Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I think that’s a given and they have said likewise. But what about the Greens? They seem to think they had a good result

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

If only people knew how little Ni Riada cared about job of an MEP, was there solely for the social status.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Only in poor old Ryans head did they have a good result. No MEP's, more than half their local seats gone and going to get eviscerated in the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭yagan

Most crucially they've lost the youth vote once again for propping up the high rent parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭StoutPost

SF didn't deserve the seat, McManus was useless and Gildernew was parachuted in from Northern Ireland. I'm surprised they did as well as they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I wonder if all those MEPs will hold their positions for the duration of the term. Ming is said to be considering a run the Irish presidency, might be others considering giving that a go, there's also a General on the horizon.

Mings vote i would safely say would be fairly consigned to the West of the country (If he decided to run for presidency)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,553 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not a comparison to the likes of Carberry or Ni Murchu.

O'Riada joined and worked in SF from 2011, ran for the EU in 2014 and after a term there went forward as a presidential candidate.

Whatever you think of her she may have been a bad choice but she is not in any sense a parachute celeb candidate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There isn't much difference and you know it. The ultimate aim (from a party's perspective) when choosing someone to stand is not their experience or qualifications but whether or not they are likely to get elected within a particular constituiency. CNM is a also barrister possibly which makes her much more qualified to take on the role of political representative than many of the others who stood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭squonk

Now the dust has settled I’ve started to look at the depth of ability in elected candidates amongst the two main parties here.

Id traditionally be an FG supporter but they’ve solidly swung behind the celebrity candidate now. There appear to be only 2 capable FG selected MEPs. Doherty and Kelly. I’ve seen Kelly being interviewed in relation to European affairs so he at least looks like he knows what he’s doing. You could say they don’t have it the role of GAA president for showing up. He’s used to politics. Same with Doherty. All that has been notable about Maria Walshe lately is her absence from any media. I expect Carberry to follow suit as, from what I see, she has no qualifications to indicate she’ll be a useful addition whatsoever.

Tge FF side has Cowen, Andrews, and O’Murchu who is a celebrity candidate oof sorts. She seems more impressive though as she could I’m sure have been an RTE lifer but followed her own trail and left, qualified as a barrister and, while there seems to be a question on whether she’s still practicing, whether way, they don’t had it calls to the bar for nothing. In fact, if I was in Ireland NorthWest I’d hsfe voted anyone but FG. The lineup there was an insult to the electorate I think.

It looks like FG got lucky with McGuinness as she seems like a sharp operator and she went far I’d say Kelly can handle himself as well At a time when what’s being decided at European level is becoming far more important than it used to be, we should be sending people who can hit the ground running FG seem to be sending people now who can keep a seat warm for 5 years I’d have more confidence in one of the FF lineup being useful than FGs at this stage

• Advertisement

Most will I would think, would a GE tempt any away given it's to occur so soon after this election? I doubt Ming will run for the presidency, he's long said he would if Bertie ran, I'm not sure what's in it for him tbh as he has a safe seat in the EP if he keeps on as he is.

I stuck €15 on him at 33/1 just incase I'm wrong 😁

Ni Riada had time served - Ni Murchu/Carberry had none. Immediately there is a difference.
    I have said above, this celeb parachuting is wrong and disrespectful of the process whether FF FG or SF do it btw.

You ruined a good post by both mentioning the words Capable and Doherty in the same context

Lol, I use the word loosely. Indeed she didn’t impress in her interviews this week. She hadn’t ever really impressed me but is capable in the sense she’s used to the political hand. In her case I fear it’s FG sending a troublesome character far away, out of the national glare. That’s another bad thing we do when selecting EU candidates.

That's one way of looking at in fairness. She's one of those people who'd brain doesn't engage with her mouth before she speaks. or maybe it does……………..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

FG have a long history of parachuting high profile candidates into the European elections, in 1994 it was Alan Gillis

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Experience as a politician has nothing to do with whether or not you are now electable. All parties select candidates on their electability and that would be the top reason for choosing them. That they look at candidates outside of the political spectrum may be something done more by FF & FG but that does not mean that they don't do it.
    What experience did solicitor John Finucane have when selected by SF compared to barrister CNM? Or is your issue that CNM also previously had a media career (surely media experience would be a positive attribute)?

From my previous post:

I have said above, this celeb parachuting is wrong and disrespectful of the process whether FF FG or SF do it btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

There have been some notable successes with parachuted in MEP candidates. Mairead McGuinness went straight from RTE to the European Parliament iirc. I don't think anyone could say that she wasn't capable of doing the job.

And will have a fair crack at being next Uachtaran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 DamiensNeck

I disagree completely.

There's no shortage of people in the EU Parliament with similar views. The idea that this somehow damages Putin is naive.

And my comment wasn't in response to you at all.

People really have it in their heads that these speeches by Daly and Wallace in the EU are pivotal to Putin. They're not.

America allowing Ukraine to strike Russian targets is a million times more useful to Putin than some EU Parliament speech.

And in fairness to Wallace and Daly, they're the only ones consistent in their views. Is Ursula doing anything to stop the yanks bankrolling the Israelis bombing Gaza?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wallace and Daly are not remotely consistent in their views. They hate when Western countries do it and love when genocidal dictators do it.

Did I get this right, allowing Ukraine to defend itself as per it's right in international law benefits their aggressor?

That's some mental Pilates right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭yagan

I don't think anyone can cnm is just a celeb pick, it's been decades since that phase.

I think she's a perfect antidote to Wallace's weird toxicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's a real feature across Europe where lists are used, send off friends, rivals, donors and odd balls to the great gravy train in Brussels.

I think in the selection process you can probably tell who will be proactive and who will largely keep a seat warm and do what they’re told. McGuinness I’m sure didn’t morph into an able dealer the minute she walked through the parliament doors. Certainly having media experience was no loss either.

I think there’s a line between name recognition getting someone across the line and them being good at the job. Cynthia has the media experience and the legal chops so could turn into a great choice. IMHO Maria Walshe should have been turfed out and Carberry should have been rejected. Walshe is just another back bencher and I don’t expect any different from Carberry. Not every one can get the big jobs but you have the power as an MEP to make a big contribution to the world. Case in point, the EU voting on USB-C and turning around Apple’s view. Carberry is a successful sports person but hasn’t ventured far beyond that. We’re a small country. We need to punch above our weight. I don’t see riding horses and dancing with the staff translating very well to political heavyweight boxing.

For a FG voter as you say you are yourself, i couldn't have agreed more with that post.

Absolutle nail on the head with regards Walshe and Carberry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I think in the long run gildernew was a mistake. a few people I talked to were annoyed about her being parachuted in from NI.

but I guess it shows the lack of depth in SF in trying to find someone with a broad enough base to stay in the race (nearly made it). no idea what mcmanus has been doing in Europe. never heard a peep out of him as bad as Walsh imo.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Whatever about Ming running for President, I suspect that there is a far higher chance that Cowen , Funchion , McNamara and perhaps O'Riordan stand in the upcoming GE so we may see multiple alternates stepping in in 5/6 months time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I doubt it, FG ran Austin Curry nearly 30 years ago and more further back in time..

Advertisement