Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Labour won't be able to afford to lose what looks like a nailed on seat in DBN with AOR, so it's likely a given he'll stand.

Same with Funchion. Not sure what McNamaras ambitions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭squonk

If I was McNamara I’d stay in the EU but he might be wary of losing national exposure.

As an aside, what was he story with the guy from the LE who stood in two areas for council seats and won both. There really should be a rule that you stand only fur one seat. He deprived another candidate of a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

@WishUWereHere Bring on the GE.

Yes roll on to the GE before the end of year!?

We aren't the last country (/EU State) to get our results in.

• provisional results from 10 countries: Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

https://results.elections.europa.eu/en/

Our 4 FF, 4 FG, 2 SF, 3 IND and 1 Labour! Seems like a good representive of views/politics?

I will be following the formations of groups and keeping up with the news on the EU Parliament.

Post edited by corkie on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agree on this - Whatever about standing in the LE and the European Elections as some of the Far Right nutters did - Standing in multiple districts for the same council should absolutely not be allowed.

Pick one and take your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,553 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I will be following the formations of groups and keeping up with the news on the EU Parliament.

Luke Ming made a very good point about how hard that is to do here - how can you expect people to take the work of the MEP seriously when the national broadcaster only highlights what is happening once a month, late at night. I would have some sympathy with Claire Daly's outburst at RTE too, the only time I have ever seen the national broadcaster seek her views was in attack/justify yourself mode. Instead of been given the opportunity to explain she had to concentrate on defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, FG ran Austin Currie and there was huge criticism of them for doing that.

@FrancieBrady Hopefully by following below account and viewing European websites and sites like

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/plenary/en/home.html .

I'm aware our own media are lacking on reporting on things. Interesting few months ahead with the Nominations and Election of EU Commision President. Ursula is not a given yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tarvis

it is very difficult to follow the EU proceedings. Our media don’t dedicate anything like enough time or space to the parliament - those who wear the public service hat or the newspaper of record title should be made to better cover the place from where most of our laws originate.

Yes, I am aware there are ways to keep up>
    I think the point Flanagan was making could be expanded. There is a top down disrespect for the MEP IMO. The disrespecting of the position with celeb candidates, lack of coverage by the national broadcaster, the feeling it is a vehicle to get rid of a troublesome TD as has been mentioned here, the idea it is a highly paid retirement home for end of career high flyers.
    Not great optics tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, obviously once an MEP heads to parliament buildings (is it Brussels or Strasbourg?) they join a different "party" or political grouping. Their EU party never talk to the electorate directly. We always elect them as representatives of Dáil Éireann parties. Maybe if they were made to name their EU party on the ballot, we might get more coverage and education about the system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In the South and Dublin counts, the GP was the last to be eliminated, which is commendable for a small party - but not useful. The outgoing MEPs did great work in Europe.

Patrick Costello (GP TD) took a case against the CETA trade agreement between Canada and the EU that would give multi-national corporations the right to sue governments (in a non-Irish court) for loss of profits if legislation was passed in Ireland that affected their profits adversely - irrespective of the purpose of that legislation.

An example might be the Irish Gov banning gambling adverts that prevented the Lotto from advertising. Lotto at the time was owned by a Canadian pension fund. Another was related to the packaging of cigarettes or alcohol. The MN could have sued the Irish Gov for loss of profits in a non-Irish tribunal.

Costello took a case as far as the Supreme court [at considerable personal risk as to costs] to get this adjudged to be unconstitutional and won the case. He deserved credit for this, but got none.

The Greens get a lot of hostile press from the farming and the motoring lobbies. Anyone looking at farmers driving around in huge, even massive, tractors, or school deliveries of kids in huge, even massive, SUVs can see where the opposition to the Greens comes from.

It is not the Greens who have failed to build social/council housing over the last 40 years. It is not the Greens who have allowed rents to increase enormously over the last decade. It is not the Greens who allow landlords to eject tenants into homelessness for no fault of the tenant. 'Tenant not affected' only applies to commercial property sales, not private landlords.

Whatever about their popularity, I believe they truly have the future of the planet in their sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

By a few cranks and lunatics. The type that complain about everything, the type that kept FG out of Govt for most of its first 80 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

A lot of non green voters like myself were delighted with Costellos action. Says it all that his party colleagues and govt colleagues didn’t agree with it however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Playing Devil's Advocate here but I suspect that the reason the media doesn't cover European politics is that there isn't much of an interest in it. Certainly with the news websites they can see with their metrics what people are interested in.

