Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nonetheless

Maybe Ryan should consider taking a break or rather give the UK and Ireland a break. He could re-sit his leaving cert and while he is at it go back and study broadcasting - particularly the basics of presentation and how to do a link, operate the equipment and listen to his guests when doing interviews, let them talk rather than interrupting and making every chat about himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭GSF

Maybe he’s saving his holiday leave for later in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I personally find the article could be very interesting but let down by the writing. Also describing Whitby as a cross between Bray and Bundoran is strange. Whitby is a town of great heritage with architectural merit. As a Bookman, I was surprised he didn’t reference Harrogate being the place famous crime author Agatha Christie disappeared to for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭yagan

I'm surprised he didn't mention that it was at Whitby the early Irish church was usurped by Roman rites. Irish rites continued to observed up to the last monks on the skelligs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Again a brief clip, he was talking about a programme that featured on Celebrity Gogglebox about a guy eating raw meat. Just why…

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Checks Evoke website……………

Nope. Still not getting old. 😂

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That never fails to amuse me!

Just as an example, the first link of the 3rd hour at 12:06 coming out of an adblock on Virgin (news on Q102) opens with Hello friends… One of the most basic and important aspects of when presenting on a music formatted radio station and attempting to connect or establish an audience is to give the impression that you are 'one on one' with that listener. Radio is theatre of the mind and those subtleties are extremely important at a subconscious level. Although it may appear trivial, it does go to show that there was very little tutoring or coaching at RTE. Mike Cass at Virgin seems to be letting this slide, leaving Tubridy with a free reign to some degree but he will not be interested in tutoring him on the finer details of presenting music radio if those listenership figures deteriorate further, especially if there are other more capable presenters available.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Tubridy was billed as an "Irish broadcasting legend" by Virgin back in January. Would be hard to tutor a legend in the very field he's supposedly legendary in. A bit like an American soccer coach telling Lionel Messi he needs to work on his first touch!

• Advertisement

Tubridy will not take on any professional critique input anyway. Apart from the whole NK management connections thing and the Chris Evans influence, they put Tubridy on in an attempt to improve listenership figures for that 10am to 1pm slot. They would be of the thinking that Tubridy's 'unique' type of personality presentation would achieve that goal or at least attract a greater Irish demographic in the UK but taking the most recent set of RAJARs that is clearly not the case. Depending on how future figures go, the PD at Virgin will just gather that data and even though he may say such things as Ryan is a nice guy etc. Sooner or later he may have to make a decision.

The exclusion of Bryan from a lot of recent virgin radio promotion material suggests a most passive interest from the station.

Perhaps their commitment to Bryan is as long as the attached paddy power sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭GSF

Bryan must be wondering why he didn’t stand to be an MEP. 5 years of a salary equivalent to that what he was used to and loads of opportunities for people off the telly or radio. And the crankier you are the better your chances of winning

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Today's podcast guest is … Noel Fitzpatrick! (AKA Supervet from TV, no I didn't know either).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Problem with that is you have to actually be liked enough by people for them to vote for you….

Us simply being told Bryan Tubridy is the best there is might work for (and did work for) RTÉ, but when the people actually have a say…. they can be told whatever they want, but a mouldy biscuit will always be a mouldy biscuit, and no amount of being told otherwise will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I though that was Den's Pet vet who happens to be an NK talent! but no he's kinda of known in England.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭supereurope

And apparently, Britney Spears' "Toxic" was written about him. I appreciate this sounds made-up, but "Toxic" was written by Cathy Dennis (who had a few hits herself in the early 90s) and she used to date Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭RoTelly

🤣 Now I want it to be The Den's Pet Vet, who would go on to host the Vet section on Ireland AM. His claim to fame: -

"Yeah, in the first years Britney was being promoted not very big, still on Disney and her song writer joined her on a press tour of Ireland around 1996, so she was on The Den, she liked cats I liked cats, I was a Vet, she had a dog back home, it was a long distance relationship, she'd come to Dublin, I'd go to LA, nothing major, animal passion and all that! …. then the song … then she went off with Zig …. cause brother problems with Zag who was more of the lady's man according to him … don't know what happened after that then Britney release the song. Heavy days. But sure now I am on Ireland AM."

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Still insistent on talking constantly about Irish people, phrases, culture and of course berating his production team. For some reason he kept referring to Kildare in a lot of his links and more Cillian Murphy name drops.

Coming out of 12 o'clock he crashed another music vocal, this time Annie Lennox's Walking On Broken Glass. There is absolutely no excuse for this as there is a GIANT countdown clock allocated to EVERY song as part of RCS ZETTA - and this is on a big screen in front of Tubridy. The timer counts back in BIG LARGE CAPITAL SIZED BOLD NUMBERS 7, 6, 5, 4.... giving him reasonable warning as to when the next song and vocal will commence. This is happening way too much and is not being corrected, normally these kind of blunders would not be tolerated on Virgin Radio UK or on most other radio stations for that matter. Flawless execution when going into a music track would be considered a basic expectation.

Post edited by nonetheless on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The "extra bag of sweets" from last week, and this week going on about some apple drops or something. His whole persona is built upon some non-existent "the way it used to be" charade, presumably to keep instamammies happy that the cheeky chirper is doing "well".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,466 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Give him a break, he's only been in radio for what, 25 years?

He might even make the senior hurling yet. He's only getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

I'm starting to wonder is it some sort of passive sabotage. Production team are fully aware but just sit back and let it happen.

The Q102 version is plagued with issues every time I tune in - long periods of dead air, jingles crashing music, music crashing jingles, earlier this week there was very audible crackling when I passed on the radio that I thought he'd spun a vinyl record only it carried on underneath subsequent links, ads and jingles. Obviously no-one is even monitoring the output on this side between 10 and 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I’m barred from Instatubridy so appreciate clips here 🤣

In the case of the RTE piece, it's an example of having one celebrity on the downward slope of his career commenting on a wannabe celebrity who is on the downward slope of their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Promoting his podcast today in his IMoS column. Also covers the Muppets and Jim Henson.

Regards…jmcc

Saw the column linked on another thread.
    He says something about 'the man child I was to become'. Um, what adult thinks that's a positive thing to say about themselves. 🥴

Still hanging grimly onto the Toyman nonsense, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Writing is a discipline. It is hard work to create something interesting that people want to read week after week. Without the infrastructure and environment of RTE, he hasn't much left. His numbers on Virgin Radio aren't great. The second quarter (April to June) ends in a few weeks. His Eason sponsored podcast isn't as popular as the lead podcast in the NKM stable ("Paths To Power" with Matt Cooper and Ivan Yates). Around the time of the David Walliams interview, he was talking about writing a new children's book (I think). Hard not to feel sorry for him as his past is all he has now.

Regards…jmcc

• Advertisement

Writing is a discipline

I'm well aware of that.

Advertisement