Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What you are saying in all but name is div1 plus div 2 and a few wildcards. In all honesty the league has been my favourite competition for years now. A proper competition. As for the AI ok the odd group game might get my interest as a neutral. Louth v Meath for example. But really I am waiting for the business end of the championship where it is some teams last chance to qualify for knockout. Or it is the knockout stages.
    What I would like to see is a comparison in the amount of revenue brought in those knocked out of provincial only had one second chance. Versus the current format.

If the revenue is similar and the players like it leave it be. If not make the league the no1 competition with home/away fixtures like the way most sports do it worldwide. A GAA compromise would be a seeded quarter finals mix of all the divisions top two.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I don't agree with this - the provincials have a fundamental role in this phase, determining the seeding for the groups in the main (I know the league plays a part too.)

Either way, too much chatter about structures, including in this thread IMHO. There are threads about structures and calanders and split seasons up wazoo, it would be nice to have one thread that's just about who's playing who and how the games are won or lost.

Just one fvckin thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

If the championship had proper jeopardy, format discussions can be stopped. The majority are happy with the league.

It'll be interesting to see if Westmeath can pull off a shock. Roscommon will be favourites but Cavan should be ready. Hard to see Meath getting a positive result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Last round of group games are all interesting with something riding on all of them and that's what was wanted by HQ I'm sure when this format was brought into place. One criticism I have is all round 3 games should be streamed/Televised instead of just five of them.

Donegal v Clare - Donegal need to win to top the group and avoid the play off round. Clare need to win to stay in the championship

Tyrone v Cork - Tyrone could top the group or finish 2nd. Cork 1st or 3rd in the group

Roscommon v Cavan - both fighting to stay in the championship and draw will put Roscommon through

Derry v Westmeath - both fighting to stay in the championship and draw will put Westmeath through

Galway v Armagh - winner finishes top and straight into the last 8. Draw will do Armagh also

Kerry v Louth - Louth need to win to top the table, win or draw will do Kerry

Monaghan v Meath - Must win for Meath to stay in the championship. A draw enough for Monaghan

Dublin v Mayo - winner finishes top and straight into the last 8. Draw will do Dublin draw also

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Westernview

Some good games ahead hopefully. Colm Boyle said he'd like to see a game on a Friday evening as well. I agree as it's a pity to have so many on at the one time when putting one on Friday would be extra promotion for the game. Maybe they all need to be the same day for final round but could have been done in earlier rounds.

• Advertisement

At the end of the group stage, the first placed teams could be ranked 1 to 4, the second placed teams ranked 5 to 8, the third placed teams ranked 9 to 12 and the fourth placed teams ranked 13 to 16.

After the All-Ireland quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, the top 8 can be re-ranked 1 to 8 firstly based on winner, runner-up, semi-finalists and quarter-finalists, and then based on the group stage ranking.

The top 11 counties and Tailteann winner can qualify for the next All-Ireland. That would leave 4 places for provincial winners in the next year. 12 to 15 can be on standby for a wildcard qualification in that order, if the top 11 win their provincial title.

The next year's All-Ireland then would have provincial winners as Seed 1. The other 12 can be seeded 2 to 4 based on their previous year's championship ranking. Only the top 2 should qualify from the groups. To try and avoid dead rubbers, the following schedule should be applied:

Round 1: 1 v 3, 2 v 4

Round 2: 1 v 2, 3 v 4

Round 3: 2 v 3, 4 v 1

For avoiding dead rubbers, you are trying to avoid two teams on two wins playing in the final round. With 2 and 3 playing away to 1 in the first two rounds, it should have a higher probability of being avoided.

With 4th placed teams being ranked 13 to 16, even if they are knocked out after Round 2, they would still want to try and get a higher ranking. The team finishing 16th is going to be replaced by the Tailteann winner at a minimum.

Provincial winners should have the reward of one extra home game. The other three counties in the group could have a random draw to determine who gets a second home game.

This weekend might be the final run out for the group stages. Reports that the double elimination format is likely to be voted in later in the year. Essentially the second round will consist of a winners and losers round. Those who lose twice will be out.

Westmeath, Derry, Roscommon and Monaghan go in search of a championship win at the fourth attempt. Derry, Roscommon and Monaghan should make the most of the opportunity. Neither of three would be entirely dismissed from getting through to the quarter-finals either.

That's the one. Seems a sensible approach. The wrinkles to iron out will be will provincial winners be drawn against Seed 4? They might have to have a separate draw for home advantage. It could be a bit severe to force Seed 4s to travel to provincial champions, unless bad luck of the draw determines otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't see how the provincial champion v 4th seed would give rise to any particular issue.

It may not happen and it would be no more of a mismatch than the mismatch that is guaranteed to happen four times in the current system where Seed 1 in each group plays Seed 4.

• Advertisement

No problem with this proposal, but the provincial winners must lose their seedlings.

