Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

So basically give away your sovereignty?

I think the E.U as a trading block was a great idea and the freedom of movement for citizens of the E.U between member states. But when the E.U are dictating internal matters like immigration, laws that have a huge societal effect for the worse on the people of E.U countries I dont think that is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Not sure who Ahmed is but if he\she had 10k already why would they spend that money to come to Ireland.

It would mean they would receive just over €2000 a year in payments. €38.80 X 52 = €2017 if eligable.

This would require 5 years of payback on the 10K investment just to break even and at the same time risk having their application refused at any point during them 5 years.

Also I doubt that if your fictional Ahmed is male he will be put up in anything but a tent not a luxury country estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Interesting, because the majority coming here are coming from far away places, with completely different cultures and languages and are young and without kids

Something’s obviously broken where Ireland is concerned

I see the tents are back up this time along Merrion Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGebDMcq6/

Facing the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Augme

No one is forced to join the EU or stay, as our neighbours have demonstrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

its a disgrace, but the electorate didn't send the government a strong enough signal last week. Its going to get a lot worse until the authorities start coming down strong on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Not in so many words no…

I don't think that would be very fair or decent towards all the guys called Ahmed who already live here, work here, whose kids go to school with ours, etc, etc.

In describing the criticisms our current system faces I would certainly include the claims that it is open to abuse by those not genuinely seeking asylum.

I think giving people honest impartial information like this about our existing system and the same for proposed changes and alternatives is the way to go.

A bit of reading here for anyone interested in the history of Palestinian refugees in Lebanon and Jordan.

https://webarchive.archive.unhcr.org/20230520142024/https%3A//www.refworld.org/docid/469f38aa1e.html

https://www.sciencespo.fr/mass-violence-war-massacre-resistance/en/document/historiography-and-memory-lebanese-civil-war.html

To say 'they bit the hand that fed them' is a gross oversimplification.

I'd encourage anyone interested to read up on the facts and come to their own conclusions as to whether the conflicts which came after were due to some undesirable failings inherent in the Palestinian people, as claimed by some here, or due to the forced moving of more than a million people in a region already under great pressure from existing sectarian conflicts and tensions.

I've seen similar claimed by others defending the far-right gains in Europe.

The EU was never meant as a simple trading block.

It could become so, and sadly might, but free trade between nations would have to be pared back to such an extent that we'd loose an awful lot of the economic advantages that currently come with membership.

As the UK found out post-Brexit, a simple trading agreement won't work with the EU as it is.

Let's suppose we turned to having only a trade agreement in the morning. Hypothetically Spain could decide to open it's borders and take in 10 million refugees who could be put to work in sweat shops for 2 euros an hour. Immediately other countries in the EU would be under pressure to put levies on imports from Spain to protect their own workers and industries.

The EU isn't a standard trade agreement. It's a structure based on creating a pretty level playing field between existing states so that they can trade together and with the outside world in a way which wouldn't otherwise be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Yes, because they are all coming here for the money….. it is not and has never been a pull factor. (Ukrainians excluded)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The problem Lizzy is that the things you refer to as being good about the EU are two of the very things that require the profound nature of the treaties between the EU nations. I'm not sure its an entirely consistent position to take that you think freedom of movement is great but then go on to talk avout "giving away sovereignty" and "dictating on internal matters like immigration". It seems to more so be that you like the upsides of free movement and not the downsides — such as the fact that free movement and the Schengen protocols probably also necessitate a certain level of co-operation and collaboration between the member states on things like non-EU refugee intake to ensure that certain countries aren't just reaping the benefits of it and expecting to others to shoulder the burdens.

Is there a particular part of this video we should be skipping to?

I have no problem and I am sure the vast majority of decent Irish people are the same in that they don't mind people coming here to try and better themselves and mainly "CONTRIBUTE" to Irish society and take in what we can sustain as in not putting a huge burden on our healthcare system, public transport system, housing, local amenities, hotels etc etc. The numbers coming in are just unsustainable.

The current system in place where there is thousands of people and I would hazard a guess the vast majority are male, coming in from countries where there is no wars is absolutely mindbogglingly stupid. Why should the tax payer foot the bill for this and make the lives of Irish people and people coming here to work and integrate harder in terms of accessing all of the above I have mentioned already?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

New MEPs Mullooly and McNamara interviewed by RTE this morning via Mary Wilson I think. Detailed questioning for them on nature restoration policies and what groups they might join etc etc… but not a mention of the elephant in the room. That these elected MEPs aligned themselves with the views of many normal Irish voters, that as regards immigration matters, enough is enough. No RTE were staying well clear of the elephant this morning, keeping a firm eye and ear out for their paymasters who have the Sword of Damocles hanging over them currently!

They left for very good reason as the Brits had the backbone to tell them that their immigration policy wont be dictated by some unelected bureaucrat in Brussels.

