Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

He took over PSG halfway through the season and ended up with a 1 point difference from when he took over! In other news Terzic has left Dortmund so maybe heading to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

He took over PSG when they were a point behind Lille at the midway point of the season.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a top level manager at PSG to overturn a 1 point difference with half a season to go

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/24/paris-saint-germain-psg-thomas-tuchel-mauricio-pochettino

" Tuchel has paid the price for a slow start in Ligue 1, where PSG have four defeats in their first 17 games and are a point behind Lyon and Lille."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Couldn't understand why Villa would sell Duran when they only have Watkins but apparently some weird clause means they've automatically re-signed Cameron Archer after Sheffield United went down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

would not be surprised if we sell archer again too. Duran has huge potential but is seemingly agitating for a move and villa can get a very healthy profit for a player who didn’t start for us and ease our psr concerns in one go.

no doubt if both are moved on Villa will be looking at the CF market once the June 30th deadline has passed. I’m hoping for someone like Jonathan David (moving into his final year and essentially up for sale as a result at Lille) myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Villa really need to keep as many of their first 15 as possible from last season, otherwise they could do a Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yup, definitely unfair. The only team he's done less than very good at is PSG, which is about as unsuitable a club as one could imagine for a manager like him. He's a builder, and a guy who gets guys pulling together for a greater whole - PSG at that stage was galacticos-central. Still did fine, got his league (winning by 15 points) and cup there, so I'd forgive him for that bit of a blip in his first few months there (i'll forgive absolutely any manager not hitting the ground running in their first half-season, especially arriving into a club mid-season).

And that Leicester season isn't much of a stick to beat him with - he was only in a title race because other teams were rubbish, but Spurs got basically exactly the number of points you'd have expected, with a 5 point improvement on the previous season finishing with 69 points. Not really his fault that 69 points actually put him reasonably close to a title. And that was only his second season there, well short of the peak they went onto.

The following season they finished with a frankly incredible 86 points - that was their peak. To have achieved a points total like that with as little resources as he had was fantastic.

It's not that Poch doesn't have certain skills. He does. I just don't think he has that top level ability to win trophies. He's been a manager for over a decade and the only club he's picked up silverware at is a club that would have won those trophies with or without him.

I don't want to rehash the same stuff again but it isn't a small sample size.

That Southampton team were good - maybe could have won a league cup etc.. But won't hold that against him.
    That Spurs team were good enough to win something but didn't. It was a time where other big clubs were going through transitions as well so can't blame it on the all-conquering Man City. I don't think it's crazy to suggest they could have won an FA cup, League cup or Europa League in his 5 seasons.
    He under-delivered at PSG. PSG have won 10 out of the last 12 league titles. 1 of those seasons they failed came under Poch. It's not a good look.
    Won nothing again at Chelsea - although the squad was a bit of a mess.

Maybe at his next club he will find an environment that best suits him but he did also accept the PSG and Chelsea jobs knowing full well how those clubs were run.

I think it's important to match the expectation with the achievement… like, had he been at United, or Liverpool, or Arsenal for years and didn't win a trophy, fair enough. But he wasn't. Sure, there was a possibility he could win something, and got close, but there wasn't an expectation that he would. Getting 86 points and a Champions League Final with an outsider team is really impressive. He's come closer to breaking Spurs into the top tier than any other manager in decades. And since Pep came to England 8 years ago, only 3 managers have ever finished above him - Klopp, Conte, and Pochettino.

And sure, not winning a French league in a season he arrived halfway during is a bit disappointing… but he did actually only arrive halfway through. Not sure it's all that fair to blame the fella who came in after someone else was sacked. In reality it takes any manager a bit of time to figure out their squad, get to know the lay of the land etc - putting the expectation to succeed arriving cold in mid-season, no prep, no preseason, no time, is unfair imo. When given the full season - as is more reasonable to base success on - he won the league comfortably.

And imo getting that rabble at Chelsea into the shape to finish the season with 5 months of top-4 form was a terrific job too. Clear obvious work vastly improving what was there. It's that sort of turnaround that would make me fear United if he went there.

