Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting gravel to match tarmac drive

Options
  • 11-06-2024 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all looking for suggestions to try and match this lighter coloured gravel stones/chipping with the black already tarmac drive - i cannot afford to get it tarmac'ed so looking for cheap solutions, and its purely for cosmetic/aesthetic reasons.

I have 2 ideas, get some of that black road gravel they chuck on the road when its icy or in summer when tar starts melting for grip and just rake it over the top. - but then again I am thinking that could be a fair ol price getting that delivered and the amount I would need.

My second Idea, and I know it sounds like a crazy one but as i say i am on a low budget, is to get one of these knapsack weed sprayer things you pump up and just spray black masonry paint all over the gravel thats already there to try and match it in (colourwise) to the existing tarmac drive - maybe even water down/dilute the paint first so that it dont block up the nozzle of the sprayer -would it work?

(Yes I know I will have to remove them dead weeds one day before I do anything , I will be doing that. )

any ideas what to do with it apart from getting it done with tarmac?

thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi Andy.

Dont use paint, it will just come off and become a pollutant. Tarmac restorer or even tarmac edging and jointing spray would be better lasting.

https://www.smartseal.ie/coatings/tarmac-sealer-restorer/tarmac-restorer_1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Get a ton of slack for delivered for £255 from Coal Warehose and rake it out nice and level.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

You'll never get the colours to look right, you'll always have that two-tone effect. I think the best thing to do is to extend the lawn out to the tarmac, or at least close to the edge of the tarmac. If you raked topsoil over the gravel that's there and kept it watered until the grass takes hold you'd have a decent lawn in no time. Of course, if you wanted you could take up the gravel before spreading topsoil but I don't think that's absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

yes, i know it will more than likely would never match up, but if its pretty close or closer than it is it will look so much better I think.
    The thing is the grass was there , it was removed originally to make more room on the drive to turn around. So I wont be putting grass back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would probably try the darkest oil based wood stain I could find and use the sprayer from your OP.

Avoid Paint, it will just chip and look crap.

• Advertisement

If you need the space and tarmac isn't an option I think I'd go in the opposite direction completely. I would emphasis the difference in texture and colour and make a feature of it. I think I'd look for nice gravel or woodchip mulch or something to spread on the area that isn't tarmac. Trying to hide the difference in the surfaces might be a bit like a bald man with a combover; it's unconvincing and a little comical.

Each to their own, but loose stone/gravel on the driveway beside grass would drive me insane :)

OP, Sealcoating tarmac/asphalt is a big thing in the US, not so sure about over here, but if you reseal the whole thing, using the stuff that 10-10-20 said you will probably get the "best" result.

Maybe I've misunderstood the OP but there are currently loose stones there and he's looking at colouring or disguising what's there, so whatever he does there is going to be a loose surface there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

This is the nearest I can find to what you're looking for - Dunno anything about this crowd personally

Or this lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭shane b

Road planings may be another option. I dont know if its for sale to the general public. Maybe ring some quarries and find out.

yes that stone looks good, looks like the existing stone used for the tarmac part

i might try some of this. what do you reckon? 25Kg bag

• Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Even if you could make them match for a day, they will weather differently and look more and more different over time, it might be better to create a bigger contrast between them and make them look deliberately different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'd say no, it's not aimed for what you want to do - and even on the maths alone, 25kg for €20/25 -v- a ton for €60 is mad

Stick with something out of the links I posted would be my rec

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The other very messy option is to cold tar spray the lot and then spread chippings of your choice on that. A bit like the really cheap way CoCo's do our back roads.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement