Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter McVerry Trust has 'financial issues'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Homeless charities been rotten for years. Everyone knows this. It's an industry now.

It suits government policy.

Charities regulator not coming off well this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

How the hell did The Capuchin centre have millions of euro to give to Pmv trust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They receive a large number of donations. Pope Francis visited the centre in 2018 during his Papal visit, I'd imagine they received a huge amount of donations from across the world as a result. Any voluntary organisation the Pope visits gets flooded with donations thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

The charity regulator it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Is anyone or anything in this country honest anymore, or where they ever!??

What a basket case of a country we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

That was a pretty damning investigation into the charities industry. 11500 charities and just 59% of them actually bother to be compliant with even the basic rules the regulator sets out. Only 14 struck off last year.

And that doesn't include the go fund me chancers who never even bother to register as a charity. One lad I know of recently raised over 80k on a go fund me campaign. Got national coverage and everything. But no oversight on how the money was spent and he recently just closed the campaign and moved onto his next scam.

So, 11,500 charities in Ireland - I imagine many get their donations via bookface and social media because I certainly don’t know the name of 11,500 Irish charities- the regulator itself admits it has piss poor processes for veting new requests for charity status in the past and considering 37% of charities haven’t submitted financial reports to the charities regulator as they’re required to do but only a handful have been prosecuted for this-, it’s simple to deduct that 1000s of charities out there who have the guise of being legitimate are simply there to swindle the public and line the pockets of the charity founder -

It’s like a random begging letter is probably more likely to be a legitimate request for money, than an Irish registered charity (yes slight exaggeration, but not by much)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He's 80 years old so presumably in receipt of a Contributory Pension and perhaps some assistance from his order, Jesuits Ireland.

But of course, he lives off the biggest charity (business) of them all, the church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Charities and Regulator came out very poorly there. Amazing how all these charities start out with great intentions, but then become so corrupt as time goes by….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Actually I had a family members in the Orders. The Order has complete financial control over them. They get a small allowance of something like 10 euro a week. Anything bigger like a health care visit or piece of clothing, groceries, food, heating, that is an expense for the order and is paid for by the purser. On the other hand an inheritances, outside salaries (teachers nurses etc), are property of the Order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Heather Humphreys the main government top brass over "charities"

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

Being ineffective and practicing what it calls self governance.

I for one will continue to follow my own personal policy, which is charity = my income and other taxes, as I gladly point out to those chuggers about town, that are longing for my bank account details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

A cousin of my grandfather was an only child and had been estranged from all of the extended family for a long time. He passed away with no immediate family but efforts to reach extended family were successful. Anyway there was another first cousin who was a nun and the glee of this woman when she thought she was bringing an inheritance into the order was incredible. He had come from a much better off side of the family but had never really worked and lived a fairly frugal life on whatever he'd inherited. It must have been some shock to the nun to find out there was **** all left in the end. The rest of the family were relieved to find out he'd reached a good age in relative contentment but she was a piece of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

’why’ is an even better question.

People who donate to that organisation are doing so expecting that all the money they donated is staying in church st to be used there by them..

If I donate hypothetically 1000 euros to say, the Irish wheelchair association, I’m not going to be enamoured to learn say if 10% of their donations annually are gifted or repositioned to other charities…..if they can afford to gift away their own money, they ain’t going to be in recipient of any of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

There is either a coldness that are in people to become nuns or it is part of the initiation and conditioning. Ever wonder why Tusla and Nuns do the same work? The same people with different uniforms.

These people run charities, its not just the money, its the power over another human beings life.

Myself and wife were desperately in need of accomodation. No sign of one coming, no criminal records, one on disabilty one on minimum wage. Simon community were all talk and useless.

All this money is lost on wages, advertising, corporate entertainment (T&A account) and feck all to show for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

personally I think all charities start off with the best of intentions, they then become these big organisations without the controls of companies.

someone takes advantage and it comes ceashing down, but basically it's regulatory failure and the fact that gov can't be bothered providing services.

I see Simon have closed in donegal and there's no council service to even contact.

if the public service can't be bothered, get rid of the staff and subcontract whatever services and then you can have metrics and service level agreements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

what ever you think of the Church, whatever you think of PMVT, whatever you think of him personally, Peter McVerry has certainly earned whatever pension he is getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Shan Doras

An elderly grand aunt of mine is always falling for those kind of Facebook campaigns/scams that they showed on primetime last night (we need X amount by Friday, or the donkey will have to go to the knackersyard) Just this week , she sent 1800€ to Africa to pay for the "school fees of a big family" 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Shan Doras

Del

I think having the volume of charities that exist in Ireland at present masks the lack of work the government or doing- and yes, many of the people in these charities don’t have the requisite skills or knowledge to run them compliantly and effectively .

