Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2024 AH thread

Options
  • 13-06-2024 7:59pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This has creeped up with very little fanfare but the European Football Championships start tomorrow night.

England seem to be favourites, they haven't been convincing as of late, Germany have been a mess the last few years but home advantage might buoy them on like 2006, of all the big guns France are probably the safest bet.

I find the 24 team tournament bloated and it drags on a bit, suppose as long as we get fireworks in the latter stages like last time I won't mind.

First match between Germany and Scotland kicks off in 24 hours time at the Allianz Arena in Munich.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

As derided as it is sometimes I think you can’t beat international football.

Having being at the 2012 and 2016 tournaments I’m a bit gutted not to be at this one as I think Germany will be great hosts. Very few nations capable of hosting 24 team tournament and I’d have no objections to them being made a permanent host.

No doubt the Scots fans will travrl in huge numbers with it being their first tournament outside the UK in over a quarter of a century.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I remember my first European championships

Euro 88 , things were simpler before the iron curtain fell

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The final will be played on Bastille Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If England get Kane, Saka, Foden, Bellingham and Walker firing with something resembling a fit Luke Shaw for the latter stages they should win it, the only thing holding them back will be Southgate's tactical cowardice in game.

France should be there or there abouts, Germany with home advantage. Italy could bore their way into the final.

Best value comes from the Iberian Peninsula, Portugal or Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭randd1

Have to say, I was sceptical about the 24 team format, but I've warmed to it big time since it kicked off.

I read somewhere that since they introduced it, only one game out of the 24 round 3 games (there's been 2 tournaments with it) hasn't had something on the line for one of the teams involved in the game, be it a favourable draw or progress to the next round. You're not just up against teams in your own group, but other groups too. It's definitely added to it for me.

And of course you can't beat knockout tournament soccer. And extra round containing 8 games? Hook it my veins please.

Obviously it would be much better if Ireland was there8, but I'll be glued to it nonetheless. It's one month every two years, I intend to enjoy it.

*It's a pity UEFA didn't take the 16 next best teams that didn't qualify and run off a European Nations Shield competition, using the time in between the various rounds to run it off. You'd have the whole of Europe tuned in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was also skeptical of the 24 game format. 2016 was a bit of a dire slog through the group stages: lots of teams playing for draws and the like and hoping to scrape through as one of the best third placers in the group.

Though I have to say I think the last Euros was maybe - maybe - the best tournament I've ever seen. Maybe it was because it was the first big tournament post COVID and there was a bit of novelty, mixed with relief, to it all, but I don't remember much negative football: most teams just went for it. And there was some great stories too: Denmark making that deep run into it after the Eriksson health scare, the psychodrama of England - so poor in the group and then the gathering momentum after that - the romance of Italy going all the way.

I'll also never out the Monday of the last 16 round ties - "Magic Monday" - Spain V Croatia & France V Switzerland. What a day of football that was: both games were epics that were full of drama and massive twists and turns. I think France V Switzerland is my favourite game of all time.

I'll also, sadly, never forget how it was right at the business end of the tournament: semi finals and finals when boards migrated to Vanilla and was down for a number of days. Great timing lads!

But, anyway, let's hope this doesn't occur this time: I'd have more genuine concern about boards abruptly just plain old full stop ceasing to exist at any moment, than a temporary pause on service!

Haven't really been following the form going into this. England are being touted as potential winners, but, I just never believe they will. France have ridiculous depth & Germany have home advantage.

I might put a few quid on Portugal - they do have quality all over their squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭whitelaurel

what? Germany a permanent host? Thats a strange aul concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Four third placed teams qualifying is rewarding mediocrity I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The RTE panel/presenters/pundits line up that was announced yesterday is absolutely dreadful.....

In the past, outside of the main 4 lads (Giles, Dunphy, Brady, Bill) they would pull in the likes of a Joe Kinnear or a Graeme Souness......now we suffer Richie Sadlier, Stephen Kelly and a few token women...

What was once unmissable viewing has now become 'must avoid'.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

They can't afford it anymore paying foreigners to come in.

What's more surprising is that none of the half decent Irish players of the 90's and 00's are interested. Even if they weren't great at speaking at least their opinion would be worth something unlike the people they do have - okay Stephen Kelly was fairly decent.

Maybe they can only afford people living in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

During the last World Cup, I watched little to none of the punditry on RTE (or any station for that matter), tuned in about 30 seconds before kick off, TV went on mute at half time, and channel was changed/tv turned off at full time. The RTE pundits don't bring anything to the experience…. at least with Dunphy/Giles, they'd be good craic when having a go at someone/something…

Richie Sadlier is kinda ok, but it wears very thin very soon watching him.

Stephen Kelly is very unlikeable. He's got one of those faces that wouldn't look out of place on the receiving end of a slap or a punch.

The only "foreigners" I remember were Sourness and Hamman, Kinnear is Irish. Hamman is still there.

Doyle, Given and McClean all live in England AFAIK.

From the 90s you have both Houghton and Whelan on Co-Comms as usual.

The rest of the squads from that era don't do TV punditry or are available, Townsend does Co-Comms syndicated and Talksport, Cas is on talksport and Keane works for ITV.

