Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Irish politics discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Quite all over the place, splashes of de Valera's Ireland, libertarianism, pragmatism and culture wars.

One of them got elected in my hometown but I can't place him and social media doesn't tell me much about him, just the one person in common and that person has little interest in such politics, more likely because noth are quite athletic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It remains to be seen whether Independent Ireland will really function as a political party in the sense that we understand the term. it may be more of a shared brand, under which individuals who may not have that much in common, politically speaking, can co-operate to seek election.

Reportedly, the party is not going to operate a whip system; II representatives can vote as they think fit. Which means it hardly matters what policies (if any) the party formally adopts; elected representatives aren't required to support them.

In one sense this could be a strength for them; if the party is less prone to split over policy disagreements, because policy disagreements aren't a stress, that could make it quite resilient. You can have libertarians who favour the legalisation of sex work (like Boylan) in the same party as people who are quite socially conservative, and (in theory, at any rate) everyone's happy. In another sense it could be a weakness; the party will have difficulty doing deals if it can't reliably deliver its representatives' votes, or commit to support particular policies or positions. So as a party it may not be able to acheive very much. And if this become a public perception then the brand will cease to be useful in getting individuals elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If that is the case (no whip, opposite opinions on policies) then what is the point of it being a party?

Marketing. It's a brand under which people can seek election.

(And there may be technical advantages - as registered politcal party they can nominate candidates for election more easily than a candidate connected with no party can get nominated. If they get enough II TDs elected they will qualify for a leader's allowance and office expenses support for the party, plus get an allocation of parliamentary time for questions — that kind of thing.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I missed this statement at the time but I see it is coming back to haunt him now. Did comments like that lose Grace O'Sullivan her seat in Europe?

Where now for the leader and the party?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Could is not would, it's an aspiration or ambition. Yes, the Greens had a decline, that's the price of being a small party in a coalition in Ireland, generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Why would a party leader being confident/optimistic about seat counts at the local level hurt one of their European candidates?

A completely unrealistic aspiration that probably drove votes away from the Greens.

Well, SF not taking heeds of poll trends and running to many candidates, would be my main take from the elections.

So a question about the Greens and where they go and you want to talk about SF? There are a multitude of threads discussing SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Augme

"Wow, look at this political party with ambition, definitely won't be voting for them so." Can't really see the logic in that attitude personally but horses for courses and all that.

Do you think the two elections would be in tight compartments in voters minds? I wouldn't believe that for a second.
    Claiming the Kingdom for the Greens was way over the top and looking for a humbling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sinn Fein are the first party to experience a decline from not being in government.

Because something, anything to deflect from Sinn Fein.

Those who don't support the Greens really don't understand that they use every single day in government to make changes. They work on making sure those changes are irreversible so that it doesn't matter if they are not in government after the election. Achieving change is the priority of the Greens, as opposed to a party like Sinn Fein where achieving power is the goal with no idea what to do with it.

I am discussing SF on the threads about SF?

Things I have discussed:

SF had a bad day. SF is declining in the polls, SF look odds on to increase their MEPs and their LE vote share. SF need to up their game. MLMD may or may not be gotten rid off. SF didn't get what they expected to get.

Nobody, certainly not I, is running away from discussing SF.

I asked something specifically about the Greens and the pile-on about the Shinners starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

All of which you are spamming with nonsense to shut down the conversation

As I can't post in the majority of them that statement ^^^^ is nonsensical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

It looks like we'll have to wait now until the Planning and Development Bill comes into pass as it's been delayed until after the summer recess, all 700+ pages of it! Darrgh won't be getting this one done right now it seems!

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2024/0613/1454623-planning-bill/

https://www.thejournal.ie/planning-and-development-bill-delayed-autumn-6408745-Jun2024/

Interesting analysis in the IT of transfers across different councils. I wouldn't think it is much different in the EU elections either.
    Have FF and FG merged into one party in the minds of the voter despite their protestations that they are different.

• Advertisement

No, not at all. Rational and sophisticated transferring has long been a feature of Irish elections. There are a couple of reasons why FF and FG voters might transfer to one another that do not involve voters assuming they are the one party:

• Both parties have a similar ideological position on the centre-right. If you're a centre-right voter (and Ireland has always had a lot of those) then transferring from FF to FG or vice versa is a pretty obvious thing to do.
    • Both parties currently are in government together. If, broadly speaking, you're more supportive of the government than not, then it makes sense to transfer from one government party to another.
    • A significant cohort of older FF and FG voters either mistrust or detest SF, for historical reasons that we hardly need to rehearse. By the time the last FF or FG candidate has been eliminated/elected in any count, most of the minors/independents will also have been eliminated, and if these voters won't preference SF then their next effective preference is very likely to be the other centre-right party.