We’ve heard too many stories now about embezzlement bad accounting failure to keep records etc to know that there’s something rotten going on out there.

Personal appeals on go fund me from people you know or relatives of people you know, seem to be where people are directing their donations these days- I’m the last week I got 3 requests- a family members friend who she’s known since childhood, and two women’s marathons fund raisers for two people with cancer - I gave to all 3. This is money charities used to get so I’d say takings are down all round as the public aren’t as gullible as they once were and some of the big charity names are not what they once were from a credibility and trust perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

I have a strong feeling that many more big charities will follow with Prime Time expose programmes. Just a matter of time, the entire big charity syndrome (which I'm sure started off with the best intentions) is broken. Its not even about CEO pay (which is a talking point) but about how they use volunteers who genuinely have an attachment as they would have went through it first hand and wish to help etc, without them its not possible to run a charity. Honestly the sector at big charity level is rotten to the core. Loads of well meaning charities where people devote time to be auditors\CEO where they don't look for or earn any money, try and donate to these if you can :) 75 homeless charities in Dublin says it all, its become a business now. They are actually making the situation worse not better and should all merge into a government department\be centralised agencies.

I agree.

The meagre finances of an elderly priest are neither here nor there in the context of what we are discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Marcos

The Govt would do well to audit some of funds it is giving to charities and NGOs before more of these situations arise.

This definitely needs to be done, but the government don't want to be the ones to do this. Where do you think failed politicians go to after they've been turfed out on their ears? A nice cushy number on the board of these NGOs and Charities. And whatever they may try to argue, there is a huge overlap between them. After previous exposés of behaviour in these bodies, there is a huge loss of trust by the public.

If you'll forgive the hyperbole, if we see the same kind of revelations that we've had with previous charities and RTE, this could be the first death throes of Civil Society* in Ireland. Our society is already beginning to fracture with different pressures placed upon it, and many number of people seeing that the government is actively contributing to those pressures, rather than dealing with them, and we have the corresponding loss of trust in politicians as a result. How long do you think they will continue to listen to lectures from well off members of Civil Society from soft ball interviews in the Irish Times or RTE?

*AKA your betters, as in they think they are.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about what a charity is in this thread. In reality it's a tax / revenue status that allows you to avoid certain taxes. To get charitable status you need to show that you are engaged in a charitable cause. The vast majority of charities are not volunteer driven, raising money for a good cause type of organisation, most charities are more professional than that.

I sit on the Board of a charity that has no donors, does not use volunteers, does not provide a 'caring' service to people or animals, and which is run and operated by well paid professionals. Because however it is engaged in one of the ten areas of charity and does not have shareholders or members to whom it has to provide a dividend to (i.e. is a not for profit) it has charitable status. There are lots of companies that operate like that. I would also note that Charity trustees cannot be paid for sitting on the Board of a Charity, although if they are Executive Directors they will be getting a salary.

In my role on that Board I have had dealings with the Charities Regulator and they are exactly as the Prime Time programme showed them to be.

• Advertisement

who pays the “well paid professionals” can I ask? Would it be the government and in turn, the taxpayer?

There is no "cushy number" on the board of a charity.

Board members of a charity cannot be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

No, the professionals that run the company and work for the company are paid by the company the same as every other private company.

The vast majority of charities don’t get government monies and most don’t seek donations. Your view of what a charity is is focussed narrowly on the type seeking donations and using government money to provide services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

After watching last nights Prime Time episode investigating charities in Ireland I will not donate a single cent of my money to any charity in this country until someone is sentenced to prison for at least a year based on what was exposed. Peter McVerry Trust was always touted as a great charity doing great work, probably the best that in that your money would be going direct to the right causes, the complete opposite is the case, McVerry should step down and disassociate himself from this joke of an organisation.

There's so many existing regulations in this country for white collar crime, fraud and money laundering that people need to be behind bars after what was exposed. Then you have the handling of those exposing the fraud thrown to the ditch by the authorities they are to report governance issues to, such an absolute corrupt country we are living in, an unpoliced joke.

Transactions to Bet 365 from Cat Haven charity, did he have any big winners to treat his kittens to, lol. Hopefully the entire charity industry in the country completely collapses after seeing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Exactly.

I'm involved in a charity in the arts sector. Like the poster said, we are really not-for-profit, not charity.

No donations. No grants. No one's pockets lined. Our members subscriptions pay the costs of an artistic director and one or two others. All are part time freelancers. A few members, myself included, volunteer to be on a committee that co-ordinates events, manages finances etc. We do it 'cos we find the core activity to be good recreation, and we need an organisation to facilitate it.

We probably don't meet all the Charities Regulators rules, either. It's madness expecting the same standards from us, as from the likes of PMVCT, which is run by full time professional administrators, and has full time employees, government grants and fundraising.

