Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really safe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭yagan

I'll make it easier, name an EU city that's cheaper for a young Irish person to live and study in.

I'll give you help, eunicas.ie

Even Denmark offers bursaries if you work part time. You'd actually get a degree and be in profit in many instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Generally speaking Switzerland is a very safe country. I worked in Zurich for over 30 years and for the first 25 or so I never thought twice about where I walked at night. But the last five or so were a different thing there were and are places I would not go and hotels we would not billet clients in because our security people believed it was "likely or highly likely" they'd be the victims of crime.

I don't believe Dublin is any worse than most mainland European cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

its not so much Dublin is worse or better then say Port Au Prince in Haiti but it could be so much better then it is,Ive said it before,How about making Dublin the BEST,SAFEST city in Europe?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I head in to that area the odd Saturday along with thens of thousands of others. I usually hit the book shop, maybe Banba with the kids, the butchers for some cheap cuts you can't get elsewhere, Asian market for the weeks cooking, maybe M&S food hall for some goodies, Arnotts, etc… then off to one of the amazing Asian cheap restaurants in the area if I haven't gone to Brother Hubbards already. Capel street is just brilliant.

I was in last Saturday & the GAA fans bursting out of their jerseys, skipping all the really good eateries and heading straight to McDonalds and Supermacs before heading home straight after the match. You really don't know what you're missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Quitelife

many parts of Ireland are way more lawless than they used to be , they may not be the worst in the world but they are far unsafer than they used to be .
    We have less guards and prison space than we need allowing a lot of bad eggs to get away with lots of crime to the detriment of law abiding people

I used to live and work north inner city, and match were the safest days just by shear numbers. The pandemic left no hiding spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Just read this Article about a firearm seized in Finglas (found in some bushes, no one arrested.)

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/investigation-after-gardai-seize-firearm-in-dublin-1637417.html

The firearm type is what caught my eye.

Is that an AR-15 (or similar?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

"Every other European city is just as bad".

I don't like this line of reasoning either. Why should we accept mediocrity?

If it was a ghost gun without a serial number then someone could me making them here. There a enthusiast caught in Britain with a workable version that he made following downloaded plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Here’s some interesting up-to-date stats. According to this Kharkiv in Ukraine is safer than Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Mental
    A soldier I used to work with told me that making a fire arm isn't as hard as people think. It's just metal and few springs.

Obviously the best ones will be machined well, but crude designs are possible.

Do you think that's 5.56 ammo?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

For the love of...

People in this thread are fcuking touched. Yes, Dublin has its skeevy areas, as do all cities, but some of the comparisons here are actually hilarious. Some of you seem to think you're talking about Juarez or similar.

I've lived in Dublin my entire life, bar a 7-year interval in a mid-sized commuter town. Probably saw more trouble there in that period than I've ever seen in Dublin. By pretty much every global standard going, Dublin - and every city in Ireland - is incredibly safe. Employ a modicum of cop-on and you're almost guaranteed to be grand. I (female, alone) walked from Abbey St to the top of O'Connell St at about midnight on Saturday night, felt perfectly safe. Commute by bus regularly around there. Yes, there are a lot of "characters" about but have I ever felt unsafe? No. My resting bitchface probably helps, but who knows?

We hear *so * much more about incidents in the (any) city centre these days simply because of social media and the 24-hour, almost real-time news cycle. Perception and optics are almost impossible to counter, but Dublin and Ireland are incredibly safe places by any objective measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

That slashing attack on the tourist is horrific. Hope he recovers. A few years back another local psycho attacked guests in the tourist hostel nearby. Despite being surrounded by apartments, Smithfield square is desolate at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

They are not used as deflection, they are used as a way of showing how stupid a small minority of people living outside Dublin are. Most of Dublin is very safe. Some areas like Dublin 1 have big issues with minor crime but that doesn't make the whole County unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Sadly never going to happen. In Ireland the courts care more about the poor criminals rather than victims of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

But it isn't foreigners who cause the vast majority of problems in the city centre and never has been, as much as you'd like that to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This. I live in North Strand now and my partner often walks home from St James after a shift and neither her nor I have ever mentioned feeling threatened in the city centre, both born and bred here.