Just ask yourself the analogous question in relation to NI elections. If SF voters have a high transfer rate to SDLP and vice versa, or if DUP voters have a high transfer rate to UUP, do you imagine that this means they think that SF and SDLP/DUP and UUP are the one party? Or can you think of other reasons for transfer patters like these?

I would think that not too long ago the chances of a FF voter transferring first to a FGer would be slim and vice versa.

I agree with this.

It is a recent development that FF voters transfer to FG and vice versa.

A longer analysis of transfer patterns would be interesting. For example, Kathleen Funchion got something like 65% transfer from her SF colleague to get elected. This was an excellent transfer for the current election, but historically, there were transfer rates of over 80% between candidates and also better vote management. FF left a seat behind them because of running three candidates and unbalanced share of the vote, while FG did really well to get both Carberry and Walsh elected.

Possibly the worst example of vote management in this election was in Cabra, MLMD's home ground, where SF ran 4 candidates, had around 1.4 quotas in first preferences, but only managed to take one seat as the internal transfers were poor, too many candidates and they were transfer toxic, not picking up transfers from anywhere.

Lessons to be learned for all parties.

Longer term, one of the biggest beneficiaries of the election will be the smaller parties like Labour, SDs, PBP etc. Sinn Fein will be afraid to run too many candidates in the general election. Take Dublin West, for example, which I know well from living here. Paul Donnelly is the SF TD, he has installed his wife as councillor to protect his bailiwick. I doubt he will have a running mate as based on the local numbers, there isn't much more than a quota. That opens the door to Ruth Coppinger, a second FG candidate, or O'Gorman holding his seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭yagan

Won't be surprised if election is called right after dail reopens, Ffg would prefer the distraction of an election than have their housing bill scrutinized.

Can see it happening. The by-elections will be the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'd say analysis of transfers is least useful in local elections where an awful lot of voting is based on actually personally knowing the candidates.

Personally (and of course the plural of anecdote isn't data), I even had a candidate who was until recently a long-term FG member very high on my transfers on the basis of the fantastic work he does locally, and had him similarly high the last time round when he was FG, despite them featuring very low down in my transfers when it comes to general elections (pretty much just above the nutters on either side).

I'm really not convinced it is particularly demonstrative about what transfer patterns we can expect during a general election, beyond perhaps SF's general transfer toxicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭yagan

You can see it with councilors who split from ff and fg, their votes follow them and don't stay with the party.

You'd like to think this would usher in root and branch reform of SIPO but wagons will probably be circled again and 'lessons learned' etc etc.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2024/0621/1455983-sipo-gp-contract/

Noticeable that the court found that the decision was inadequately reasoned rather than wrong.

"It added that "it may be that there was a concern about the entitlement of the Commission to gather evidence that may be found in the confidential discussions of the cabinet.

However the court found that "this was not stated by the Commission. Ultimately it is not for this court to fill in the blanks"."

Effectively the court appears to have found that the right decision was made for the wrong reasons. Hence, it rejected Murphy's other requests.

• Advertisement

The court seem to have only made comments on procedural issues, Blanch. They've not said the right decision was made (though to be clear they have also not said that the wrong decision was made), they have said there was inadequate reasoning behind their decision not to investigate. The other request was the appointment of an Officer, which the court have said was adequately reasoned.

Rejection of the second complaint isn't a comment on the first complaint, and in no way does it suggest the right decision was made for the wrong reasons because the second complaint wasn't upheld.

The court has pretty much said the previous, 'investigation' (or lack thereof) no longer exists and instructed SIPO to either investigate or provide appropriate justification for not doing so.

It may well be a storm in a teacup, and SIPO just come back with appropriate justification for not investigating. Hopefully if they do so, their justification will stand up to legal scrutiny.

I've no idea how anyone could read that and come away with the conclusion that the court think SIPO made the right decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

In my opinion,the court there has aaked SIPO to state why it saw fit not to investigate

That should be simple enough for them to do as the reasoning should be there as it is,just unpublished

The court is not taking a view,nor should it on Mr Murphys conspiracy theory re SIPO being biased or something if thats what he's suggesting

Do ya know he'll have another pointless greasy pole uphill battle on that score anyway given the DPP ruling on the case,more in his line to be looking after his constituents

It’d never actually be the half arsed government body at fault could it?

Murphy whatever you think of him is holding to account the body that should be holding others to account on our behalf.

Should we not be grateful he has done this?

Sort of; SIPO may well decide not to investigate again, this time providing adequate reasoning, but the courts have not just asked them why they saw fit not to investigate and instructed them to publish the justification, they've overturned their previous decision not to investigate altogether.

If the reasoning was there, but unpublished surely 1) that would've been brought up during the court case 2) they should've fecking published it?

SIPO have clearly fallen short of expectations, deflecting over to criticisms of Paul Murphy won't handwave that away.

That being said (and I think I was pretty clear in my initial comment) the courts absolutely haven't found anything amounting to gross impropriety from SIPO. It could well be a procedural issue and we'll be back to where we started in a few short weeks except this time with adequate reasoning.

Not scandal of the century by any means, but absolutely a, 'must do better' admonishing for SIPO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is this the same Paul Murphy that was not held responsible for the mob attack on Joan Burton, holding her captive for hours, while he held an actual megaphone, shouting instructions and organising the mob actions?

Did you have your own trial and find him guilty?

Think whatever you like but the court has found SIPO have a case to answer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have found no-one guilty of anything. Is it the same Paul Murphy?

No, the Paul Murphy involved here did not hold anyone captive nor organised a ‘mob attack’.

I did not say he held anyone hostage. I said quite the opposite in fact.

Quote: Is this the same Paul Murphy that was not held responsible for the mob attack on Joan Burton, holding her captive for hours, while he held an actual megaphone, shouting instructions and organising the mob actions?

I recall that a Paul Murphy was actually present at the episode, and he did actually have a megaphone. He claimed not to be responsible for the mob.

But was this the same Paul Murphy?

Another who cannot bear the government or it’s institutions being scrutinised never mind held to account.

Play the insinuation game with somebody else maybe. Not interested tbh

The same Paul Murphy who believes Labour and Greens aren't pure enough to be part of a left wing alliance. Yes what Varadkar did was very silly. Took him a good while as a Minister/Taoiseach to figure what was acceptable or not.

• Advertisement

I agree Varadka was very silly to do what he did, and SIPO just need to explain themselves, assuming they can.

I don't think they need to explain themselves. Rather they need to go back to the drawing board and do their job properly this time round.

They need to explain themselves because that is what the court ordered. If they cannot, then it is back to the start.

The court has ordered that the previous decision is overturned. They're already back to the start. They don't need to explain themselves; they've done that in court and it was unsatisfactory.

If they decide not to investigate again, they need to provide actual justification for not doing so this time, otherwise I'd imagine we'll have another spin around this merry go round.

Thats not a clear way of describing what the decidion was

If it was Mickey Mouse ,T.D for North louth southwest who stepped in as Taoiseach for a week while varadkar was having a lobotomy,who was not being investigated,the court,or this judge woukd also ask Sipo to provide its reasoning

The court has made a new precedent,that all SIPO decisions of whatever ilk now must come with published reasons

Its created a super FoI ,if you like

Consequence is simply to state its reasons which shouldn't be difficult and in my view should always be done

Their job on tgat score has been made easier by the DPP's decision in the matter which makes me question why Paul Murphy thinks he's won something?

He has done us some service alright with the legal precedent I mentioned alright but I don't think thats what he was looking for ?

Post edited by pureza on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Good loser

With the 'separation of powers' I don't think the High Court should be involving itself in Oireachtas matters like this.

Certainly the only possible point it could adjudicate was a procedural point. It could/should not consider the substantive point.

Well now,I'll leave that to the imagination

But do you know what he got won't reopen a dead dpp investigation

What it has done is require Sipo in future to give a reason for NOT investigating something as opposed to just not saying anything

It never usually had to give a reason FOR investigating something as the complaint would usually be public

So SIPO on the back of this new procedural precedent will be back at some point to publish why it see's no merit in investigating Paul Murphy's complaint,and that will be that,except Murphy will have enriched a few barristers maybe,who are probably happy out with him ?

But SIPO has always been required to give a reason for not investigating something. Hence the reason for the judicial review. Again, it's not a new procedural precent, it's something they've always been required to do under the legislation, but for some reason they didn't bother to do it.

To be honest,I hadn't read the legislation,so thats new to me

It doesn't change anything so,other than Murphy will have freed up that bit of information which I'm sure will be published when SIPO get round to it

• Advertisement
Advertisement