Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Final Year due to extenuating circumstances

Options
  • 12-06-2024 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I've had some personal circumstances that have severely impacted my performance and grade and I wanted to know if its possible to resit the entire year if I already sat the year. I asked the coordinator and she told me that if I've already passed some modules, then they won't let me, unless if I didn't do well in the other modules. I tried looking up any policies on repeats and only came across ones about stuff that I've already knew, such as the supplementals and being capped.

Without going into too much detail around the circumstances, I am currently visiting a Psychotherapist for the past while around the issue. And many of my family members believe that I deserve to repeat the year to improve on my grade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The best placed to advise you on this will be your Uni's Student Academic services team. The Pastoral care team would also be a good place to seek advice. As to what will happen with your pass/fail and your degree level? That will be lain out in the Course handbook, it may be that you are limited in any repeat modules to a pass only score. The caveats and restrictions around repeating can vary between Institutions, but, the very best place to start is with the pastoral care team and Student Union.

It reads as if you have had an awful year but have tried to power through and continue to keep up your course and your academic work. Ideally, that would be recognised and appreciated by your college and an accomodation made. It may perhaps have been better for you if you had gone sick, and deferred but, no student should be knocked back for at least undertaking an effort to hold their shít together and finish it out.

A couple of possibilities that may arise in discussing how to redeem your GPA after your final year, if not allowed to repeat. Maybe the possibility of an FYP or swapping to different modules?

I wish you well with it however it goes. Don't get too hung up on your final GPA/Degree level. If nothing else? Know that by even continuing to engage in your course during whatever caused the issue, shows immense courage and resilience. Also, be it a 1.1 or a 2.2, you did it, you persevered and there is nothing to stop you pushing on. Be it on entering the workforce, or progressing to a Post-grad don't focus on your result, focus on you, your health and your potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Alexus25

"if I've already passed some modules, then they won't let me, unless if I didn't do well in the other modules" - well, did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You can get a letter from your doctor and psychotherapist to your course head which describes how you were adversely affected this year and ask for accommodation on health grounds .

Do it asap whether you have done your exams or not .

There is room for compassion with most colleges /exam boards on these grounds particularly if you have been a good student in previous years .

You may be allowed repeat end of Summer but be treated as if first time doing the exam and so achieve a decent result .

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Murp7784

Yeah, pretty much. I, like many, was optimistic about what I want and was confident in my approach. I was willing to accept the fact that my plans may fall through, but I completely underestimated it completely. And now I am extremely worried that I have to deal with having a disappointing pass on my honours degree, knowing that I could have done better.

I am carrying on a module that I failed last year, and I failed 1 exam from my final winter exam so far.

• Advertisement

Sounds like they won't allow it so, I was in a similar boat and said no cause then everyone would be looking for this. I think you're overall marks depends on your career, like a 2.2 in psychology is far from ideal if you're looking to become fully qualified, where a 2.2 in business doesn't really matter career wise

I can't find anything in their rules or policies regarding these. I've only gone by hearsay. I couldn't find anything in any of their handbooks.

I know it's super irritating, but it's just not standard practice to allow some to repeat a full year without justification e.g you fail everything. Also it would prob cost them more.

Advertisement