Munster and Leinster are dead ducks, and it's unfair giving the winners an advantage by a seed in the draw. If they want to keep the provinces, fair enough, but you can't reward the winners in the AI championship.

But there is a possibility the Munster and Leinster winners play each other in Round 2, after winning their first round games.

The winner would get to the quarter finals the loser to the elimination round.

You will know the intrancies of it better than me, buy there should be no benefit from winning a province once it's done apart from holding a shiny cup.

If the draw is open, they could meet each other in R1.

Is there an argument that the reward for winning the provincial championship is that they would take on Seed 4 opponents? Otherwise where is the reward in winning?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

All the permutations in Round 3. Counties finishing third in their group can take hope from last year. Three of the four third placers won their Preliminary QF's. Which should remind the second placers of the jeopardy involved in not winning their groups.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0613/1454591-football-permutations-final-round-of-group-phase/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i can see a very small crowd in breffni park sunday, very few people i have been talking to are going , im not 100% sure ill go myself yet even though i have the ticket. id say if 1000 fans from meath turn up it will be the height of it, id ecpect monaghon to bring around 3,000. either way around 4,000 will be it id say. 20 years ago it would be close to full house for that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I didn't study the new proposal. But if winner takes all ties like Monaghan v Meath can't attract a crowd at present, then they would not attract a crowd under any format.

There IMHO should be no reward. This is suggesting that by getting to a provincial final, you are seeded and in all liklihood will avoid Kerry, Dublin, Ulster and Connacht winners. It's already reward enough. Draw a short corner of a draw eg Longford and Carlow in Leinster, or Waterford and Limerick in munster, and sneak into a final, even Leitrim and Sligo can get to connacht at times by playing each other.

The provincial win should be reward enough and then park it. If the provinces are not prestigious enough to stand alone, then disband them. I know there is realpolotik stuff going on here as well, but it's bull having any seedings based on these now irrelevant competitions.

I agree with the second paragragh it can be summed up in one GAA word "tradition". It will go eventually. Hopefully I will be alive to see it, would it happen in 30 years?

But even Marty Morrissey when commenting on the live provincial draw, cannot muster any sincerity where he calls most provincial games an "intriguing tie".

But under the current format both Monaghan and Meath had to play two group games to get to this winner takes all game.

Under the proposed change they could meet in a winner takes all/loser goes home game in their second game rather than their third.

Which in my opinion is a better situation straight away.

Here is a hypothetical of what 2023 might have looked like with this system.

Pot A

Galway, Kerry, Dublin, Derry, Sligo, Clare, Louth, Armagh.

Pot B.

Mayo, Roscommon, Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal, Cork, Kildare, Westmeath.

Round 1

Galway v Tyrone (Galway)

Kerry v Mayo (Mayo)

Louth v Cork (Cork)

Sligo v Kildare (Kildare)

Armagh v Westmeath (Armagh)

Dublin v Roscommon (Dublin)

Derry v Monaghan (Derry)

Donegal v Clare (Donegal)

Round 2 A (Winners v Winners)

Galway v Mayo (Mayo)

Cork v Kildare (Cork)

Dublin v Armagh (Dublin)

Derry v Donegal (Donegal)

Round 2 B (Losers v Losers)

Tyrone v Kerry (Kerry)

Louth v Sligo (Louth)

Westmeath v Roscommon (Roscommon)

Monaghan v Clare (Monaghan)

Round 3 (2A Losers v 2B Winners)

Galway v Kerry (Kerry)

Kildare v Louth (Louth)

Armagh v Monaghan (Armagh)

Derry v Roscommon (Derry)

Quarter finalists

From Round 2 A

Mayo

Cork

Dublin

Donegal

From Round 3

Kerry

Louth

Armagh

Derry

So you have to win at least two games to get to the quarter finals but you can afford to lose one on the way.

What I like about it all is that the GAA are taking notice and reacting to what is turning out to be a poor format.

And that they are seeing from a revenue standpoint that less could be more.

• Advertisement

Seed 1: Galway, Kerry, Dublin, Derry

Seed 2: Sligo, Clare, Louth, Armagh.

Seed 3: Mayo, Roscommon, Tyrone, Monaghan

Seed 4: Donegal, Cork, Kildare, Westmeath.

ROUND 1

SEEDS 1 v 4

Kerry v Cork, Kerry win

Galway v Westmeath, Galway win

Dublin v Kildare, Dublin win

Derry v Donegal, Derry win

SEEDS 2 v 3

Louth v Mayo, Mayo win

Sligo v Roscommon, Roscommon win

Clare v Monaghan, Monaghan win

Armagh v Tyrone, Armagh win

ROUND 2A WINNERS v WINNERS

SEEDS 1 OR 4 V SEEDS 2 OR 3

Kerry v Mayo, Mayo won

Galway v Armagh, Armagh won

Dublin v Roscommon, Dublin win after extra time!

