Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

Sorry if this has been mentioned already. I see Hungary have been fined €200 million and a further €1 million a day for keeping their borders closed to refugees.

Wondering what the numbers are by E.U law member states have to accept? Surely it should be an internal matter for the Hungarian people to decide who they accept into their country.

What % of hotels are been used now to house IPA's I wonder? The cost of a little family break away in this country is scandalous and this is a leading factor surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sure you don't need to rethink this?? Look who's lost their MEP seats: SF MacManus, two Greens, Daly & Wallace. All part of the system supporting our so called obligations to immigration.

Hoover them up and to hell with local needs and tourism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Why do you think it is an internal matter ?

Hungary are signed up to the same laws as other EU member states and about to take on presidency of the EU Council of Ministers in a few weeks time !

Classic having their cake and eating it .

So they are in breach of their own rules and have been since 2020 . And have been found in breach before this .

In the article YOU link the ECJ states ..

"Hungary had shown “deliberate evasion” in applying EU policy, which it described as “an unprecedented and exceptionally serious infringement of EU law” and “a significant threat to the unity of EU law and to the principle of equality of the member states”."

Viktor Orban may as a result of his policy end up being the most expensive Prime Minister in Hungarian history according to a German MEP commenting on the judgement .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It's obviously not directly stated but it was certainly implied, every mention of how many had come to europe they followed it by saying much more went to countries near to the conflict. In a case of war in any situation refugees should end up in countries closest to them, it's not something to be crowing about.

The UN goes on and on about refugee crisis yet does zero to stop the source of these problems, if they actually cared they'd do far more to stop these wars from happening in the first place and not be asking countries to help a refugee crisis that should not exist in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭Augme

Nope. A condition of joining the EU is that countries must agree that EU law supercedes national law.

Precisely my point .

You think it was implied , I saw no such ' implication ' .

Nobody was ' crowing ' ..they were stating a fact !

It is your bias that generates such a different response to a factual news report .

As to the rest of your post I won't be discussing the rights and wrongs of these wars because it's not the subject of this thread .

Not …at all .

Delighted to see the back of a few of those wasters as you know .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LongfordMB

How would that information campaign go…

1. Ahmed from Egypt shops on his mobile phone for which country has the highest welfare benefits and lowest chances of deportation
    2. He pays 10k to human trafficker who takes his ID off him mid flight.
    3. Ahmed then gets put up by the irish taxpayer in luxury country estates served 3 meals a day by hard working staff.

I'd say the less information you give the irish people the better if you want your lunatic agenda to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Really??? 565m euro a year for taking no one - as opposite to a couple of jillion that we’re spending, plus the adverse effects on security and the utter destruction of our tourism industry - bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It's been an interesting few weeks - The last MSM report on the Dublin tent situation, pre the election, was around the 30th of May with nothing reported by any outlet (that I could find) right upto the elections - A total blackout seemed to be at play - Even Saint Olivia managed to get a break (I see she's gone back to just being a volunteer after RTE promoted her to 'Migration expert' for a few days)

The weekly report from the Gov.ie IPAS dept website was due on Wed/Thurs 5/6th of June but the Govt absentmindedly forgot to publish the report (pre elections)

So you wait ages for an IPAS report and then two come along at the same time, typical wha

Poor ol Nigeria have been relegated to third place behind Palestine (occupied territories) and Jordan - I'd imagine it's difficult to distinguish someone actually from Palestine (occupied territories) and someone that claims they are, having lost their documents

This is basically industrial levels of piss taking

Sorry, I can't resist -

'To lose one MEP, Mr. Ryan, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness'

So basically give away your sovereignty?

I think the E.U as a trading block was a great idea and the freedom of movement for citizens of the E.U between member states. But when the E.U are dictating internal matters like immigration, laws that have a huge societal effect for the worse on the people of E.U countries I dont think that is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Not sure who Ahmed is but if he\she had 10k already why would they spend that money to come to Ireland.

It would mean they would receive just over €2000 a year in payments. €38.80 X 52 = €2017 if eligable.

This would require 5 years of payback on the 10K investment just to break even and at the same time risk having their application refused at any point during them 5 years.

Also I doubt that if your fictional Ahmed is male he will be put up in anything but a tent not a luxury country estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Interesting, because the majority coming here are coming from far away places, with completely different cultures and languages and are young and without kids

Something’s obviously broken where Ireland is concerned

I see the tents are back up this time along Merrion Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGebDMcq6/

Facing the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭Augme

No one is forced to join the EU or stay, as our neighbours have demonstrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

its a disgrace, but the electorate didn't send the government a strong enough signal last week. Its going to get a lot worse until the authorities start coming down strong on the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Not in so many words no…

I don't think that would be very fair or decent towards all the guys called Ahmed who already live here, work here, whose kids go to school with ours, etc, etc.

