Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FGs "celebrity" election candidates.

Options
  • 14-06-2024 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭

This has been picked up on by the journalist Gavin Reilly on Virgin Media TV.

Cynthia Ni Mhurchú (FF) - a Eurovision song contest presenter.

Nina Carberry (FG) - A former jockey

Maria Walsh (FG) - A Rose of Tralee winner

Mairead McGuinness (FG) - former RTE presenter.

You could even add in former GAA president Sean Kelly (FG)……

Are FF/FG choosing candidates based on celebrity factor in order just to win seats at the expense of talented, hardworking members of their parties who have given years of service canvassing for votes, knocking on doors etc….?

Are FF/FG concenrned with the quality of candidate they're presenting to the electorate or is it just about "winning" using the celebrity billy barry factor?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Are you claiming these candidates are less hard working and talented* ?

*What exactly requires to a "talented" politician is very much up for debate.

For example you refer to Cynthia Ni Mhurchú as a Eurovision song presenter when in fact she is a legal barrister for the last 26 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Augme

It's about winning, that's what elections are always about. Party faithful and their members know that. In a EU election, given the size of the areas, name recognition is absolutely huge. In reality, very few TDs would pick European over being a TD either unless a well known TD is willing to run a parties options could be limited.

If the electorate aren't concerned about the quality of candidate, why should a political party be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The onus is always on the political party to present the best political candidate to the electorate. Politics should not be the preserve of a class of people who, quite frankly, have done little for the parties they represent or communities they aspire to represent.

FF were also up to this when they sought out the guy who intervened in the Parnell Square stabbings, Caio Benicio - they were literally looking to gain political capital on the back of an awful incident.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The onus is on the electorate to choose who they think is best for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The electorate are a fickle bunch who can be exploited in many ways, celebrity candidates unfortunately is one of them. And it's not just Ireland either, Donald Trump is one of the highest profile examples, and look what a mess that turned out to be.

The parties should do better, those who put celebrity and status over competence when choosing candidates show their contempt for the office and the electorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Mairead McGuinness didn't go up for election as an MEP this time around. She served 2 terms (I think) as an MEP.

It actually isn't. Political parties across Europe seek the best candidates. Notoriously in their best days (not these days) the Conservative Party in the UK would have a shortlist of 500+ candidates for each parliamentary seat with a rigourous interviewing procedure then occurring in each constituency. That's basically the case for mainstream political parties (usually those of government) in most EU countries (esp Germany) also.

In the end the electorate choose what is presented before them for they have no control over who is presented before them. Most/few know the years of donkey work some aspiring candidates do and end up picking "de one off the telly" who joined the party a few months ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

those who put celebrity and status over competence when choosing candidates show their contempt for the office

I agree. Unfortunately those people are the voters who are the ultimate decision makers.

I find it tedious in the extreme how people are so willing to abdicate any responsibility for the state of politics. Politicians do what they do because that is what we have told them we want them to do via our actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The run these candidates for two reasons:

1. Instant name recognition in massive geographical constituencies.
    2. They win.

On point #1, a popular local TD on one side of a constituency that spans half the country might be unknown on the other side of it. Notice how all those celebrity candidates weren't run in the Dublin constituency.

I'd add Liadh Ni Riada to the list as well. SF ran her in 2014 in Ireland South. It was her first ever election for anything and she was best known for who her father was.

They also show contempt for members of their own party when someone is parachuted in with no political experience and they only thing they've got going for them is that they were on a dance show on RTE a few years back.

FF/FG have a responsibility to put serious candidates in front of the electorate. it is also noteworthy that this choosing-the-celebrity culture occurs mainly for European elections and tends to happen less for Dáil elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wasn't the Ukrainian president a big actor before he took office?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Comedian, actor, film and TV producer.