Derry v Monaghan, Derry win after extra time!

ROUND 2B LOSERS v LOSERS

SEEDS 1 OR 4 V SEEDS 2 OR 3

Louth v Cork, Cork won

Sligo v Kildare, Kildare win after extra time!

Clare v Donegal, Donegal win

Westmeath v Tyrone, Tyrone win

ROUND 3 2A LOSERS v 2B WINNERS

Kerry v Tyrone, Kerry win

Galway v Cork, Cork surprisingly win!

Roscommon v Kildare, Kildare win

Monaghan v Tyrone, Monaghan win

QUARTER-FINALS ROUND 2A WINNERS V ROUND 3 WINNERS

Mayo v Kildare

Armagh v Monaghan

Dublin v Kerry!!

Derry v Cork

Post edited by legendary.xix on

Donegal v Clare, Castlebar, 3pm

Tyrone v Cork, Tullamore, 3pm

The group 3 finale is first up today. A loss by Cork will probably see them third despite two good opening rounds. Cork kept Clare in the championship by beating Donegal but Donegal should seal their knockout place today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Brian Hurley a big doubt which would be a major loss for Cork.

Don't seed anything other than having the provincial finalists in one pot and the others in another for Round 1

I know people will argue why the provincial finalists should get such "protection" but the reality is that half the provincial championships are still competitive and overall they are not something that can be easily dismissed, as much and all as people who love to dismiss them.

The group stages as currently constructed are not working, it's worth tweaking them like this proposal is, rather than blowing up the whole thing just yet.

The GAA are not alone in regional representation. UEFA have regional representation. FIFA have regional representation. Rugby has regional representation.

All provinces are guaranteed two places. 4 of the 7 league qualifiers this year are from Ulster. The league qualification is doing what it is designed for.

Provincial championships could be improved by using a fair seeding for balanced draws. With provincial championships realistically remaining connected to the All-Ireland, there has to be some reward for winning. Provincial winners versus Seed 4s and provincial runners-up versus the Seed 3s seems the most logical under the existing structure.

He'll be a major loss alright. Tyrone need a good result. Only a win over Clare wouldn't be inspiring confidence before the knockouts.

Saying half of the provincial's are competitive is a bit of a stretch.

At worst it is 25%, with Connacht is ambivalent. Do Galway and Mayo really care about the final result? It is not even a means to an end to the bigger prize anymore - Sam.

It is only Roscommon/Sligo that get REALLY excited about winning Connacht, this normally happens where Mayo/Galway are drawn against each other early on. Would most Galway/Mayo fans be able to tell you how many Connacht titles each as won?

It is is a long way from the times Galway people worried that -

"Do you think Galway bate Mayo?"

"Do you think Galway bate Mayo?"

"Do you think Galway bate Mayo?

"Not if they have Willie Joe"

"They haven't a hope of bating Mayo"

It meant something back then, knockout no second chances.

Leinster and Munster dead ducks with Munster being even worse than Leinster when Cork dip in anyway, as it is basically a hurling province. Cork are a potential sleeping giant but sleep mostly. Leinster has a lot of sides, much more than any other province most of them poor. And a few larger teams who are not just sleeping, but who are in a coma waiting for someone to switch off the life support.

Ulster the crown jewel of provinces is competitive yes, but all the teams play in similar styles with little or no variation which can be turgid and put off neutrals. I think that nature of the way Ulster teams play has forced them to go the same route, when playing each other.

It always amuses me for such a nationalist organisation that the GAA is still so wedded to counties and county boundaries that were created by the British.

If the GAA really wanted to they could create their own "provinces" geographically or even their own counties. But I know there would not be an appetite for that among weaker counties so we are left with the current situation.

As for Sunday's match between Dublin and Mayo will mean something to both sets of supporters. In the sense that both are top tier teams and it will give a strong indicator where both teams are "at". As their respective provinces do not indicate much to either side.

Dublin will want to send out a message and not let Mayo get "notions". Mayo will want to put on a decent show to prove they are worthy of their lofty aspirations.

The neutrals might see it as a glorified glamour challenge match. But I bet there will be plenty keeping half an eye on it.

I am looking forward to the Armagh v Galway game as well as there should be a bit of needle in it. Both teams well met.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Tyrone beat Cork 1-18 to 0-17.

Donegal hammer Clare 2-23 to 0-4.

Donegal straight into the QF.

Tyrone at home to a third placed team.

Cork away to a second placed team.

Cork the lucky third placed team. Having knocked Mayo to third last year, it was their turn this year. They'll probably want to draw second from group 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Some win for Donegal. Clare only managed a solitary point in first half. Desperate stuff by them but Donegal definately in the shake up for the All Ireland.

Good win for Tyrone, also. Tough road ahead now for Cork.

Advertisement