No because he won nothing with Chelsea either. I didn't hear much clamour of him instead of this Arnie fella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He was still at Chelsea when Liverpool had a deal done with Slott. Given their form in the last few months I'd imagine most people thought he was safe for another year.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd have been fine if he had been announced as new Liverpool boss (though of course no-one saw him leaving Chelsea given the vast improvement there under him since Christmas, but I guess maybe we should've figured Chelsea might Chelsea themselves).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I like poch, did well at spurs, kept them very competitive, hasn't found the right club since. Not winning something in the klopp and pep era in no argument against him. I suppose losing a league to Leicester is a black mark. Wouldn't have had a problem him coming to Liverpool.

he might end up at Liverpool yet as I’m not sure Slot is the man there.

I have this vague sense that Slot is seen as a bit of a lower-risk shot to nothing - does a lot of things quite like Klopp, similar personality, likes similar players, uses a similar style, so if they can keep the good times rolling without major upheavel or rebuilding then it's all good. If it doesn't work, then they can take the bigger risk of someone who will need more new signings and system changes, like going for Alonso next season for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I just can't see how Slot works out. The guy could indeed be a great manager, but I think Liverpool will have a hard time convincing the likes of Alision, Trent, McAllister etc to get behind the project. The guys that signed because off, and that want to work with the best in the business like Klopp maybe looking elsewhere as soon as things goes sour. Salah will most likely be off next summer anyways and not sure what contract VVD will be offered. Interesting times ahead for them.

We'll have to see - though I think it helps that Liverpool have wholly revamped the behind-the-scenes positions with highly rated staff, along with getting back Edwards and Ward. With the talent and strong age profile in the squad, and this rebuilt club structure, it's quite an exciting project - so as much as there's this feeling of an 'end' with Klopp, there's also the excitement of a promising beginning. Think it'll start with new contracts for Trent and VVD right away anyway, locking them in for another few years - and hopefully Mo too, but that one is probably a bit trickier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone see the details coming out around the Crystal Palace main shirt sponsor? Basically looks like a fake company but the they've used the image of a dead tictoker as the supposed CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I actually think that Trent contract is crucial for them. Top class young player just coming into his peak years. If there's any signs of him not committing or stalls on the contract, it could spell bad news for Slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ex-Liverpool midfielder Nuri Şahin is the new Dortmund manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm with the guys saying he hasn't won anything. Great at putting a squad together but I just think he is too nice of a guy and doesn't have the ruthlessness in him to get a team over the line.

I like him, like the style of football his teams play but he's just not a winner. He's just too nice of a guy.

I guess I just don't really understand the difference between the ruthlessness to win a semi final from a few goals down, and the ruthlessness to win the final. Or the ruthlessness to get 86 points in a year when someone else got a bit more, versus in a year when someone else didn't get a bit more.

If Kane puts away a few chances in the league cup final back in 2015 and Spurs win the league cup, does that inherently mean Poch was actually ruthless all along? I dunno… I think managers are more responsible for the hard yards, building teams and getting them into positions to win things or bash out decent league points totals - ultimately (short of some overt tactical mistake) it's players on the day that win or lose finals.

If players don't perform, and I'm talking about more than one, then that's on the manager. He's not just responsible for putting out good formations and tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

They would not be alone. Josimar have previously reported on such issues with sponsors/partners of Aston Villa, Burnley, Man City and Wolves. There is no apparent vetting of the gambling companies, in many cases they are fronted by a white label company service based in the Isle of Man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ex-Liverpool player is a bit of a stretch, the club got him on loan from Real Madrid for a short period and the manager at the time had no interest in playing him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Not only that but it appears Wolves sponsors and the Palace ones are the same company… both the Debet and Net88 trademarks were filed on the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jaysus, it only seems like yesterday that the Liverpool thread was ripping chunks out of each other on how useless this fellah was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It’s results orientation, football fans really struggle with the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Brighton appoint the St Pauli manager Hurzeler, at 31 the youngest manager ever in the PL, a good 7 years younger than Milner who he will be managing next year.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/15/brighton-confirm-fabian-hurzeler-31-new-head-coach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

If you haven't been involved in coaching it's a lot harder to have a good idea about it.

