Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

1157158159160161163»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Alkers

I agree re the p20s at the end of their service, didn't think the p50s were anywhere near that state yet but you'd know better than I!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

DFHQ (Army) didn't want the navy getting notions beyond their remit. They are adequate fishery protection vessels with a gun far in excess of what was required. The priority is crew comfort, and over the horizon boarding capability, important when getting hammered by the north Atlantic all year round. You'll find all OPVs are similar. Even the RN River Batch 1 were due to have been retired by now. They (OPVs) were never intended to be put in harms way.

Modern thinking is moving away from the OPV and back towards the Corvette, similar in size to an OPV, but armed closer to frigate lines. (Big gun, with decent AA and ASW fit, and sensor suite to match).

See EPC as an example.

I wouldn't say the RN ships crumbled, their AA defences were just exposed as being not fit for purpose. The use of some man-made materials internally also contributed greatly to crew injuries when ships did come under attack, particularly in the Type 21 class. Retro-fitting CIWS to major warships, and removal of formica as internal compartment liner solved both issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Great, fantastic, bring it on.

But we should not divest of the P50s without their replacements being done with sea-trials and ready to accept a crew.

I wouldn't see the point of that. We already saw a situation where there was 11 ships in various states of commission, without crew for the 3 being decommissioned, the 2 new arrivals, or even 3 of the six commissioned vessels.

If you wait until you have crew to replace ships you may end up without ships. It takes a far shorter time to recruit and train crew than it does to order, design and build new ships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Evidently not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I don't mean this disrespectfully but I find the need to reply,,these ships are rarely enough at sea in very bad weather for sustained periods,, little point if they can't operate in the conditions for fishery patrols etc, they seek shelter in several different bays up to weeks at times when on patrol,it makes sense.

Given the crew issues time at sea has been cut to the minimum, presumably lifespan would be based on running hours so would increase,would you have any idea of the running hours of example the eithne? Presuming not re engined at any time, compared to these vessels?

Your last paragraph I think is the nuts and bolts, the rest is window dressing,, the vessels aren't suitable for our needs for one reason or another, probably a very valid point.

That may be the case today, for a myriad of reasons, but it was never the case when the P50s were fully operational. They need to be able to go out in the worst of conditions, as evidenced by the attempt to provide assistance to HMCS Chicoutimi by P51 in 2004, which caused serious damage to her bow, and the fact that P22 replaced her on scene, in the same conditions, was very telling. Lessons were learnt.

I know nothing about marine engineering. The people who live indoors below decks but still have to wear overalls always scared me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I was using engine hours to measure time at sea, which isn't the best way as many hours may be idling in harbour for one reason or another, but an indication,I presume that is recorded in other ways also , either way whatever the projected lifespan I am guessing the newer vessels have been more " lightly used" than previous,,hull " age" obviously cannot be measured by years alone when you could have sisterships where one is at sea heavily laden at sea in storms while the other is in port for a decade being minded, they aren't going to have the same stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The P50s after the upgrade would at least get another 15 years in a better climate like the med rather than the North Atlantic in the middle of winter.

They are saying the Kiwi boats will be operational later this year. Has there been any movement on securing the new east coast base?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Alkers

Slowly... None delivered yet as far as I am aware?

Advertisement