Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

35k value car to trade in against a 40k car - best way

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Water2626262

The prices at that garage are insane. Look up a bmw of any year and sort by highest price and it’ll be all results for that garage.

Very curious how they sell cars. Do they offer higher trade in prices because it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

All dealers take the absolute piss with higher end cars. Not just the reserve of the Beemer crowd.

I have posted about the clusterfcuk I had here with Audi North Dublin here before, one of the last times I went in around October 2022 they asked me if I wanted to sell. I don't, but was interested in the offer, so said fire away. Before I left I had a look around at what they had on offer in the showroom and took a few notes. Mine is a 151 A6 S-Line Ultra Black Edition with 70k kilometres on her.

When I came back for the car he offered 15k, with a small jump to 16k if everything was okay after an inspection on trade-in. I burst out laughing. Knew it would be low but genuinely couldn't believe he was saying it to me with a straight face. I asked if he had anything similar that I might be interested in. Cheapest A6 was 35k. I pointed it out to him and he said "well we have to make a few bob ourselves", I told him I understood that, but them making more on the car then I would was taking the piss.

I asked him if he had any black edition models in and he showed me a 151 A4 with 140k on the clock. Asking price was 39k. "So mine is the same age, but two models higher in the food chain with half the mileage and you want me to part with it for the price of a micra?…….sure you'll sell this for probably 45k+, if you offer me 30k now I'll take it"

You've never heard a silence like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I think here you'll find the best course of action is to keep the BMW, it's absolutely not worth it for the price you'll pay

Dealerships have big overheads, wages, preparation and warranty costs and profits to add on to what they offer you for your BMW. It's nearly always far less than an average consumer initially expects.

If you want cheapest cost to change, sell privately and buy privately and you cut out all associated costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭kifi

totally agree with the above comment

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That dealer could ask 50k for that car, doesn't mean he will get it. That's the point that seems to be eluding you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Sono

they’re a joke, everything totally overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Sono

It’s the way things are going that this is the best approach unfortunately, garages taking the piss with low ball offers, they don’t want the stock but if you’re desperate enough and don’t want the hassle of private sale then the customer will more than likely just do the trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GPoint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭User1998

Forget about the prices that BMW main dealers are asking. I’ve sent you a car that is identical to yours for €25k, and there are plenty of other examples out there for similar money. And these are just asking prices. Actual selling prices may be lower. Not to mention the fact that hundreds of 330e’s are being imported by the boat load pushing the prices down even further each month.

My guess is that you must have bought this car last year from a BMW main dealer if you paid €38k for it? I’m sorry to tell you but your going to loose close to half that if you try to trade it in. And I promise you won’t get much more for it privately. No one has €20k upfront these days with no trade in and wants to buy private.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭goochy

€38K seems alot to have paid a year ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Buying a used car this time last year, is somewhat like buying a house in late 2007…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yet the internet crackheads will have you believe that only EV’s are depreciating at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Goose81

No it wasn't that bad, I bought 2018 530 with 40KM for 34k at the same time this guy paid 38k for 2019 320 with probably north of 140Km on it if it has 160 now. He just got ridden by a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭JVince

Moving from BMW to a Camry?

Have you aged 20 years in the last 12 months.

I'm sure Camry's are nice, but they are utterly boring.

I'd go for a Volvo S90 if looking for a saloon type car in that segment.

instead of Camry, the RAV4 seems a bit more exciting . Would I lose much on MPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d guess its close to half as fuel efficient

ok so shortlist is Camry, IS300H, maybe a Superb, or possibly a C-Class

Advertisement