You have the usual Irish people not from Dublin that despise the place and love making it out like it's Escape from New York and then other idiots nowadays blaming foreigners when most of us who actually live here are just getting on with our lives and enjoying the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I had a close call with a Russian drone whilst walking down Talbot St last week so I'd well believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's a website for keyboard warriors, losers and fools, it even says "These data are based on perceptions of visitors of this website" so you have the usual cohort of anti-Dublin whiners quivering in their parents bungalow in the midlands that are bitter because they failed to make it and had to move home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Was walking down Henry street yesterday saw a woman with a microphone and a load of tourists (about 20 of them sounded American as i was walking past).

Two junkies were already hassling them for money as i was walking past. about 20 meters up the road there were another two pointing at them, scoping out their next victims i suppose. And another 50 meters up the road there was a full on fight with about 6 young lads kicking the crap out of each other.

I dont know if the tour group turned around after the first lot, but I hope they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

Dublin is a strange city in that most of its worst parts and inhabitants surround the central tourist area.

Now, I've never had anything happen to me directly tbh and mostly what I would see is junkies/scumbags fighting amongst themselves but it's a rare occasion I'd be in the city centre and not see a fairly unsavoury incident.

On a fair comparison: I wouldn't walk through Gorlitzer Park at 3am any more than I would through Darndale, but in central built up areas of say Berlin, I feel much more at ease, even in the early hours of the morning than similar in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I visit Switzerland at least once a year and coming back to my hotel on the tram at gone midnight, usually with a jar or two onboard and I have never once felt unsafe.

Yet on the 5.25 to Limerick the other night I and some other passengers were accosted - anyone eating or drinking were called all manner of bad names if they didn't share! One lad gave him his pizza slice to shut him up!

Totally agree with the comment earlier about common sense - one of the positives of a post-Covid world is hardly anyone carries cash, I never do. Harder to open the pocket if there's nothing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

This is a fair comment.

A lot of people's negative perceptions of Dublin stem from the OConnell St/North inner city area. Which is certainly one of the poorest areas of the entire city.

It is odd that this part of the city centre has been allowed to rot for so long and there is never any major plan to invest in mixed housing developments/regeneration projects.

That said, Dublin is a big place and there is simply no reason to go to that part of the city centre if you dont want to.

Contrast the north inner city with south coastal Dublin; and its a different world. The south coastal parts of the city are far and away the nicest areas in the country.

Dublin has the best and worst areas in Ireland. Its easy to avoid the worst areas & if you do, Dublin is a fantastic place to live.

This is exactly the deflection or denial I was talking about. People don't make the trip to Dublin to see the nice leafy parts, they go west and elsewhere for the scenery.

You should be able to visit your capital city and your national institutions without having to be weary of the 24/7/365 junky Jamboree that is the centre.

It's not worth the hassle, and I have plenty of Dublin friends who left there for such reasons.

I agree with you that more should be done about the problems in the north city centre.

My point was about people living in Dublin and how it is a different city entirely if you live in the nice areas.

I wouldnt live anywhere else in Ireland personally, but I never spend anytime in the north inner city, so my perception of Dublin is very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭SharkMX

You are right, the difference is stark.

I live in Dublin. I work in North inner city Dublin, so have to go there quite often. I hate walking around the place. I cant believe that any tourist goes home not advising people not to visit it.

Yes, its very bizzare that the govt have never cleaned up the north inner city; dispered the treatment centres, built new homes to purchase etc and replicated what works so well around Grafton St on the south side.

All cities have dodgy areas of course, but Dublin is the only place i can think of where they plonk a dodgy area right in the city centre.

Thankfully the southside of the city centre around Grafton St is much better and is generally very nice. Thats the only area I personally would take visitors, if they wanted to visit the city centre.

Dublin has everything you need outside of the city centre though, so no real reason to head over the canals. Plenty of great bars, restaurants, Shops, parks, theatres and cinemas etc away from the city centre and in parts of the city that are nice, safe places to be.

That said, it is a shame that the north city centre is not what it should be; considering Irelands wealth, which is massivley Dublin funded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

There's been loads of regeneration plans.

It's working but slowly.

Advertisement