Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect that if our education system didn't reward rote learning so extensively they wouldn't have had anywhere near the same level of success there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It is sad.

Because I have said all along, I would have little doubt that Enoch was an excellent teacher. His youtube channels shows he was very invested in teaching. But he just couldn't live and let live.

Ammi, I'm not so sure about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

They were homeschooled by the mad ould wan. One of their claims to fame. And the subject of one of their less disastrous court outings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I know but I have to get my entertainment somehow 😂

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

He's still hopelessly entangled in the apron strings though. Watching the carry on of this family really makes me appreciate my own parents all the more.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Before the Courts

Posts deleted and thread closed

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Latest case now concluded and thread re-opened

YAY! Favourite thread is back!

The defamation result was a bit of a ‘water is wet’ moment. I think everyone knew what the outcome would be.
    Is his official dismissal ever going to happen? I’ve honestly lost track of where it is. Waiting a judgement in another case, I think?

Enoch will be eligible for early retirement by the time this finishes winding its way through hearings and appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

Off topic perhaps..... but does anyone else think there should be something of a consequence/even just a slap on the wrist for just publishing lies for the newspaper..regardless of the fact it wasn't defamatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

consequences from who?

just in case anybody missed the verdict. I think the outcome is no surprise to anybody here and was predicted. Yes, what was published was untrue but it didnt lower his reputation.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2024/0613/1454529-enoch-burke/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The big question of course is who is paying for all this.

Consequences from the law/govt/society in the form of a fine for publishing lies...something like that

Some people read some of the muck published today and take it as gospel.....I don't know, I think little or no consequences for publishing what turns out to be lies might be potentially damaging for society?

The temptation is there to sell newspapers, drive clicks with the right lies and even if they are not defamatory shouldn't that be discouraged? And encourage truthful/factual reporting ..might mean people have to use their noodles more rather than get outraged by whatever lies will generate the most revenue for the media outlet...etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,343 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There's a nice irony about the notion of newspapers not being truthful, and it not being 'gospel'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

as my dear Mum use to say "there are none as queer as folk"

No Mention of costs in the article so each will probably pay their own. Enoch represented himself so no cost to him and he got a little time out of the Joy so win-win for him in that respect.

A lofty ideal but really not practical.

If you think this lie is bad, don’t look at YouTube, TikTok, telegram, Facebook, WhatsApp etc etc etc. Zero accountability. Zero regulation. Blatant lies that incite riots, genocides etc. This was a little porky in legacy media. Judge gave them a mild rebuke. Essentially, ‘if this was anyone else, you wouldn’t have a leg to stand on’.

It was risk the Indo took to generate a few clicks. They’ve gotten so much coverage out of this by Enoch suing them, coverage they didn’t even dream of, they’re laughing all the way to bank!

For all their supposed intelligence, the Burkes are double losers out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Hes still on his pay from the Department of education. So you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Hes back in court tomorrow for his contempt. School has broken up now so will he get his summer holidays before heading back to the Joy in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Every time an article was published stating "school teacher jailed for refusing to use preferred pronouns" it was untrue too.

It's what they do. It used to be to sell newspapers, now it's for clicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

And it shouldn't be let happen..or at least discouraged...that's what polarises people into two extremes and anyone that has a view and is open minded gets hammered by both sides with the paper never refused ink Crew profiting from both groups

As in its ironic I think that?

Because my post doesn't state that..if it did it might be ironic or naeive that I thought the papers were always truthful/accurate etc (clearly that's not the case)

Or its ironic I think that publishing lies/inaccuracies should come with more "make the media outlet think twice" type consequences....I fail to see the irony ...perhaps that's ironic too?

Is it really that impractical to add in more of a deterrent for what I think is a pretty corrosive thing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,343 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It was just a thought about a phrase we use all the time, not really about your post at all 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

"179. My provisional view on costs is that the defendants, having been entirely successful in
    their defence of the claim, are entitled to an award of costs in their favour, to be adjudicated
    in default of agreement. Should the plaintiff wish to contend for a different form of costs
    order than that proposed, he should deliver short written submissions within ten days of the
    date of this judgment. The defendants will have ten days thereafter to respond. A costs ruling
    will then issue (if required)."

Above is what the Judge said on costs.

I think Enoch would have some case to say reduced costs because what they published was untrue even if not defamatory, and that they did not publish a retraction/apology for several months…but think he's on the hook for lots of it.

Is there a link to the full judgement? I was just going on the rte article. While the judge make an order for costs I think the papers chances of actually getting paid are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

https://www.courts.ie/judgments

So www.courts.ie/judgements
    and its on the landing page: Recently Uploaded Judgments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He could have taken the issue of the untruthful reporting to the relevant regulator at the Press Council for a ruling, but instead he chose the route that would maximise his payout if successful. Unfortunately for him, it was never going to be successful as defamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I found it ironical that Enoch would seem to be in denial [I was not moved to another part of the prison because I was talking about religion too much to other prisoners and upsetting them] and not taking one for his beliefs, choosing instead [as it were] to suing the paper and hoping to gain in the process. I cant imagine that he would go on a rant in a corner blaming the almighty for failing him in his hour of need but….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Somewhat reminiscent of Albert Reynolds' libel 'victory' against the Sunday Times where he was awarded 1p in damages… the law in both the UK and Ireland was changed as a result to prevent meaningless 'wins' in such cases where the plaintiff's reputation had not in fact been damaged.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement