Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

MOD: ROG does not play or coach for or against Ireland so let's drop that angle please

It's not rubbish, the world cup is once every 4 years. Their record there is very impressive. Their record outside of it is fairly spotty.

We have far better consistency when it comes to the 6N so I'm not sure what your point is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

I wonder how posters would feel if we were double RWC Champions but coming in 2nd or 3rd in the 6Ns, would they feel we're inconsistent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

SA compete with NZ every year who have won 5X the number of championships as both SA and Oz, and are historically the most consistent team on the planet, and the best. Ireland's record in the 6N is very good but we rarely compete against any team that is as consistent or good as NZ, England in the early naughties and France in the last few years. Otherwise the standards are very different, exemplified by our WC record.

Yes. I just wouldn't care that much.

It's not a dissimilar argument than the one that was made comparing Ireland and Wales until recently. Thankfully Ireland have now reached the point where we are just as successful title wise but also more consistent.

I don't know how anyone could defend against the argument that SA are inconsistent and unreliable outside of World Cups though. They just are. Whether you think that matters is a different argument.

• Advertisement

Saying you wish Ireland could have that kind of consistency when it comes to the 6N still makes no sense - we do have it. We are literally back to back champions.

NZ have won 5X the number of championships because SA and Aus are not capable of consistently challenging them. This doesn't alter my argument at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Worth noting that even in winning the last two RWCs, they lost a pool match in each, which no other RWC champion had ever done before.

It isn’t a huge stretch to say they’re a bit inconsistent but get the job done at the business end of the RWC.

Question is why they feel the need to blow this test series up into a grudge match that will settle some long standing injustices when it’s nothing of the sort. Bizarre.

We've won a good few titles in the last decade but my earlier point is that SA have been consistently winning WCs for 40 years! We have a long way to go before we have that sort of consistency in any competition. And the point still stands regarding SA dealing annually in competition w NZ, we do not have that sort of competition regularly, England, France and Wales are often very ordinary and rarely reach consistent top of the world status any length of time. You could just as easily say Ireland have a few medals these days because the rest of the 6N are just not capable of consistently challenging them.

Anyway, Im not interested in a nitpicking argument about why SA really aren't that good, that's subjective and irrelevant. My point is just the people need to separate out their feelings towards Rassie and some SA fans from SAs clear ability to perform in the WC which is the comp they care most about.

Rassie seems to use his own cult of personality to galvanize his team, a bit like Gatland. Be a lightening rod and attract the hate so as to build a culture of resentment and victimhood. It does bring people together and it seems to work for him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is anyone saying they're not inconsistent year on year ? I thought the only argument was whether consistency matters a damn when the chips are down. Have SA ever lost a WQ QF?

The fact they're hot and cold between world cups just makes this 2 game tour meaningless, really.

• Advertisement

And we've won 5 of the last 11 6N. We don't have a long way to go at all to match their consistency in any competition. We quite clearly have it in the 6N.

I am not denigrating SA's world cup performances nor am I saying they "aren't that good". I'm saying multiple teams were better than them given their all round success in competitions outside the RWC also (e.g. NZ 2011, NZ 2015, England 2003) and the stupid chip they have on their shoulder about not being more lauded is a bit pathetic.

Have SA ever lost a WQ QF?

Yes, several.

The 2 game tour isn't meaningless. It's certainly not meaningless to SA who are being weird as hell about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yes they have lost Qtr

If it is so meaningless then why are SA out in the media trying to use them to get an advantage over Ireland, the interviews been done at the moment are not by chance

Also the stadiums sold out in what I believe was record time or close to record time as the public want to see these games

SA want to win them, of course if they lose then it will be meaningless games, if they win then SA will certainly be very triumphant

The big question wil be if Ireland win the first game, expect a similar break down from Rassie as we seen in the Lions tour

As an outsider looking in (to SA) I'd love to be able to say we're double RWC Champions and to be honest, I couldn't give a fiddlers what other countries/fans would think of us. When we're not winning RWCs then we can concentrate on 6Ns again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Bizarrely it seems they really, really, really care what others think about them! To the point of imaginary slight, it's all very odd.

And a few fans here seems to care that they care.

Crazy, isn't it.

I care that they are running to the press making **** up to generate ill will towards Ireland yes. It is pathetic and should be beneath them as World Champions but apparently they are incapable of simply enjoying that and need to craft bullshit narratives instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I dont see anyone caring about the Boks, they have the WC and should have the higher ground

Yet they are the ones running to the press etc

I admire the Boks for winning back to back RWCs, I couldn't give a fiddlers what they're saying to the press. The press like it because of clicks but who takes it seriously.

Is Farrell quaking in his boots, though again, reading here and how conservative some are about bringing all our usuals in our touring squad I do think that we want to beat the World Champions just to say we beat them.

I'd sooner we win a RWC QF but I suppose it's not necessarily one or the other but we've beaten SA , NZ, Australia and all the 6Ns teams but we can't get the RWC monkey off our back.

Actually, can someone tell me what I'm (an Irishman) supposed to be outraged at, what have SA done now.

I mean we have a poster here telling anyone who disagrees with him that they hate Farrell and Ireland and that's seen as acceptable but SA are monsters.

The SA rivalry is spicy partly because many of their players come up against our lads in the league, and are often on the wrong end of it, and because we have an excellent record against them, including the WC group match last year. It a bit similar to the ABs who we have parity with at least most of the time these days. Say what you like about the 6N but those two teams are the two powerhouses of the global game and they both have an intense need to be seen to dominate us. Take it as a compliment.

• Advertisement

Other than it being nice to beat SA (or any other team for that matter) in a pool or friendly game, it's irrelevant, Ireland need to win their QF in the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah, this is exactly it.

Like, a two-test series between the first and second ranked teams, your first games on home turf as RWC champions, against the last team to beat you… isn't that enough motivation? It shouldn't need all this background noise and weird paranoia, but this seems to be the only way Erasmus can function.

Yeah, agreed. We've come a long way but until we can really compete for the WC we're still also rans.

You can't really have it both ways. If Ireland win it's against a team that's inconsistent between World Cups. Nothing to brag about. If SA win, what does it prove? It'll probably be 1-1 anyway.

The 6N is great but it's the Commonwealth games of rugby when SA are winning the Olympics.

I doubt they're 'running to the press'. They're being interviewed and making very slightly controversial comments which are mostly taken out of context by pearl clutchers weaned on the utter dross most pro rugby players spout when they've a mic in front of them.

If Ireland win it's against a team that's inconsistent between World Cups

I'm fine with this. I'm not having it both ways at all.

The 6N is also not the commonwealth games of rugby, that's just a ludicrous comparison.

Take out the top teams and have the next best play themselves and celebrate being champions. Same difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jesus lads, why do we even bother watching the sport for 3 and a half years between these world cups?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭nerd69

I do think wed be less consistent in between world cups also generally of we had to play nz even if weve gone well against them recently

• Advertisement

Because we can moan about how poor the RWC Champions are and how brilliant we are.

Like the summer tour is being built up as the 1st and 2nd ranked teams, yet, we've never, ever, got past the RWC QFs. Teams with lower rankings than us have made and won QFs, SFs, and finals

Rankings are great for what they're used for, rankings in the RWC competition but outside of that, they're utterly useless.

Advertisement