In describing the criticisms our current system faces I would certainly include the claims that it is open to abuse by those not genuinely seeking asylum.

I think giving people honest impartial information like this about our existing system and the same for proposed changes and alternatives is the way to go.

A bit of reading here for anyone interested in the history of Palestinian refugees in Lebanon and Jordan.

https://webarchive.archive.unhcr.org/20230520142024/https%3A//www.refworld.org/docid/469f38aa1e.html

https://www.sciencespo.fr/mass-violence-war-massacre-resistance/en/document/historiography-and-memory-lebanese-civil-war.html

To say 'they bit the hand that fed them' is a gross oversimplification.

I'd encourage anyone interested to read up on the facts and come to their own conclusions as to whether the conflicts which came after were due to some undesirable failings inherent in the Palestinian people, as claimed by some here, or due to the forced moving of more than a million people in a region already under great pressure from existing sectarian conflicts and tensions.

I've seen similar claimed by others defending the far-right gains in Europe.

The EU was never meant as a simple trading block.

It could become so, and sadly might, but free trade between nations would have to be pared back to such an extent that we'd loose an awful lot of the economic advantages that currently come with membership.

As the UK found out post-Brexit, a simple trading agreement won't work with the EU as it is.

Let's suppose we turned to having only a trade agreement in the morning. Hypothetically Spain could decide to open it's borders and take in 10 million refugees who could be put to work in sweat shops for 2 euros an hour. Immediately other countries in the EU would be under pressure to put levies on imports from Spain to protect their own workers and industries.

The EU isn't a standard trade agreement. It's a structure based on creating a pretty level playing field between existing states so that they can trade together and with the outside world in a way which wouldn't otherwise be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Yes, because they are all coming here for the money….. it is not and has never been a pull factor. (Ukrainians excluded)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The problem Lizzy is that the things you refer to as being good about the EU are two of the very things that require the profound nature of the treaties between the EU nations. I'm not sure its an entirely consistent position to take that you think freedom of movement is great but then go on to talk avout "giving away sovereignty" and "dictating on internal matters like immigration". It seems to more so be that you like the upsides of free movement and not the downsides — such as the fact that free movement and the Schengen protocols probably also necessitate a certain level of co-operation and collaboration between the member states on things like non-EU refugee intake to ensure that certain countries aren't just reaping the benefits of it and expecting to others to shoulder the burdens.

Is there a particular part of this video we should be skipping to?

I have no problem and I am sure the vast majority of decent Irish people are the same in that they don't mind people coming here to try and better themselves and mainly "CONTRIBUTE" to Irish society and take in what we can sustain as in not putting a huge burden on our healthcare system, public transport system, housing, local amenities, hotels etc etc. The numbers coming in are just unsustainable.

The current system in place where there is thousands of people and I would hazard a guess the vast majority are male, coming in from countries where there is no wars is absolutely mindbogglingly stupid. Why should the tax payer foot the bill for this and make the lives of Irish people and people coming here to work and integrate harder in terms of accessing all of the above I have mentioned already?

New MEPs Mullooly and McNamara interviewed by RTE this morning via Mary Wilson I think. Detailed questioning for them on nature restoration policies and what groups they might join etc etc… but not a mention of the elephant in the room. That these elected MEPs aligned themselves with the views of many normal Irish voters, that as regards immigration matters, enough is enough. No RTE were staying well clear of the elephant this morning, keeping a firm eye and ear out for their paymasters who have the Sword of Damocles hanging over them currently!

They left for very good reason as the Brits had the backbone to tell them that their immigration policy wont be dictated by some unelected bureaucrat in Brussels.

Ask yourself this, since this immigration policy has been brought into law by the E.U is the average Irish persons quality of life any better? Cant get a house, have to wait maybe a week or 2 for a GP appointment, god forbid if you need a dentist, cant holiday in their own country unless paying an extortionate amount for a hotel.

• Advertisement

It's interesting to see how people often cheerlead the Hungarian / Orban stance on this without even considering that maybe the opposing view has some valid points about the problems with that stance and certain hypocrisies that underlie it.

First of all, we hear a lot of complaining about Ukrainian refugees and other refugees passing through safe countries before reaching another. Well, Hungary borders Ukraine — and indeed they have taken in a lot of Ukrainians — but are they piping up to tell Ireland that they will happily take the Ukrainian refugees off our hands because "common sense" dictates that the refugees should only be going to the neighbouring countries? Are they incensed that others have helped shoulder the burden?

No. Of course not. Because Hungary is only too happy to see other parts of Europe step up and demonstrate that stupid snowflakey concept of compassion and international co-operation in the interests of the idea that a burden widely shared is a lighter one. Interesting of course that he and his party have been known to bemoan and decry the idea of refugees passing or skipping over safe countries. https://www.politico.eu/article/hungarys-new-hardline-immigration-scheme-viktor-orban-refugees-migration-crisis-europe/

Advertisement