Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

35k value car to trade in against a 40k car - best way

Options
  • 13-06-2024 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a 320 BMW to trade in. I value this car at about 35-37k want to trade in again Toyota Camry which say is roughly 40 K. what’s the best way to negotiate with the dealer to get the best deal for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

What you value it at and what the dealer values at will be different. Remember the dealer will have to make a % on the sale of your car and also presumably factor in a warranty and possibly service etc which will impact the trade in price. If you truly believe its worth that value, then put a deposit on the camry to hold it and sell your car privately at what you believe its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭User1998

You’re probably not going to get a good deal trading in a car so similar in value. The dealer needs to prep and warranty both cars, and make a profit on both cars. So what you value your car at is kind of irrelevant to be honest. What is the year mileage and spec of your 320?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭kifi

2019 320D XDrive, 166k km

yes the newer model not m sport but has extras such as auto door locking and motorised boot lid - whatever package bmw called that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Sono

Think you could be in for a nasty surprise when you go to trade in, alternative is to sell yours privately but most people don't want the hassle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

if it’s really worth €34k, put it on DoneDeal and go to the dealer with full payment.

There are X-Drive models in dealers now for €29k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭goochy

a dealer will only do the deal if he wants your car and can make money on car he is selling - if a dealer has camry marked up by 2k - he can make 2k and either sell off your car to another dealer or make say another 2k retailing the bmw

just dont expect discount off camry and a great trade in on bmw - he could probably sell the camry just as easily to someone trading in say a 20k car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Is a 5-year old high mileage 320 Diesel really worth the guts of €40k?

So realistically it would be similar enough to this one being sold by a dealer for €26k? Apart from it being X-Drive and probably some differences in spec?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/36845992

I’m unsure why you are valuing your car at 35k to 37k? I would have said it had a trade value of maybe €21k or so if its a high mileage non M-Sport model. Unless someone more knowledgeable on BMW’s can correct me?

• Advertisement

I valued it with this as a reference, but yes maybe I’m a bit high

https://approvedused.bmw.ie/vehicle/202405079448801?quoteref=42d9ef64-3dab-40bf-ba94-91fdfdd48fd5

That car is M Sport, one year newer, half the mileage, and being sold by a BMW main dealer. I think the trade in value of your car is around €21k or so if I’m honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Water2626262

you are in for a shock. Dealers are now overstocked and have been low balling trade ins since covid. You might be lucky to get 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You'll just have to call and find out, no one here can tell you, too many factors at play.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Main dealer.
    msport.
    approved used car warranty.
    newer.

This is nowhere near your car OP unfortunately. Sarsfield have one for €28k.

so I should get a lower price on buying the used car too?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, not a hope that car is valued anywhere near 35k, low 20s trade in value is more realistic I'd say. Non M Sports are harder to sell so worth less while xdrive won't really add anything.

If you’re looking to buy a Camry priced at €40k I can guarantee you will need to pay around €20k out of pocket to trade into the Camry.

The only way you’ll pay less than that is if the car you’re buying is overpriced and the dealer has lots of profit margin to give you a better trade in offer.

I bought the car for 38k 12 months ago and was just offered 20k by a Toyota dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GPoint

why selling after only 12 months then ? If you think you will need to spend on repairs soon then just save a few grand and repair it rather than wasting 18 k in one year and getting a Camry used . 320 d will last you another 5 years easily if maintained

• Advertisement

20k is about right if you can buy a similar example for a shade under 25k. The Toyota dealer probably offered you a trade price for it as they more than likely will not resell it on their forecourt due to it not meeting the Toyota used car warranty criteria/high mileage. It will just be sold onto a smaller independent dealer.

If you want a bit more money for it then try selling it privately.

I want something more comfortable and reliable

yes will sell privately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Sono

If you do decide to sell it privately, maybe throw the ad up here, someone might be interested in it……

Sure you’ll only get about €20k for it privately if there are dealers asking €25k or so for similar examples. Also I’m not sure how much comfier a Camry will be compared to a non M Sport 3 Series.

see this for example

https://approvedused.bmw.ie/vehicle/202402287030784?quoteref=66eee09c-c6d3-42ae-ae8c-cab03529c67e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭granturismo

And what price do you think this trader accepted this car as a trade in?

BMW main dealers always ask silly money for used cars at the best of times but that dealer is probably the dearest in the country. They always price stuff at silly high prices. It's also a year younger.

Also you cannot compare asking prices against trade in prices. That asking price includes a 2 year warranty which doesn't come free. Again, it's an asking price, you have no idea how much that car will actually sell for when the dealer gets tired of seeing it gathering moss on their forecourt.

There have already been posted in this thread, examples of cars of similar age and mileage being advertised at 25k by dealers.

But what point are you trying to make? Again, its a year newer, less mileage, being sold by BMW with main dealer warranty. Your comparing apples and oranges here. Non franchise dealers are selling your car for €25k, so therefore the trade in value is €20k.

• Advertisement

the point I’m trying to make is that people here are saying dealers are selling them in the 20s. That isn’t the case for the majority of them. The car in the example of pretty close on mileage but manual transmission and no leather.

Advertisement