Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I still don't agree with this LeClerc is a class above some other drivers including his teammate. The rationale for this tends to be the qualifying gaps and that LeClerc is faster over one lap. Well unless it's Monaco or a washed out Spa, Grand Prix tend to be longer than one lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Whats Benetton got to do with anything?

Fernando started out in a Minardi in 2001 and then went to Renault in 2002 as a test driver before driving for them from 2003 and winning his two WDCs in 2005 and 6.

I also agree that the poster saying Alonso does not have enough experience in top cars must not know about Alonsos early career. Maybe he means in modern F1 top cars. I am sure Alonso would be well able to adapt to and drive any car on the current grid fast.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

And Hamilton has never been a brilliant qualifier. I think we tend to assume the best racers are naturally the fastest over a single lap, but Hamilton's race performance is better than his quali performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭n.d.os

In Russell’s first year with Mercedes, he drove the W12 while Lewis Hamilton focused on addressing the team’s issues. The data I’m referring to primarily comes from journalists who analyze free practice, qualifying, and race day events. Rather than prematurely concluding that Hamilton has lost his edge, they delve into the nuances. While Russell has outqualified Hamilton this season, he still lacks the consistency of the seasoned champion. Russell tends to make more mistakes, becomes overly aggressive after errors, and lets emotions affect his performance on Sundays. In contrast, Hamilton starts reasonably well, manages his tires effectively, and consistently finishes in the same place or higher.

Verstappen’s status as the best driver on the grid is partly due to his long tenure with Red Bull and their top-performing car. This mirrors Lewis’s dominance during his peak years. Piastri, when compared side by side with Leclerc in Monaco qualifying, appears to be the quickest driver currently. If he improves tire management and McLaren’s performance, he could lead the pack. Piastri’s maturity and level-headedness set him apart.

Leclerc excels on Saturdays but struggles on Sundays. Alonso, despite being a great driver, hasn’t had a competitive car in years. His last championship win was in 2012, and sitting in the midfield may hinder his chances of another title. I think the same thing is happening to Lewis at the moment.

I started watching F1 in 1990. Don't play that card. It doesn't make your opinion any more valid.

• Advertisement

Your comment comes across like I’m wrong in my opinions and you coming in later to ‘take it apart’ later adds some sort of validation to what you’re saying. It doesn’t. This is just a web forum. Not Motorsport.com. I think you’ve just picked the three top-performing drivers on the grid at the moment and haven’t considered the car they are driving or how they have performed in lesser cars. Personally, I don’t think Norris should be in that list.

Apologies ndos if i came across like that in my post.

But, for you to say Max loses his head under rpessure is completely way off the mark.

George - He's a liability who we now know makes mistakes when under pressure to make a move/defend

Piastri - He's not a rookie anymore. He has enough experience now that he should be able to challenege Lando week on week. He's not as good as Lando (yet) imo

The most consistent on the Grid is Max, not Lewis. (Look back through the last few years stats)

LeClerc is a superior driver to Sainz, on both a Saturday and a Sunday. IMO of course

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

In Russell’s first year with Mercedes, he drove the W12 while Lewis Hamilton focused on addressing the team’s issues. The data I’m referring to primarily comes from journalists who analyze free practice, qualifying, and race day events. Rather than prematurely concluding that Hamilton has lost his edge, they delve into the nuances. While Russell has outqualified Hamilton this season, he still lacks the consistency of the seasoned champion. Russell tends to make more mistakes, becomes overly aggressive after errors, and lets emotions affect his performance on Sundays. In contrast, Hamilton starts reasonably well, manages his tires effectively, and consistently finishes in the same place or higher.

You honestly think that Mercedes would give testing duties to the 7x WC over the new guy? You really think that? This "data" you are referring to is mainly your opinion and comments from Hamilton, he was fairly open that he was experimenting with his set-up, but that did not reduce him to some sort of tester for the team. That the team would have their top driver doing the testing over the new driver just holds no salt at all, I am afraid.

If you are saying that Russell is lacking consistency, how do you explain how he is beating Hamilton this year then? Does that mean that Hamilton is not as consistent also? You are putting yourself in knots here. If any driver let's emotion creep in, I would have to put that on Hamilton, we have seen that in the past when he posted telemetry in 2011 when he was against Button. Again, if Hamilton starts well, manages his tires and consistently finishes higher etc, how do you explain that Russell is beating him right now, in the same car?

Verstappen’s status as the best driver on the grid is partly due to his long tenure with Red Bull and their top-performing car. This mirrors Lewis’s dominance during his peak years. Piastri, when compared side by side with Leclerc in Monaco qualifying, appears to be the quickest driver currently. If he improves tire management and McLaren’s performance, he could lead the pack. Piastri’s maturity and level-headedness set him apart.

You are not making an ounce of sense here. Verstappen is the best driver on the grid right now, by a bit of a stretch as well. He has not always had a dominant car, but has won. It is nothing to due with how long he is at RB, it is to do with his skills. You might have a bit of an anti-Verstappen bias showing here.

Leclerc, last time I checked, was on pole, and has show his speed over one lap for a few years now. Piastri, while he is very good, is not the same as Leclerc right now. If you are basing it off one lap at one race…you might want to branch out a little bit there. I agree Piastri is on the path to being a good driver, you are (again) making a large leap here by saying he will lead the pack when he isn't even beating his teammate in the same car.

Leclerc excels on Saturdays but struggles on Sundays. Alonso, despite being a great driver, hasn’t had a competitive car in years. His last championship win was in 2012, and sitting in the midfield may hinder his chances of another title. I think the same thing is happening to Lewis at the moment. 

