Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parkrun, lap two

Options
1353637383941»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Not at all. Futher away than ever. I heard the car park is gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I passed through it a few weeks back. From the Celbridge town side everything looks ok but as you get towards the house and motorway side, everything appears very unkempt. Looks like a lot of remediation work going on at the main house. Place looks poorly compared to when I was there prior to the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Looks like it will be my NENDY parkrun for the foreseeable future so 😏.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I did the Athlone RSC parkrun this morning. Very sunny with a strong enough breeze so wasn't breaking any records but very nice run. I like the out and back part where you get to wave to your friends. I could easily see it being a pb course.

Everything you need there- toilets coffee 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

i did it a few weeks ago. A vast improvement over their previous route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I did the Dodder Valley parkrun for the last few weeks since the Marley run is off for the concerts. Well organized with a very friendly crowd.

The last stretch as you come back towards the finish line is tough with a slight incline and a headwind, no records broken but I will be going back again for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Slipped under 25 minutes for the first time this weekend. This time last year I was struggling through couch 25k on a treadmill. Only managed my first outdoor 5k with my first parkrun on March 30th in 29:30. I think I've burned through all the easy gains though!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭nice bit of green

Well done you, the better times are a lovely feeling. However, even if the times do not improve or a PB feels very far away (mine was 14 months ago and feels miles off), just going out and doing the exercise is the real winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

You'll get to 21/22 minutes soon enough based on that progression, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

I did Claremorris at the weekend, a lovely event and setting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

This is my local park run and having only started doing it this year i love it. Good crowds and the course is good - wide paths pretty much throughout with a nice hill at the end. I know what you mean about the crosswinds though haha

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Random question, does VHI still give you a run credit if you do a Northern Ireland parkrun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

• Registered Users Posts: 5 beckybb

No, you only get the credit for parkrun events in the Republic as Vitality, not the VHI, are the sponsors for UK events.

EDIT that was a reply to question from flazio

Thank you @beckybb Must remember to stay south of the border on bank holidays.

Meanwhile looks like there's trouble at the top for Oranmore Parkrun. The picture is blurry but it looks like they've thrown out their event director and are looking for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Started running in February and have only done four so far. Trying to do ten different ones for my first ten as I'm into other hobbies where stats matter!

So far Tramore Valley (ok), Youghal (quite enjoyed that one), UL (bit of a narrow course due to growth) but Bere Island wins despite the hills. Seems to be a popular one for milestones, running royalty was in the building that day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

8 years after my local parkrun made international news because of some grumpy parish councillors, the "replacement" event restarted today about half a mile away and in a different parish (although with some of the same councillors). But more importantly this parish council doesn't have the final say over the use of the course for the new event so they just get to grumble a bit in the background and the county Council said yes to parkrun.

Was one of the worst kept secrets in Bristol parkrun world today and just over 400 turned up, I expect a good number more than that in the next few weeks. It's a double out and back course on mostly gravel paths which seemed to just about accommodate the numbers. Plenty of parking at a big Tesco down the road.

Great event, and loads of people in apricot tops with the name of the former event.

What was the old event called and what's the new event called?

And through some googling Three Brooks is the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sorry, just a habit of being vague when talking about these parkrun locations online which I fell into without realising.

Twitter/X/Twix/whatever account that might be worth following is @ new5kparkruns it's able to see behind the curtain and work out when new events are getting set up around the World.

For example I believe this unnamed Irish run is going to be in some woods just outside Portlaoise.

https://x.com/new5kparkruns/status/1817213813931794604?t=O9bGdJEhojOzgmoK4ICnfg&s=19

Dirty rumour I'm hearing is that over in the UK British Athletics were looking into the private Parkrun system that's used for overseas military bases and Progression run here to set up "elite" invite only parkruns in the UK. Apparently they were going to ask applicants to submit their local times and if good enough they'd get an invite to the private event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Can’t see something like that being called parkrun.

Yeah, wouldn't be parkrun.

At most it would be parkrun selling their software/ rebadging their app for other races to use for compiling results.

Hopefully. I don't like to speak ill of our fine tourists but this fella did seem a bit full of it.

Anyway, better evidence that Togher Woods Portlaoise is happening. Found a Flickr page set up.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/togherwoods-parkrun/

Visited a gem of a parkrun this morning at Teifi Marshes Nature Park parkrun in Wales. A lovely course with quite a sting in the tail. A beautiful location with lovely views over Cardigan Bay at the finish. Also a fantastic set of volunteers who were very welcoming. Travelled across to Fishguard on the ferry yesterday and stayed overnight in Cardigan Castle. Well worth a visit.

Two Parkruns in Wales set up earlier this year with practically the same name and would certainly be of interest to alphabet chasers. They're called Y Promenâd and Y Promenâd, Abermaw . The former is inland in Brecon, the latter is on the more expected Welsh coastline.

I've looked into the Brecon one, not at all easy to get to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement