Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Elections 2024 - Results

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Is this not what we're doing now in the elections? Deciding who we want to represent Ireland's interests?😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭josip

If we look at Sean Kelly's transfers we see that Kelleher picked up almost as many as Mullins so the civil war hatchet looks well buried and both sets of voters are being practical government partners. This is important for Ni Mhurcu because at least a quarter of Mullins' 45000 votes will would go to Kelly where they cannot rest. How many of those go to Ni Mhurcu depends somewhat on whether Kelleher reaches the quota on the back of Mullins' elimination.

Whatever happens, I think Ni Mhurcu needs to close the gap to Wallace to 3000 or less before O'Sullivan's elimination. O'Sullivan is from Tramore, so Wallace might pick up some of that 'local' vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

'Ireland's interests' is a fairly complex concept, that encompasses many levels and domains. No one person or party can claim to represent 'Ireland's interests' in totality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Simple - Ni Murchu needs 6,000 more votes from the on paper 106,000 possibly available tranfers from 2 other candidates that are coalition partners with her party, than Wallace.

We seen Cuffe give O'Riordain 16,000 on Sunday, but I've a feeling this will be a lot closer. But 3,000 more than Wallace off each is all she needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Update from MNW

Gildernew has gone ahead of Mullooly due to the SF transfers, but only just.

Neck and neck between those two, all comes down to transfers of Chambers and Toibin. Gildernew is only 1,6k votes ahead, with a possible 117k of transfers to come.

Ming, Carberry, Walsh and Cowen look to be home and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Gonna be close, I'd imagine the odds are now slightly in Ni Mhurchu's favour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gildernew probably wanted to be an extra couple of thousands of votes ahead after those SF transfers. Seems very likely Mullooly will benefit more from Toibin votes than she will, so I'd say Mullooly is the clear favourite to take it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,384 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The other side of the argument is you get to policy based candidates off the list, rather than based on likability/ how many funerals they turn up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭wassie

Wow. Going to close in the South!!! Round 18 count completed.

Kelleher has been elected with a quota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Steviemak7

That's Mick gone. Grace will transfer to Cynthia. Billy's surplus will go to Cynthia too.

Only 1200 behind, surely that 5th seat will go to Ni Mhurcu?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭wassie

Why would we want to get rid of this voting system!

Death by a 1000 cuts for the candidates!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Wallace is done, he's not getting the transfers

Overall, these results are very positive for Ireland.

Daly and Wallace removed from embarrassing us on the world stage. The two Green Party candidates no longer demanding that we destroy our living standards for dubious reasons.

Hopefully the four people that take their place can reverse and repair some of the damage they've caused in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Three pretty women will send Wallace into obscurity! I would not wish better myself!

I wouldn't be surprised to see him run in the next GE. It looks like he still has a lot of supporters in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Not sure constituencies are fair because they can favour candidates.

So say there was only one, the whole country, I bet proportionally Brid Smith and AOR would get a much lower percentage of the vote and Nial Boylan would have gotten more, for example. So I'm saying the progressive far left types wouldn't do as well nationally.

They are not representing their constituency in Europe anyway in any real sense as they are supposed to be representing the whole country.

So if you want to speed thing up I think we should ditch half the candidates and everyone has the same ballot paper. It would be more fair and I would have loved to have put Brid Smith below Justin Barret just for fun.

Yeah, you'd have to think that GP voters won't go for a builder. Ni Murchu only needed 3k off the last 2, got almost 5k from 1st set.

Actually Kelleher has 5k surplus now to be redistributed. Ni Murchu outscored Wallace 3 to 1, on initial distribution so could pick up the 1,200 needed now although some will go to O'Sullivan as well

She'll be ahead of Mick when Kelleher has his 5k surplus distributed. So Mick will need more transfers from O'Sullivan than Ni Mhurchu gets. That will never happen. Green voters are not even going to put a number next to Mick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Personally I think a list system for Europe, where having an individual representative is not really important, is absolutely fine. Though I have no particular problem with our system either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭yagan

Remind me, is Kelleher's surplus counted now?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

Irish people are strange creatures imho. While personally I'm happy to see the looney left candidates eliminated a lot of the candidates put forward by the right, if not actual criminals, you certainly wouldn't leave your partner, child or pet alone in a room with them.

But the strange part is that for the most part we seem to be ok with how things are headed? Tent city, housing crisis etc. At least by support of the same parties again that's the message we're sending.

Yeah, if you look at Ni Murchu, O'Sullivan and Wallace transfers from Mullins, they are nearly 3:2:1 in ballance- so roughly 2,700, 1,800, 900 each from Kellehers 5,300. That'll put Ni Murchu ahead

Yes, all votes are used. Surpluses are redistributed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Ultimately, if you peel it right back, most people couldn't care less about a few tents on the canal. Most people(who are home owners) don't care about the housing crisis. Let's call a spade a spade.

Unemployment has never been as low, we are a nation who likes to give out regardless. If it's not the weather, it's a few tents, if it's not tents, it would be something else

The boom just got boomier babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Grand, can't that surplus helping Putin's bitch much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Presumably it's because the alternative don't offer an actual alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭bren2001

Only the votes that brought him over the quota are considered i.e. those from the last count. I assume thats what you mean but it could be interpreted that they examine all 100k+ ballots.

• Advertisement

My wife asked me a few weeks ago who were Independent Ireland, I sent a link about Michael Collins wanting to legalise prostitution. Her first words were "f*ckin Gammon". We had lived a few years in Brexit Britain were well used to that letchy type politics.

Can't see them lasting is that's their version of being enlightened, taking the criminal offence out of sexual exploitation.

Advertisement