Have you coached much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Unless you've coached at a much higher level than almost anyone in Ireland, your experience and insight is likely much closer to that of someone who has never coached for a single training session/game than it is to someone at the absolute top level.

I'm not making any assumptions, and happy to be wrong, but what level have you coached at to make such confident statements?

(Disclosure; I've not done anything more than local kids level myself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Yes, but its some ssssssssssstttttttttttttttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh to define a player who played 7 games from a 350 game career (i.e. 2%) as an ex-player for that club!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

What an odd take - he played in total 12 times for Liverpool, scored 3 goals. So yes , he is an ex Liverpool player.

OK. Sorry, 12 games from 350, practically a legend at the club. I'm waiting for the mural.

Here is what "This Is Anfield" said "Forgotten ex-Liverpool man announced as the new Dortmund manager". More accurate me-thinks, but yes, pedantic though it is he is an ex-player. Mea culpa, mea cupla, mea maxima culpa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Nobody says he was a legend. Just that he was an ex player, an innocuous comment that is undeniably true. Not sure why it seems to rattle you so.

It just seemed strange based on how little of his career was at the club.

e.g. Here are two players in the England squad, both with equally valid descriptions.

"Ex-Norwich player selected by Southgate for Euros squad" and "Ex-Chelsea player starts for England vs. Serbia"

Both are 100% accurate but to me, not the most relevant description of the players I have in mind.

Yeah, but it was said in an online forum that is mostly EPL focused. So linking him to an English side isn't that strange.

It's like when you see a story about say Diego Forlan over here it will be published as ex-Utd player Diego Forlan when everything that Forlan achieved of note in his career happened away from OT. But the line that an ex-Utd player is more interesting to us.

It's not the same as say calling Lampard an ex-City player in a headline as they are both from the PL so you go with the one they are most known for.

You do realise the more you talk about it the more of a Liverpool legend he becomes? 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They linked him to the only English club he played for, it was a wholly unremarkable thing to do. Such a strange thing to get wound up about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I would think of Kim Kallestrom as "ex Arsenal player" and he played 4 out of 674 career club games for the club 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If he signed on as coach of Spurs, I would 100% expect him to be referred to as 'Ex-Arseanl player'. and depending on the site/paper, 'Star' or 'Legend' or 'Hero'.

I can clearly see that I am in a minority here, with even less people on my side than Premier League appearances by Kim "the Gooner" Källström :) I will do my homework and study hard for the 2024-25 season!

4,776 players have made at least one Premier League appearance. James Milner has played against 2,277 of them.

From van Aanholt, Patrick to Zverotić, Elsad. I'll squeeze this in before the new fixtures are announced tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Transfermarkt says he’s played with 274 of them (on the pitch at the same time). 0mins with Caulker, he came on in the 90th minute of the 5-4 away to Norwich, all the way up to 9275mins with Bobby Firminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

First Weekend fixtures

Friday 16th August 2024
    Man Utd v Fulham (20:00) - Live on Sky Sports

Saturday 17 August 2024
    Ipswich Town v Liverpool (12:30) - Live on TNT Sports
    Arsenal v Wolves
    Everton v Brighton
    Newcastle United v Southampton
    Nottingham Forest v AFC Bournemouth
    West Ham v Aston Villa (17:30) - Live on Sky Sports

Sunday 18 August 2024
    Brentford v Crystal Palace (14:30) - Live on Sky Sports
    Chelsea v Man City (16:30) - Live on Sky Sports

Monday 19 August 2024
    Leicester City v Spurs (20:00) - Live on Sky Sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

No offense to Villa fans but West Ham vs Villa is a throughly uninspiring choice for the first Sat evening game. I know every game is accessible now so what does it matter but if I was paying full whack for Sky TV I wouldn't be impressed with that

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement