Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Elections 2024 - Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Bit of a joke a Jockey who never was involved in politics is elected . Afte watching RTÉ programme on horse industry the other night makes it worse .
    Fine Gael always had rich landowners and landlords and now they have the rich horsey crowd as their politicians who haven’t a clue about ordinary peoples lives .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

Nobody seems to have seen her anywhere.

Does she even exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,996 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Both blaming the media.

Absolutely nothing to do with repeatedly voting no in condemning Russian mass murder.

Good Riddance, pair of absolute wánkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eudaimonia

Quick google search brings up independent article which disproves your point.

In her pitch to party members, Carberry highlighted her values of "honesty, hard work and plain talking" and Fine Gael's principle of equality of opportunity that resonates with her.

Key priorities she outlined include championing balanced regional development for rural areas, reducing red tape for farmers and businesses, protecting free movement for students, and developing a cross-European apprenticeship scheme.

You are totally wrong. Stop posting misinformation.

Yes, i just googled and found the same. Just one thing that stood out below that would give me some doubt about all of it. See can you pick it out from what i pasted.

In her statement today, Carberry included balance regional development, cutting red tape for farmers and businesses and protecting free movement of students among her top priorities.

She also said she wants to see the development of a cross-European apprentice scheme that could benefit the sharing of skills and ideas to create more opportunities for young people.

“Honesty, hard work, and plain talking define my approach. Growing up in a family of Fine Gael supporters, lively debates and radio discussions were part of our daily lives. Fine Gael’s core value of equality of opportunity resonates deeply with me. As a candidate, I embody this principle,” Carberry wrote. 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

By the time she figures out how politics works, it will be another election. Europe is not the place to learn the ropes. I'd prefer to see her in the Dail or even council starting off. Strange really.

Delighted Wallace and Daly are gone. I think we have put some smart and outspoken MEPs in McNamara/Mullooley and Ming will always keep things honest.

Michael Martin has banished his biggest enemy to Europe in the odious Cowen and the Gardai won't dare try and stop him for drink driving now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's funny how the Green Party have been solely blamed in the public imagination for the move to emission based Motor Tax.

Not only were they not in Government when it was first announced, but they had never been in Government before up until that point. It would be like blaming SF for something the current government announced tomorrow. 

The change to basing Motor Tax on emissions was actually announced in Budget 2007, which was delivered in 2006. 

Here's the quote from Finance Minister Brian Cowan's (FF) speech at the time: (https://assets.gov.ie/194593/082b8141-377f-4d02-94e6-54b38f74c614.pdf)

At the same time, my colleague, the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government will consult on his proposals for a complementary rebalancing of annual motor tax. This would provide a further incentive through the motor tax system for the motoring public to drive cleaner cars and would impose some additional cost in respect of cars with higher carbon dioxide emission levels. This would apply to vehicles registered on or after 1 January 2008. Underpinning both of these initiatives will be a new mandatory labelling system for cars based on CO2 emission levels. Linking consumption taxes to environmental goals requires us to discuss the details of such moves thoroughly with stakeholders if we want to get it right. 

The government at the time was made up of Fianna Fail, the Progressive Democrats and 5 independents. The Minister for the Environment mentioned above was Martin Cullen from Fianna Fail. The Green Party were in opposition, and did not contribute to the budget. As mentioned, they had not ever been in Government at all up until this point. 

Here's an interesting article from October 2007. By this time the GP were in Government with FF and the PDs, but the Motor Tax reforms were delayed and were not due to be implemented in January 2008 as promised. In the article, Fine Gael's Phil Hogan is lambasting the Government at the time, especially The Green Party, for not introducing the changes. 

"One would have assumed that the entry of the Green Party into Government would have expedited the introduction of this environmental reform but instead I find that the measure has been pushed off until the middle of next year."

He continued: "If the Greens have as much influence as they claim, it has to be asked how this important environmental measure has been allowed to slip onto the back burner. Actions speak louder than words."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/motor-tax-reform-to-be-delayed-1.813158

The truth is that all political parties in the Dáil at the time supported the change to emissions based motor tax, not just the GP, and the GP were minority partners in Government when it was finally implemented, but it was FF and the PDs that actually introduced the idea.

And the truth is that all current major parties support wind and solar. There's simply no public appetite for nuclear power in this country. Personally, I'd like to see nuclear used - we import enough energy generated by it anyway. But can you imagine actually trying to plan and build a nuclear power station in this country? Look at the hassles we have even getting a 5G mast in some areas. People just don't want it near them - and near in terms of nuclear means within hundred of kilometres.

The Green's main issue is that the "green agenda" has actually been co-opted by all mainstream parties (and I include SF in that). It's just handy that they're a scapegoat when something turns out to be unpopular.

• Advertisement

Councils are full of shitehawks. She'd be safer in the Dail.

We have a few decent MEP's to represent us in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Any person who can píss off John Gibbons would get my vote. His a total and utterly mouth piece. When someone calls him out on twitter he blocks them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StoutPost

Fitzmaurice, Punch, and others all talked about peatland grassland emissions figures being wrong. Yet people like Gibbons will happily run with incorrect stories to blame farmers and brand people. When the figures WERE proven wrong, it gets hidden away.

What we see is a fundamentalist who's "beliefs" are more important than what I would believe to be a scientific approach which is QUESTIONING fashionable statements based on information from different countries (Finland in this case I believe).

And this post (and the one following it) is the problem with politics in Ireland and one explanation as to why we get some of the idiots we do in elections.

Completely ignore what someone said just because it's quoted by another person they dislike.

Yesterday on the last word, when discussing the fish kill over the last week, even when the farmers were not at fault he still managed to bring it around to the farmers being at fault.

He's right though, Gibbons uses the block button to hide from people who are actually able to question him. He's a balanced fundamentalist with a chip on both shoulders when it comes to most if not all types of agriculture. He is just as wrong as a farmer that would say there's no issues in farming.

I don't care what Gibbons has done or hasn't done, only reason it was his tweet I posted as it was the first I found regarding the actual content.

Would everyone have a different take if I had posted someone else's tweet? Like I said, this is the problem with politics, completely ignore the content, go for the personality.

All about how poor irish water were just trying to make clean water, but those dastardly farmers are out to ruin us all.

The fact that irish water essentially cleansed a river of good chunk of its life was brushed to the side so he could have a go at the farmers.

I don't even disagree that there is too much crap leeching into the waterways. It is just that it was not the topic of discussion and the farmer fixation was a bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭MFPM

IIt doesn't 'disprove' my point at all. You're being disingenuous. It's an article with a few generic meaningless clichés..

For someone who grew up around 'lively debates' it's a tad surprising she and her party felt she was utterly incapable of engaging in one.

In fairness to Maria Walsh she had little to say and has done little in her time in Europe but at least she engaged and debated unlike her running mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Gibbons is a hard core fundamentalist about the green agenda. His father was the minister of Agriculture, and probably over saw some of the drainage works and ditch removals during his time in office. They recently sold they're farm to coolmore, its still a functioning diary farm at the moment. An Taisce sold they're land to a dairy farmer a number of years ago. If he practiced what he preached and tried his ideas on they're farm but he didn't.

I will listen to someone who gives reasonable arguments, but what he wants is unreasonable and unfair. The only green he likes is money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,652 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's mad. Wexford Youths used pink, a horse logo and Youths ( English for Juventus) because of his live for Juve.

I assume the big all conquering Fiat works team didn't suit his "underdog" persona as much as the "real Turin team".

Thank god those two embarrassments are off the international stage.

Joker he is, it's pretty much been owned by Agnelli family since the year dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They certainly overachieved in the tail wagging dog stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭yagan

The thing that mystifies me about Wallace is he could have asserted his anti war conscientious objector stance and respected Ukrainians right to defend itself.

I've been in a room where he stated a lot of stuff I could chime with, but his EU voting stance undermining Ukraine completely nullified any defence of a conscientious objection.

If only his actions were counted then he very much put himself unapologetically in the Putin camp.

I'm nearly sure he was never that vociferous against the "West" in days gone by. That other poisonous toerag however…well she's always been like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

That man is a crook, and he always has been.

He's a typical Irish businessman, done a few bits for the people of Wexford and gets elected (Same as Quinn, still heralded as hero in Cavan). turns out he's a basket case, his bankruptcy was a farce, he evaded tax, and worst of all he withheld employee pension contributions.

He transferred all his assets to his kids and others to avoid paying up, construction was not the only sector he was involved in. (He still own a lot of businesses by proxy)

The crap with visiting an Iraqi militia camp, was a disgrace. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he and Daly are in the pockets of either China or Russia or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭josip

It suited both sides. The Green party were happy to be able to show to their voter base, look we're getting things done.

FFG were happy to be able to associate directives that they knew would be publicly unpopular with the Green Party.

The Greens would be one of the more ideological parties and they would prefer to remain true to their core beliefs than be overly concerned about votes and seats. I'd agree with a lot of what they try to achieve but I don't like how they are trying to urbanise rural Ireland. I also think that they should be more supportive of existing nuclear. Nobody wants to build new nuclear anyway so that's a non-issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

What did mullooly say, it's not clear from the link other than he's not a climate denier.

It says he rejected nature restoration (I assume he rejected the law rather than the concept altogether).

It also says he went on to "parrot" someone else's views. It's hardly a good summary of the content. It tells me more about gibbons than mullooly.

I now know that gibbons disagrees with whatever was said and it seems he may have an ideological difference on it. All I know is Mullooly agrees with Fitzmaurice on something and has said he's not a climate denier.

I don't know if he said the earth is flat and that he made disparaging remarks about the green party or if it he disagreed with the way carbon emissions are calculated and some of the policies being proposed by those in power. However based on what I know about Fitzmaurice it's likely the latter.

Advertisement