Lawrenson is retired and Irwin does the bare minimum on MUTV.

That leaves Quinn who doesn't do it anymore.

So who do you think the half decent Irish players should be from that era, who did I miss?

I didn't say it should be anyone. Just making an observation that we had a lot of good players and seemingly not one of them is on the panel of the national broadcaster for Irish games or international tournaments (for various practical reasons I'm sure).

Maybe you're too young to remember the lofty days of Ozzie Ardiles on RTE. There might have been a few more guest appearances at international tournaments too back in the day.

I didn't know Hamann is still there I was just replying to another post.

Forgot Ozzie, he wasn't that long ago TBF.

Point remains though, we never really populated the panel with non Irish players with must of them living or still living in England.

So the idea we can't afford to employ foreign pundits falls flat.

Postecoglou is a pundit for ITV so him and Keane should be fun.

Moyes and Thomas Frank will be interesting for the BBC.

Well we won't fall out over it.

I've a sneaky feeling on the Germans to win it and a fairytale ending for Kroos who will surely pick up the player of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Didn't do Ireland any harm in WC 1994 or Euro 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Giles, Dimphy, Brady pundit combination was way overrated.

There are some points that might support this view, such as timing in that they were around for the 'glory' years so we were happy to see them. They also had Bill, who I think brought them up a few levels. What a brilliant broadcaster he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭randd1

Pity it's not on Virgin.

The Virgin media setup of Tommy Martin as anchor, and two of either Brian Kerr, Richard Dunne or Damien Delaney is a far superior setup to anything RTE has to offer.

Way ahead in analysis, not afraid to say anything, and not afraid to try a bit of humour or a chuckle either, feels very natural in their conversation. Tommy Martin is obviously very knowledgeable as a host regarding soccer which helps.

By comparison, RTE looks like the only effort they put into it is in the studio design.

Still though, at least these days we can mute the analysis, or just pause it then fast forward through to when the actual match is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

With Elections, Athletics, GAA and Rugby I haven't been keeping up to speed with this tourney but love international soccer. Who are the main favourites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Euro's and WC are the only times I have a flutter and I've been quite successful - the best result was €20 on Milan Baros at 66/1 back in 2004.

I think France will be hard to beat and whilst Germany hasn't been firing, I think they could be in with a shot due to the home advantage. England on paper should win it but England will probably do an England on it. I think the key is Bellingham and if teams can shut him down, England will lose a lot of potency.

I have backed France and England. Germany, Belgium, and Portugal are my long shots.

I have put a cheeky tenner on Füllkrug (25/1) as he seems to be the point man for Germany. I also dropped a tenner on Ronaldo purely because they have Albania and Turkey in their group. I dropped a tenner on Lukaku (14/1) as he has been in great form for Belgium, but he always lets me down! I put a €5 e/w (22/1) on Giroud as he tends to perform for France… plus all the attention will be on Mbappe so he may grab a few tap-ins.

Mbappe will probably take the golden boot but the odds were too low and Mbappe can be hit and miss. Kane is a good shout as they have Slovenia, Denmark, and Serbia but again, the odds were low and England has a lot of threats (Bellingham, Saka, Foden)… Kane will be closely marked and doesn't have the pace of younger forwards.

Looking forward to the Euro's :-)

Pity it's not on Virgin.

Thank fúck it isn't. They are still broadcasting in SD on saorview.

The matches look like they are been livestream through a frosty window using a Nokia 3310.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I watched King Otto last night, a documentary on the manager Otto Rehhagel who brought Greece from absolutely nothing to win Euro 2004, certainly one for the underdogs to watch 😁.

Does anyone know if any newspaper has free Euros wallplanners with them, I like to have a full picture of the action in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

It's like watching sensible soccer being played on a megadrive

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Looks like the Scots are after our "soundest fans in the world" title.

We finished 2nd in 94.

All 4 teams had the same points and goal difference.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

How long before McClean gets into a bit of bother for something he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Jesus it's depressing. I'll stick to ITV & BBC.

Virgins LOI/European coverage is quality. (In fairness RTE LOI coverage isn't total shite)

Player plus 6 final group games on RTÉ Player & RTÉ News channel. Peter Collins, Joanne Cantwell, Tony O’Donoghue and Jacqui Hurley will present all the action and will be joined in studio by an all-star line-up of panellists.

RTÉ Sport’s coverage will feature personalities well-known to Irish audiences, including our own Euro heroes – Shay Given, Ray Houghton, Ronnie Whelan and Kevin Doyle – plus World Cup Finalist Didi Hamann, along with Stephanie Roche, Stephen Kelly, Lisa Fallon and Richie Sadlier. Making his RTÉ tournament debut is Republic of Ireland centurion James McClean.

All live matches will have RTÉ commentary from a team including Darragh Maloney, Des Curran, George Hamilton, Adrian Eames, John Kenny and Cathal Mullaney with co-commentators Ray Houghton, Ronnie Whelan, Stephen Kelly and Kenny Cunningham.

He'd wanna head back and ask that "Dentist" who did his teeth for his money back first of all

• Advertisement

Nah, fcuk that.

That accent would send you to the loonie bin. Only our Nordie friends beat them to number 1 spot.

Referancing the post supporting Scotland

Advertisement