Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** things about the 70s,80s,90s...that don't happen now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Dramatik

My parents used to bring me to work when I was a kid. I'd play around on the floor of the shop while they worked. Before I could walk, they'd have me sitting in one of those bouncy baby chairs on the desk beside them, while they served customers.

Somehow I don't think you'd get away with that kind of carry on these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

True, my dad used to bring me to work with him some Sundays when he did overtime.

He drove a Dublin bus though (then CIE)😁

When he was assigned a bus in the office I'd get the reg and run around the depot in Ringsend to find it, then sit on the shelf they had then at the front window while picking up passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Maybe it's been mentioned ...

but video screen on the back of airline seats and you could choose an actual movie to watch and the person next to you could choose a different movie to watch ...

Wild times ! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Archeron

Washing powder that would cause you to break out in hives and rashes and would advertise itself on nuclear bright orange buses that could be seen from space.

I think the clue was in the name, today Radeon sounds like something dangerous in a power plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Jimmy Saville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Those rubber strips on the rear end of cars supposed to stop car sickness or static build up. Allegedly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Radio station stickers in your car window. I think the FM104 ones used to be serial numbered and you could win prizes if your number was called out over the air.

The phrase that pays!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

???

ive even been on two flights to london that have had seat-back IFE?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

A neighbour used to always buy his cars in Cavan and get a better deal on the CN reg. He always had an LMFM sticker in the back window so everyone would know he was really a local (Meath) 🙄

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

As a 16/17 year old looking for Summer jobs having to "pound the pavement" now your mother just puts up a note on the local facebook page and your sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Funny you should say, I just got this in the door

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Not paying the school bus fare by preserving a previously issued bus ticket.

Worked a number of times for me. Kept 25 pence

Only doable with a TWO crew bus a driver and a bus conductor the one with the ticket machine.

Convince the conductor he already issued the ticket to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Suckler

The Parlour…Don't attempt to even look at the door of the Parlour, never mind set foot in there. A room accounting for 25-30% the house deemed unusable just in case the bishop/Pope/President/Visitor from America should turn up unannounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Atlantic 252 and the constant playing of 'Kiss By A Rose'.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

When I think of Atlantic 252, I think of constant playing of certain songs.

How about Virgin 1215, and Tommy Vance aka The Night Fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Bus from Dublin to Limerick stopping in Borris-in-Ossory.

Nightclubs serving a meal in the middle of the night.

Coin operated showers in the hallway of the bedsit and the fcuker next door would always jump in ahead of you.

Dunkin' Donuts.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,766 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bedsit thing there reminds me - I went to view a gaff for sale that had been split in to "apartments", they were all bar one barely better than bedsits but had a tiny bathroom wedged in; the one decent apartment was still tenanted and the poor fucker had to let us in to see his gaff as he was packing up to leave… but anyway - the hallway had two sets of a washer and dryer attached to a 32A plug; and there was a set of 32A, each wired to each individual bedsit meters. You plugged it in to the socket for your meter.

Meaning you could absolutely run your wash/drying on someone else's meter. Particularly if you were at home during the day and they weren't…

The hallway was rotten with damp/mould from all the washing going on and presumably badly vented dryers.

(the place was for sale as the owner had lived, and died, in the smallest of the bedsits; bedsit life has to be bad enough without living with the fecking landlord!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The landlord was probably minted too.... leaving a fortune to a niece/nephew they never spoke to!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,766 ✭✭✭✭L1011

House was in my price range so it alone wasn't huge; but he'd probably got twenty years of the rental income from the other rooms stuffed in a mattress.

I really must check if I've got any rich childless relatives…

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Push bikes with cotter pins on the pedals. They would invariably wear out and you'd be cycling with a terrible clunk on one side for every rotation. Eventually it got so bad you replace it. It would work for a while but it wouldn't take long for it to wear out again. Maybe it was all the jumping off curbs that did it?

Glad they are a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Pupils being sent home from school for having "punk" hairstyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

One lad from my secondary school (early 90's) came in one morning with a mohican. Biggest bogger going and the haircut didn't do anything to improve things. Our engineering teacher clocked him that morning and just burst his hole laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

fair play to him. Takes balls to have a Mohican and wear it around might have done wonders for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I miss walking down the road and seeing an 8 or 9 year old sitting on a street curb after a long day of football. He glares at you, as you pass, whilst simultaneously taking a large swig off a bottle of Cadet lemonade, thinking he is hardest man on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ireland hasn't changed that much in that regard.

Wear anything slightly out of the ordinary, especially in a pub, and it's a magnet for "gas" pass-remarkable people unable to mind their own business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

And even then they were a fecker to get out. Bating the hell out of the threaded end to get them out when the taper had worn away. I think I replaced them with regular bolts as an interim solution a few times so had wonky misaligned pedals on my Triumph 20! That and poorly repaired tubes and nearly bare tyres so that one almost always had a slow puncture. T'was great when MTB's finally came along for the gravel roads and forest tracks.

Funnily enough I was just thinking lately that our bikes were so mechanically unreliable as teenagers that one would never contemplate goin more than a few miles (or maybe we were just too lazy to go further!). Now I'd think nothing of goin on a 15-20 mile round trip (or sometimes even further) on the bike to get somewhere

Advertisement