Feel the same way, though there are local charities where members dont make money, for the most part its a huge scam, people making a living out of the charity they founded. Disgraceful that its not policed better and that the fines\deterrents aren't much bigger. Hopefully all of the big ones will collapse in the next few years.

Post edited by CorkFenian on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have been criticising PMVT for a long time, they are not the only ones.

Haven't given any money to charities for over a decade now, but have volunteered hundreds of hours during that time.

You are right that there are good local charities which are worth supporting.

However many of the bigger charities are providing essential services to people who depend on them.

I'd prefer to see them brought into line by a stronger oversight system than to allow them to collapse and leave those who need them to suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

I'd be slow to support any charity to be honest.

I left the animal welfare charity I worked in for many years due to disgusting governance issues and bullying and in my experience most of them are the same way. Intimidation is rife within charities towards anyone who raises issues. Too many people lining their pockets with no regard for what the charity is meant to achieve.

I was preparing to go to the regulator but after watching this programme is there any point in becoming a whistleblower or will it just cause personal hardship with no results?

I believe if they collapse like Console , it may force government to bring them into government departments. Otherwise all of this will just happen again on repeat, I do accept your point though, I don't want anyone to lose valuable services. Maybe a bit of short term pain (and I don't say that lightly) for long term gain :)

I'd still prefer not to see vulnerable people suffering.

Structured reform is needed with replacement by public services where it is necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Look at the development of charities and you see a pattern: Steps to a fortune are

1. a person with empathy sees a local problem and sets about helping out of the goodness of their heart
    2. they rope in a few other people on a voluntary basis to provide what is a useful service
    3. they apply for funding from local authority etc to help cover out of pocket costs
    4. after a few years, they apply for funding for an office/ office worker to help organise the volunteers
    5. they apply for more money each year and expand staff to include a campaign fundraiser and lobbyist
    6. they establish their brand and even though still largely voluntary, start to make their service indispensable
    7. once established as indispensable, they move away from the voluntary model and become fully professional
    8. they continue to expand, increasing their funding requests year on year.
    9. the work is important, but equally now are the pay & conditions, pension arrangements of the growing staff
    10. the needs of the staff become paramount if funding is threatened.
    11. it becomes an empire building exercise.

100% it needs to be reined in ASAP Fantastic post and summary hopefully a journalist will print it needs to be seen by many people :)

I have a feeling most journalists in Ireland will just play the game unfortunately and not run with it

Post edited by CorkFenian on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

No charity should be allowed to go beyond step 2.

After that it is a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭JVince

"Charity" needs to be reclassified.

Schools and colleges are mostly "charities"

Churches are "charities"

Almost half of registered charities have an income of less than 100,000.

At the same time Concern , Goal, Trocaire, PeterMcVerry trust and other very very large organisations are "charities" and a scandal in a large organisational charity can have an affect on the small localised charity.

Ideally there should be a "Micro-charity" status where no salary or wage is provided to any staff member or where there is a financial limit of paid employment, eg. €5,000 and income is less than €100,000. Limited but still regulated financial reporting required by a registered accountant.

Then have a standard charity status for the large but not excessively large charities. Maybe €2m average annual income (5 year average to allow for one off large bequests) and providing a full independent financial audit every 5 years. Regular accounts in-between)

and then for the super "charities", call them "not-for-profit" organisations. Let them bring in good staff, but like what the government did for banks have limits on pay and bonuses and may other regulations.

But putting everyone from the €10k a year to €100m a year "charity" under the one name is simply not right in this day & age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2024/0611/1454193-mcverry-contract-tender/

A transport company owned by a couple who are tenants of the Peter McVerry Trust was given a €200,000 bus contract by the housing charity without a tender process, Prime Time has learned.

One of the tenants, Alan Bollard, who operates the bus company, later went on to work as head of logistics at the McVerry Trust. 

However, public records show that in late 2016, Mr Bollard sold a home he had purchased around the peak of the property bubble, ten years earlier. Around the time of that sale, he moved into a house that was purchased by the McVerry Trust.

An internal Peter McVerry Trust document seen by Prime Time says that the "property was bought using PMVT's charitable funds and the tenants given a 25-year lease at 80% market rate."

but for several years, he was simultaneously a tenant, employee and contractor for the McVerry Trust.

I'd love to hear from the poster who used to attack anybody who dared question McVerry, I wonder if he was on the take as much as everybody else appears to have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

A big tender, a home and a job all gifted to a mate of the CEO. The charities regulator has to step in and shut it down now. Clear corruption going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Gifted a house in Cellbridge where Father Pat also lives and mates as well, always said there was money to made out of religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sheepondrugs

• Advertisement
Advertisement