Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

what you would save on energy bills with new v old cheaper house would probably would probably enable any shared equity to be repaid within 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

How many new build completions actually make it onto the open market where HTB/FTB buyers can actually get hold of them? Or is it just apartments that are being hoovered up by funds..

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

it’s not “the funds” to worry about. It’s the councils and housing bodies buying everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Thought councils were doing more buying up of individual properties rather than buying entire developments. Not that it makes much difference to the wannabee owner-occupier which deep pocketed organisation they are competing with..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I rented and used to feel sorry for people who had bought before the crash. Roll on just over a decade and i was the one i was feeling sorry for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

Not so sure about that one

1500 each for annual average gas and electricity, that's 15000 over 5 years.

That what stands out most, in a year of 35k first time buyers only 5k purchased new homes with all the subsidies. Is the price gone beyond the vast majority of ftb

Another bit of related info was that the top 7.7% pay more than 50% of the income tax. If this is the case that 7.7% seriously skews the average wage in the country, which begs the question what is the average salaries of the first time buyer demographic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Help to buy is only up to €500k, which rules out nearly every new property in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭hometruths

Where are you getting 35k FTBs purchasing last year from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭DataDude

The income tax stat is more a reflection of just how ‘progressive’ the tax system is here than the distribution of salaries. You go from paying almost no income tax at sub 40k income to paying an awful lot real quick once you enter the 48%/52% brackets. If you plot the effective rate of tax in Ireland vs salary it’s quite remarkable the shape of it.

The average income of a FTB (household) in 2023 was €88k. On average they borrowed 3.3x income and they were on average 35 years old. In dublin the average FTB household income is north of €100k I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

For all the abuse the government take on housing I’m always so surprised how rare it is for the actual facts to be discussed. They don’t seem to be getting the positive messages out very well

I wonder if polled how many Irish people would know we are building more houses per person than any country in Europe - significantly more than double the average. Surely this deserves some credit? As well as being the biggest in absolute terms, we are also increasing our output faster than any other country. Remarkable.

https://www.ey.com/en_ie/news/2024/06/irish-housing-completions-forecast-to-be-strongest-among-19-european-countries-ey-euroconstruct

Ireland is different.

Now where have I heard that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

it is remarkable, but it doesn’t fit the narrative to acknowledge it, nor the insane fact that even though our population is the highest since the Famine, we have full employment, achieved within a decade of a catastrophic economic collapse, and a few years of a global pandemic. In any other country, that would be lauded.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I understand the sentiment as people will indeed always find something to moan about, but this is absolutely not unique to Ireland in any way shape or form.

And as things to moan about go, the state of Irish property market is a very, very easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I didn’t say it was unique, but the successes achieved should at least be acknowledged. There is a definite sense of entitlement, and a lack of understanding of just how well we have recovered from a dire situation. If anything, we have rebounded to well, too fast, and property development has not kept pace from a near standing start. I can’t help but think there are those who resent how good the recovery has been and that there are so many high paying jobs which mean young people haven’t needed to emigrate for work. Building houses will never keep pace with job creation in an environment which has been created in this country over the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

One of the biggest problems and this is an article in the FT today; is that inflation is potentially worse than a recession, but it is not easy to measure this for individuals. So, when people think of 2008-13 they think of a recession whereas 2021-24 have been inflationary which is utterly obliterating so much of people’s income, that it “feels” like the years of 2009-13 but just a bit different in a way that maybe cannot be accurately, verbally explained by people but they can sense it and see it in the amount of cash they have at the end of each month.

Property acts as an inflation hedge so it makes sense that less people are being hit as hard as they would have been 2009-13 given the number of homeowners in the country but at the same time they are not immune. The big losers, suffering equivalently to how they did 2009-13 are younger people and added to this for this era are those that are renting, who probably feel like they are working to stand still due to inflation. We had massive unemployment 2009-13 and this is bad for the whole economy but it is pretty bad for the individual to be working to stand still, possibly even worse given the time and effort that working entails.