Ask yourself this, since this immigration policy has been brought into law by the E.U is the average Irish persons quality of life any better? Cant get a house, have to wait maybe a week or 2 for a GP appointment, god forbid if you need a dentist, cant holiday in their own country unless paying an extortionate amount for a hotel.

It's interesting to see how people often cheerlead the Hungarian / Orban stance on this without even considering that maybe the opposing view has some valid points about the problems with that stance and certain hypocrisies that underlie it.

First of all, we hear a lot of complaining about Ukrainian refugees and other refugees passing through safe countries before reaching another. Well, Hungary borders Ukraine — and indeed they have taken in a lot of Ukrainians — but are they piping up to tell Ireland that they will happily take the Ukrainian refugees off our hands because "common sense" dictates that the refugees should only be going to the neighbouring countries? Are they incensed that others have helped shoulder the burden?

No. Of course not. Because Hungary is only too happy to see other parts of Europe step up and demonstrate that stupid snowflakey concept of compassion and international co-operation in the interests of the idea that a burden widely shared is a lighter one. Interesting of course that he and his party have been known to bemoan and decry the idea of refugees passing or skipping over safe countries. https://www.politico.eu/article/hungarys-new-hardline-immigration-scheme-viktor-orban-refugees-migration-crisis-europe/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The fact they scraped in on transfers and their cronies mostly fell by the wayside would suggest they align with a minority of Irish voters from a purely mathematical standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

these new MEPs surely can’t be worse on the topic of migration than Clare and Mick who as I posted examples earlier in thread repeatedly voted against doing anything about immigration at EU level

I think you need to actually look at the results? https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/06/09/european-election-ireland-south-constituency-results/

McNamara was solidly third all the way, several others like Boylan and Blighe only eliminated towards the end.

If you wanna talk about pro immigration policy party candidates who fell by the wayside - well there's a long list of them.

• Advertisement

Quite the opposite, I would expect them to be aligning with groups that want to actively control migration into the EU.

And leaving was a terrible decision thay pretty much everyone in the UK regrets. Have you not read the issues the UK are having with asylum seekers? I suggest you read up on it.

To suggest laws around asylum seekers is the reason Irish people's quality of life is worse is ludicrous. Legal immigration has a much bigger impact on availability of housing, healthcare, school places etc etc.

Get rid of asylum seekers and Ireland will be a cheap place to go on holiday. I've heard it all now. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

OK but you've kinda just moved on to a totally different point.

But even at that, you say that you think free movement is a good thing but then go on to say that the numbers coming in are unsustainable as regards the strain they put on services etc. But who are you referring to here? Asylum seekers / refugees or just foreigners in general?

If its asylum seekers, the numbers are high in historic terms but as a percentage of the foreign born population they are a pretty small cohort within that. Indeed, as I understand it anyway, about one fifth of the foreign born population is Polish or Lithuanian alone — nationalities that enter the country via the very free movement you say is a good thing. Then there is another 13% of that who are UK-born who enter via what is effectively a free movement system.

So already that's about a third of the non-Irish population, not including all the other EU migrants here, who are here because of free movement...which you say is good....but you appear to have a more specific issue with asylum seekers who are a far, far smaller number.

When you read up on McNamara's position on asylum seekers I think you're going to be sorely disappointed.

TD McNamara who wrote "This government, on the recent referendum, on immigration and how they have labelled the response of communities, and throughout this Dáil term, have been the greatest purveyors of misinformation in this state."

or

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-41390995.html

Sounds like a public representative just saying what the plain people of Ireland are saying. And why he got my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Look at all the benefits doing the exact same thing that we currently are brought to Sweden. Diversity and enrichment, amazing integration and a thriving melting pot. All took up jobs and are a benefit to the country. It went so well that Denmark are doing everything in their power to follow the same blue print. Oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I'm delighted to see the embarassments to Ireland, Wallace and Daly kicked out. I wouldn't put it past some of the idiot parties to shoehorn them into a TD race.

I see the tent villages are back this time on Merrion Square - every single chancer interviewed came from a country with no direct flight to Ireland, so they had to have a passport at some point - why are we letting them through and hoping for the best ? We have to put a stop to this deluge NOW while we get a handle on dealing with those who are here already.

Oh i agree, vulnerable people in precarious positions need to be protected from bad actors by the State.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ukrainians, including traumatised kids, were given two weeks notice that they are being moved from Shannon to Lisdoonvarna. Kids have to change schools, adults without cars have to give up jobs.

I get it that they shouldn't be in State accommodation forever, but giving two weeks notice is just cruel. There are kids who have been bombed out of their homes having to change schools and addresses and start another new life.

An absolute disgrace. I wouldn't class myself as a bleeding heart on immigration issues at all, but surely anyone can see that this is cruel.

Advertisement