Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

Yeah, I hadn't heard much of him until the stories around November of Wales trying to poach him. He's very quick and a really good carrier. Wouldn't be shocked to see him feature for the Boks against us given Wiese's suspension.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think anyone is suggesting he has been released, just that he might question his future at the province. If an offer came to go elsewhere I'd be surprised if he didn't at least consider it. Though I'd imagine he will still be with Leinster next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

How many front liners are the Bulls missing?

Canan Moodie and Kurt-Lee Arendse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Crowley is a full 3 years older than prendergast.

For some perspective. If Sam plays this weekend he will have played more games for Leinster this season, his first year out of u20, than Crowley played for Munster in his first 2 years out of under 20's. At the same point of Crowleys development he had 3 munster caps ff the bench where Sam has 16 caps already with 4 or 5 starts and 3 games in Europe.

And that is in a squad with more competition for game time at 10 than Crowley would have come into.

IMHO barring injury Sam will be Leinster starter by the time he turns 21 and as a result Irelands number 2.

• Advertisement

He's already 21…
    I wouldn't rule out him being LEinster starter before he turns 22 though. Let's see

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Sorry yes. I mean meant 22 and 3 years younger than Crawley

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I still think we saw that bit of dog, particularly defensively, from Crowley from pretty early in his career that we haven't yet seen from Prendergast yet. Plenty of time for him to develop it, mind.

I actually think it's one of those things you don't really develop - or I can't think of many examples of players who have developed it. To me it's something that's either inherently in you or it isn't.

I don't think Prendergast is as combative as Crowley but I have been encouraged by his leadership and willingness to take command of things.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't really agree with that. It was noticeable how involved Prendergast was getting in his last few appearances, even to the point of hilariously attempting to ruck out a hooker at one point.

His technique in the tackle is still shocking though, but I wouldn't question the attitude.

https://ulster.rugby/content/ulster-rugby-academy-202425

Jack Murphy, Sam Berman and Wilhelm De Klerk joining Ulster confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Did Leinster offer contracts to Berman and De Klerk?

Surprised we're letting two seemingly talented centres just leave. De Klerk especially looked good for the u20's. Great passing range.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets)

15. Jimmy O’Brien (81)
    14. Jordan Larmour (107)
    13. Garry Ringrose (123)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (91)
    11. James Lowe (80)
    10. Ross Byrne (161)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (141)

1. Andrew Porter (121)
    2. Dan Sheehan (63)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (146)
    4. Joe McCarthy (34)
    5. James Ryan (82) CAPTAIN
    6. Ryan Baird (70)
    7. Josh van der Flier (141)
    8. Caelan Doris (81)

Replacements:

16. Rónan Kelleher (64)
    17. Cian Healy (278)
    18. Michael Ala’alatoa (71)
    19. Ross Molony (183)
    20. Jack Conan (147)
    21. Luke McGrath (211)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (88)
    23. Jamie Osborne (46)

Nope, Berman did two years sub academy no offer. De Klerk did one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Relative gamble there with Ringrose on paper. But he's obviously fit and well able for it.

Line-up othe wise as expected but I would have liked if Conan came in instead of Baird (with Doris to 6).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Great seeing Ringrose in the team. Seems we really did just hold him back from playing against Ulster.

That's a really strong 23 overall. Thought we may have gone 6-2, but I guess there's probably still some concerns over Ringrose.

Great to see Ringrose back.

Pretty much full strength with the very notable exception of one of the best players in the world, Hugo Keenan.

Good positional versatility and coverage on the bench with Osborne and Frawley - can basically cover the entire backline comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Bulls have lost a very impressive once at home this season in all comps and only 3 times in 2 seasons at home in all comps.

Their sole defeat of this season came against Munster on 20th April in an impressive showing with both teams fully locked and loaded. But it took a Goosen red card on 50 and a 73rd minute score for Munster to win it.

Nobody beats the Bulls by much at home. Indeed the 3 games they've lost on home soil over the last 2 seasons have been by a combined points total of 13 points….

Pretoria is a fortress. Altitude is a great leveller and they are a hard nosed team that are tough to break down.

Their home scalps include Saracens, Exeter, Bordeaux.

Should we win it will likely be ugly, it will be close, it will be nerve wracking and it will be a game befitting of knock out rugby. If someone is expecting us to be out of sight by half time and then rants (should we win) that we didn't win by more will need their heads checked. It does not happen in this stadium. Every Leinster player can have one of their best games (something that physically can't happen at altitude) and we will could only beat them by a score.

Having said that. Bennetton should be looking back wondering how they lost that. They had them on the ropes and a very harsh 14 point swing from a disallowed try was a killer. They made the Bulls look very ordinary at times.

But the Bulls can take a lot from how deep they dug in and how tough they made it. They wont fear anyone coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Great to see Ringrose back, can't see him lasting 80 minutes but Frawley and Osborne on the bench means he shouldn't have to.

For anyone who's watching these things, the handicap was Leinster as 4 point favourites but is now 6 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭johnh6767

great 23 this will be MASSIVE , selection is on the money , great bench strength & depth

Do not care for Frawley covering 10 and no idea why we would have him doing it in a 5-3 bench though I guess Ringrose' fitness plays a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭PMC83

Stormers promoting Bulls on their social medias sites. The Sa teams deffo paint a them versus everyone else picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thePigeon_

And (internationally at least) it really works!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭crisco10

If Jack Crowley were injured, and Hugo unavailable, it wouldn't be unreasonable to see that team be Irelands starting XV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thePigeon_

I hate the narratives going around that "if leinster lose it means xyz", but I'm going to completely contradict myself and throw one out now.

Altitude is obviously a huge factor but that's a Leinster team stacked full of current Irish internationals. As much as Crowley, POM and Beirne add, if Leinster can't beat this Bulls team then Ireland are really f**ked when they have to play South Africa in Loftus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think our best 2nd row Tadhg Beirne might have something to say about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭PMC83

If Leinster win then the narrative will be an international side beat a club team. If they lose then a club team has beaten an international side. TBH there's always someone waiting to take a cut off us these days no matter what happens. I hope we go out an absolutely smash the Bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Yes but if you can't see any merit or argument as to starting James Ryan and Joe McCarthy in the second row I don't know what to tell you.

All 3 are fantastic second rows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭crisco10

Fair - but the step down to Ryan and McCarthy isnt massive, so it would be reasonable to see a bit of rotation here or there.

Where as the stepdown from Crowley to Byrne, in my view, would need to be injury enforced.

Advertisement