Why are people not as interested in it? In Ireland when it comes to foreign politics most of our bandwidth is taken up by the UK and the USA. American politics is a circus but it's an entertaining one. Then UK politics has the spectacle of Prime Ministers Question time which is pure theatre.

By contrast the European Parliament, I believe, doesn't have any official opposition so you don't get that spectacle. It's also one of many different EU bodies - many of which are confusingly named and the relationship between them all is not obvious. (The Council of the European Union vs The European Council for example. Seriously - who named these things!)

I dunno. Perhaps there is no interest in it because there's no coverage and it's a Catch-22

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭squonk

Thanks for that info on Patrick Costello’s. You’re right. We as voters deserved to know this at election time. Blame the media or even the GP for not highlighting things like this. That’s the sort of MEP I want and it’s why I’m on here complaining about the likes of Nina Carberry and Maria Walsh.

The Greens definitely did pee farmers off. I’m from a farming background and there did seem to be a relentless campaign singling out farmers for creating excessive emissions. Meanwhile other industries got less exposure. Farmers might have big tractors but these are tools. It’s the same as a haulier. They are central to a farmer doing their job. SUVs dropping kids to school are arguably less essential. Farmers have had enough and the greens are paying. Rural Ireland is seen as being left behind by tge greens. Yes, it’s grand opening greenways for the tourists but people can’t get public transport to make commuting the work or pleasure practical. Meanwhile cars are being vilified and parking spaces are being cut back on new developments like schools etc. The greens are seen as a bunch of cushy city dwellers with big ideas on saving the world but no concept of bringing everyone on he journey with them. That’s why they’re paying now.

With respect to the national broadcaster when has it ever been given anything other than late night afterthought programming though?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The CETA Investment Court was/is just a formalisation and centralisation of something that already exists. Investor-State disputes are arbitrated frequently already, there was no new rights being granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

The cattle are more of the issue , not so much the tools. agree on SUVs though, taking over the roads now and in most cases they arent needed.

funny you say public transport cant get people to work…. bus connects keeps getting objected to by the nimbys. the greens would like people to get on the journey with them alright id say - irish people would prefer to object and keep things the same though by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

And all the more bizarre given the importance of the EU for us but unlikely you'll see EU threads on boards. Some people in Ireland just regard American politics as more important than our own.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Parliament just isn't the most important or interesting body in the EU anyway. I don't think we give EU elections the seriousness they deserve, but it is also fair to say that they are far less important than national elections.

• Advertisement

@flazio Maybe if they were made to name their EU party on the ballot

Some of the candidates said they wanted to wait till after election, and see the lay of the land.

Group formation talks are only now happening Greens had the first on the 12th.

EPP (FG are in this) meets next Monday I believe.

Some new groups possibly could be formed and old groups dissolved?

I posted a list of our MEP's and what Groups they maybe part of, based on last pariliment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_European_Parliament_for_Ireland%2C_2024%E2%80%932029

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭StormForce13

Yep.

Just like the great Cicciolina back in the day, although she was more upfront about screwing her electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭yagan

Considering MEPS vote on proposals put forward by the commission who are appointed by national governments I don't think it's looked down on. It's a consultative parliament in a voluntary union.

However Carberry's lack of any serious public experience is just cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭StormForce13

I know where you're coming from, but the huge moolah available in Brussels makes me doubt that any sane elected MEP would contemplate settling for sloppy seconds in the Leinster House bearpit.

(Obviously that excludes the two Shinner MEPs who will do whatever they're told. Incidentally, I wonder will Lynn employ Harry Potter as her tea boy - he's bright enough to realise that his ambition to become the SF Minister for Homelessness isn't going to come to fruition any time soon.)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DamiensNeck

McGuinness has a degree in agriculture and accounting, worked as a journalist on agricultural matters and then got elected and took place on agri committees.

No comparison to the jockey and lovely girls competition winner.

Ukraine aren't defending themselves though. It's a proxy war.

When are the yanks getting cut off from SWIFT payments? Where's the consistency? The EU are hypocrites.

Ukraine were close to a peace agreement in the early stages of the war before BoJo stuck his oar in.

What's the point of running for MEP and then running for TD in a few months? Job security is it?

She was obviously told to keep her head down during the campaign and don't engage.
    As cynical as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

"Ukraine aren't defending themselves"

"Ukraine were close to a peace agreement"

GTFO with that Kremlin propaganda. I can see now why you were bitter about Daly losing her seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

If you happen to be awake (really)early doors, EURONEWS happens to show quite a bit of what doesn be going on,it being very pro-ukrainian(nearly propaganda when i occasionally watched it at4am for a bit), you'd be aurprised of who the owner(s) are.

Advertisement