Roland Regan was also an actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Well Trump is the ultimate Celeb politician

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

putting. N Carberry up was a very novel choice that worked out for FG. So it must have done its homework. The only thing that she , APPARENTLY’ has going for her is her skill as a jockey and also ‘dancing with the stars’. She was quite a successful rider IN A MANS ‘ WORLD. She had to negotiate that field - both on and off it. She also had to ‘deal with ‘other jockeys’ at various levels and on various issues along with dealing with stable yards, owners and trainers’,. She also had to manage her financial affairs, negotiating income payments, investing savings, etc. and because of the business she was in she had to be well organised re scheduling planes, transport , rides, accommodation, eating regime, etc,etc.

Overall’ she had to be VERY DISCIPLINED in order to get to where she got.

A lot of the above experiences are VERY transferable to her current position - dealing with MEN, negotiating, constantly travelling, ability to fully engage in issue at hand, very disciplined.

So , I would definately write her off at this point in time. I would give her 4 years + to show her METAL. The bar is low anyway when you consider some of the MEPs’ we have elected back the years

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Same as Farage. Although it's interesting that none of our celeb politicians come from parties of the left.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mullooly is a celeb, but on his own ticket.

Just because a candidate is well known does not necessarily detract from their abilities. A good politician can read the room, and has the ability (?) to blow through the small stuff - at least they should be able to avoid the BS. A person who interacts with many many people from all walks of life may well hone those abilities. Nina Carberry should at least have a quantity of horse sense.

However, there are few politicians anywhere worldwide who are paragons - most just look in the mirror to justify their views and actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Serious question about Carberry. A lot of jockeys leave school before their leaving cert. To go work in yards and to train to become jockeys.

Did Nina Carberry finish school. As in did she do her leaving cert. No disrespect to her if she didn't. But I did get visited by canvassers who claimed she didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I dont know what passing youre Leaving Cert has to do with anything.I know lads in management who left school at 15 yrs old and earn a 6 figure salary.I would say that the fact that she's been very successful in her 1st job,plus the points made by Field East above gave the public the confidence to vote her in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Nina Carberry was a lady in a man's sport - that takes guts. Mind you, being a jockey takes guts as well.

You need to have guts to be a politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I think there are more requirements to be a good politician than "having guts"

Tommy Robinson had guts to go out and be openly racist and have your family and friends and everyone else connected to you now associated with a despicable human being. Having guts does not mean you are any good at any thing, just that you stuck out and did something different.

Being a female jockey does not automatically mean you have the skills to be a good policitian, a negotiator for Ireland at the European stage, someone able to weave through the massive bureaucracy that is EU parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭StormForce13

There's not much point being the best "good politician" on the planet if you're unable to get Johnny Sixpack and Julie Poutylips to vote for you!

First you get elected, then your voters have an opportunity to see whether or not you deliver; and then - and only then - can the electorate decide whether or not you're worth re-electing.

But, taking it even further, when Joe Higgins got elected to Europe his nominated replacement was Smirker Murphy who very few people had ever heard of, and yet he became an unelected MEP when Joe won a Dáil seat. I had voted for Joe but was distinctly unimpressed when his unknown teaboy became an MEP. (That's why I didn't risk voting for Mick McNamara last Friday as his nominated substitute is Mattie McGrath's daughter.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The left tend to turn their politicians into minor celebrities, the centre is a bit of both and the right seems to be "weird hair" celebrities/politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I thought the Left loved Assange? (That's who's in the first picture isn't it?)

Larry Goodman , Pierce Doherty , Simon Harris , et al come to mind

What is your point? Simon Harris finished school. I am pretty sure Doherty did as well. I have no clue what have added Larry Goodmans name to the list. Do you think Goodman was a public servant or benifical to Irish society?

Assange like Snowden is probably more of a libetarian figure then a left figure. A large cohort of the left hate Assange.

EDIT: I am also pretty sure that is not Assange in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

he is the ‘spitting image ‘of that ultra right leader in the Netherlands - could be even his twin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement