Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which area of Waterford is the best to live - safe, friendly, walking distance to shops, pubs, bus..

• 13-06-2024 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

With my wife, we are thinking of moving to Waterford, but now we live in co Kerry and we don't really know where in Waterford city is the best place to live?

Any suggestions?
    Which area to avoid if you need to walk at night to the train, bus or from the pub?
    Any concerns about living in Waterford?

Thanks,

Luke.

Post edited by lukasod0303 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Not getting Waterford and Wexford confused would be a good first step!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

A lot of nice places to live in Waterford like Hillview, Collins Avenue, Hazelbourne, Sunrise Crescent etc but I don't know are any houses in those areas for sale. I would totally avoid Larchville, Norwood and St John's Park.

As for safety its like any other city. Don't go walking alone after dark use taxis when possible and have some common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lukasod0303

Apologies, I fixed my mistake. Thanks for letting me know.

Thank you very much for the tip. We are thinking of buying an apartment. I will have a look at Daft and see the possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭914

Looking for an apartment, avoid the O'Connell St/bridge St Area.

There are some really nice apartments in the cove apartments, which is a very short walk from bus stop, Uluru pub, ardkeen hospital, and probably about 3k to the city centre.

Maritana gate beside the people's park looks nice (I don't know what it's like to live there) which is literally a short stroll to the city centre, adelphi Quays also has some nice apartments and again city centre based.

Plans for plenty of apartments on Waterford's North Quays but I suspect they are 2 years away from being delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

The Old Infirmary is also a nice quiet complex. On the flip side Railway Square is another one to avoid.

Thanks,

This is crazy - they are jus min away - is almost like crossing the street. Why one is ok and second to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

I would actually say don't be put off by the general Ballybeg / Six Cross Roads area. For the most part grand & quiet, loads of new houses with young families, professionals etc moved in there. Great location too, traffic isn't too bad going anywhere really from there.

Least favourite part of town is definitely Kilcohan, just genuinely feels rough and run down out there. Would avoid.

Dunmore Road / Ardkeen area wouldn't be for me either for different reasons. Just too much traffic and hassle for not much return tbh, very overrated, a lot of the houses pretty tired and dated too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

For two reasons… the Infirmary Apartments and grounds are generally better maintained, plus it feels like more professionals live there.

The Railway Square apartments have lots of students living in them and a younger demographic hang around there. I speak from experience, lots of times there would be screaming matches outside and inside, especially after the pubs/nightclubs close and the fire alarms getting set off.

The Cove apartments are nice (but more expensive) and have a beautiful view, on the downside they can get damp, especially in winter. Same goes for the Waters Gate apartments in Bilberry.

I agree with the post that said avoid O'Connell Street and Bridge St. for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Tramore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

I lived in Parkgate house 8 years ago and it was lovely but Maritana is cold because the river sucks the heat out of the building. The Park is amazing during the day but dodgy after dark. I believe there are may be clashing cultures in there now. On the upper floors there used to be a strong 'erbal smell. Then one eastern european guy was found dead from an early heart attack.

OOh I loved that one bedroom apartment. Clean on a bus route walkable to town and bus station and bus to industrial estate. The three shippes was on my doorstep and a chipper below. I sometimes miss my batcherlor pad.

No, Tramore is nice but a bit far. We were thinking of New Ross as well, but living in New Ross, we would need a second car to get to Waterford or Wexford (apologies if this Town should not be mentioned ;)). So for us, our option is either Waterford or Wexford. We prefer Waterford because is quicker to get to Dublin, it is a bigger City so we hope more thing is going on, etc.

Thank you, this explain a lot.

Thank you, this explain a lot and this is what we really want to avoid as we live on this type of estate atm.

Du you, or anybody who already make a comment on this thread, know the area between Newtown Sports Ground and the River? Is it nice? ok? I see is more expensive than other areas of the Waterford?

Thanks,

Luke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I'd say avoid O'Connell Street, Bridge Street, Mary Street, and the Glen. Very seedy area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭914

Yes that is a nice area with some nice apartments and close to the city centre, bus route

• Registered Users Posts: 2 YoYerMa

we actually made a similar move recently. It’ll depend on your price bracket of course but we bought in the city centre and we are happy out with it. House needs a bit of work but neighbourhood is very quiet and peaceful . Lots of areas like it in town , Morrisons avenue, Hennessy’s Road , Rice Park, poleberry. Lifestyle wise it’s lovely being able to walk everywhere, everything at your doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Waterford's very safe in general.

There's definitely deprived areas like Ballybeg which people will tell you to avoid but they're fine really.

You should consider some of the villages near the city like Dunmore etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Ask the lad that started the "Non Europeans Living In Waterford" Thread, He seems like he has his finger on the pulse, sorry, he/she/they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Have you ever anything good to say? That thread/post was: This thread has already turned into a string of dog whistle and racist conspiracy crap. Its sad that our education system has failed some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I haven't a clue what you're talking about, I was taking the mick out of the poster who posted that thread, I like the way you follow all my posts and every comment I make, Obviously you are following every comment I make as you seem to know exactly all comments I make on here, Bit creepy,

• Advertisement
Advertisement