This is not all to say that 2009-13 was better than 2021-2024 but that these last few years could be said to be on a slightly better level than 2009-13 because inflation can be and absolutely is awful for those impacted. Renting and not being able to squirrel away decent savings means many people are drifting along aimlessly in life due to inflation and home ownership is that life raft just out of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

Mention property taxes increasing to capture some of the huge price appreciation in the market and watch them try to play the poor man despite being paper millionaires!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Gary_dunne

The problem is the majority of properties being built in Ireland don't make it to the general market.

Of the houses built last year 32695, only 27% went on sale on the market. 73% of new properties were one-off houses (not on sale to public) or apartments for rent or social housing. In Dublin City Centre 94% was apartments (needed) but only 2% went for sale to the public 98% were private rent or social housing. We definitely need more apartments but to have only 27% of the record year of housing going on sale in the market is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I agree. The government is too active in the housing market - but this is because it’s the popular position now. Sort the homeless and the housing list is the main pressure they get. The government were losing serious ground to the SF mantra of social housing for all so have moved further left in their own position with no real right wing opposition to fend off.

The issue of the private market producing apartments to rent over purchase is just an economic/societal one. Young people in Ireland don’t want to buy apartments. They are very expensive to build. The only way they are viable is if they are build to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They are very expensive to build. The only way they are viable is if they are build to rent.

But then they are also only viable if the rents are high. So rents won't materially come down with more apartments either, if rents do start to decrease apartment supply will dry up.

The issue is the cost of delivery, that needs tackled, not pushing up demand to make it viable.

What funny is that I think the best way out of the rent for anyone is to buy a 1 bed apartment and save the difference between the mortgage and the rent. Buy one as soon as you can get the loan for it. There will be less competition than for bigger apartments and houses. They are cheaper. You can afford one faster than you can afford a bigger place. And you would be renting one or a room share anyway if you didnt buy it, so its still an improvement.

Find a way out of the rent trap as soon as you can and then save the difference. Your mortgage will not go up at the same rate rent will. Save the difference and then trade up in a few years if you even need to. I think the last bit of value in the market is buying a 1 bed apartment if you are currently renting or sharing. I dont see that value staying too long though as they are going up fast now too.

This was the general thinking when I was in my mid to late 20s, and rents were pretty reasonable back then.

Buy an apartment as first rung on the property ladder, start building up equity instead of continuing to pay rent, then sell and trade up when you need to. You'd have bought an apartment thinking you might trade up three or four times over the course of next 30 years. The thinking being each rung on the ladder improved your prospects for the next rung.

Things are very different now.

I moved into a house this year that needs some work. I can do it all myself but it will take me a year or two.

My friends in my age group come up to visit and they are disgusted that it wasnt walk in brand new. One even asked me if i saw it before i bought it. Those same friends still moan that they will never be able to afford a house and they might as well not bother saving and blow all their money on holidays and restaurants.

Im learning as i go. Some great diy tutorials on youtube. I would rather learn how to do it than pay the new build premium. Well i cant afford the new build premium so no choice really. My only problem is time, but sure if it takes us a year or two longer to do it all, because we have to fit it around work and life, thats what we will have to do.

Im getting quite good at painting, digging, wiring, gardening, plumbing, woodwork and flooring. Oh and demolition :) Even did a bit of block laying the other day.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Thats a sample size of n=1 or thereabouts?

My experience is most people who don't yet own a house would bite your hand off just to get a doer upper these days, such are the prices in the market right now.

I have never met anyone disgusted that a house was not new build

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

and many FTBs are older now plus are finding it much harder to save deposits with nose bleed rents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

down the country it is far less e.g. 375k ruling out many of the new 430k houses - perhaps house prices are simply too high if FTBs are still struggling to buy them even with all the multiple government supports.........

• Advertisement

They werent disgusted that it wasnt a new build. They were disgusted that i would buy a doer upper and move into it BEFORE it was done up. Ever met anyone like that?

Advertisement