Oh dear…you started watching F1 in 1990 but you think Leclerc struggles on Sunday. Did you watch the Monaco GP at all, any of the sessions? Leclerc was ahead of everyone…I didn't see him struggle there. He also has race wins that stack up very well. Monza 2019 stands out very well when he was being hunted down by Hamilton, he coped very well that day. He also had some impressive wins in 2022, despite him having performance issues at other races. He isn't perfect, but he is probably the No.2 driver on the grid behind Verstappen.

Alonso last won the championship in 2006, his last race win was in 2013 at the Spanish GP. You could have googled that.

I started watching F1 in 1990. Don't play that card. It doesn't make your opinion any more valid.

I am not saying my opinion is more valid, more so that yours doesn't really stack up against some facts or observations on the current trends in F1. You are entitled your opinion of course, I obviously don't agree with most of what you say due to it not really stacking up against what we see in F1.

It’s widely known that Lewis took it upon himself to experiment with different setup changes in an effort to diagnose the issues with the W12. This continued until at least the summer, and eventually, they made progress in addressing the car’s performance toward the end of the year. I think you are picking apart what I’m saying here trying to make out that it is simply an opinion. I don't believe I said he was a tester for the team. I very clearly said that he was busy “addressing the team’s issues.”

Regarding George Russell, he faced credible media criticism after his performance in Canada. Starting from 1st place, he finished 3d, while Lewis, starting from 7th, finished 4rd. Despite George’s talent, Lewis remains more consistent on race days. George tends to push hard under pressure, which sometimes leads to near-collisions. He almost took out Piastri and Lewis in Canada, divebombing both of them. Although George beat Lewis fairly in Canada, Lewis’ consistency on Sundays still sets him apart. It’s worth noting that Toto Wolff’s interest in Verstappen suggests he sees potential in George but recognises Verstappen as a world champion for the team.

I think you are taking a very simplified view of F1 with your opinion on drivers. You're too focused on how they are doing now. Taking a broader view of Formula 1, it’s essential to consider drivers’ past performances and their potential for the future. Verstappen, like Lewis and Alonso, relies heavily on the car’s performance. Telemetry data, race-craft, and season-long performance in various conditions distinguish exceptional drivers. While you may perceive an anti-Verstappen bias, the same argument could apply to your view of Lewis. In 2021, both were closely matched in equal machinery, despite performance fluctuations throughout the season.

Regarding Piastri and Leclerc, Piastri’s cornering speed is well-publicized, while Leclerc excels in braking and on the straights. Norris, like George, lacks the confidence of a championship. Piastri could surpass Norris if McLaren builds the car around him and not Norris, although I know they both like a similar car. Leclerc’s Monaco performance highlights his track knowledge, and I believe he’s currently marginally better than Lewis. However, a side-by-side comparison in new machinery in 2026 will provide further insights.

Lastly, Lewis hasn’t lost his edge. F1 dynamics are complex, and attributing a driver’s form solely to recent performance isn’t accurate. If Red Bull’s performance declined and Verstappen struggled, we wouldn’t hastily conclude he lost form. Lewis, with the right car, will undoubtedly compete for wins again once he builds back up his momentum. Remember, F1 success relies on a delicate balance: 70% car and 30% driver. It may never happen for Lewis again which would be a shame.

Sorry NDOS,

Wrong again on your first point. You said

It’s widely known that Lewis took it upon himself to experiment with different setup changes in an effort to diagnose the issues with the W12

Both drivers based on team instructions and feedback from drivers tried experimenting different set-up etc throughout various weekends. Sometimes it worked on Hamiltons and vice versa.

Can you provide back-up, that it was Lewis and Lewis alone who only took upon himself to eperiment?

Also you said,

Remember, F1 success relies on a delicate balance: 70% car and 30% driver.

Where did you get this stat/fact from?

• Advertisement

James Vowles has openly praised Lewis Hamilton’s talent in an F1 interview. According to Vowles, Hamilton is “the most naturally talented driver” he has worked with, even surpassing Michael Schumacher. Vowles highlighted a crucial shift in Hamilton’s mentality over time. Initially, Hamilton had a “win at all costs” approach, but as he matured, he recognised that consistent podium finishes contribute more to championships than pushing for individual race wins. This strategic mindset allowed Hamilton to focus on improving the car in 2022 and supporting the team during a very challenging season.

It’s well-documented that Lewis extensively tested new parts, ride heights, and car versions before George Russell did that year. It would be silly to suggest that George just sat back but he was new to the team and his input at that point was nothing close to Lewis's.

To be clear here. I don't for one minute doubt Hamiltons ability, or that he will likely win races again.

But both he and Geroge tried different "experiments" throughout the last few seasons. Also, i'd like to see something backing up your 70/30 claim

It’s widely known that Lewis took it upon himself to experiment with different setup changes in an effort to diagnose the issues with the W12. This continued until at least the summer, and eventually, they made progress in addressing the car’s performance toward the end of the year. I think you are picking apart what I’m saying here trying to make out that it is simply an opinion. I don't believe I said he was a tester for the team. I very clearly said that he was busy “addressing the team’s issues.”

So Lewis took it upon himself to do it, that it not the same as you saying he was focusing on the teams issues, like you claimed. Both drivers were addressing the issues, the problems they had plagued both cars. Russell just got more out of the car, and finished 4th in the championship and with the teams only win, while Hamilton was 6th.

Regarding George Russell, he faced credible media criticism after his performance in Canada. Starting from 1st place, he finished 3d, while Lewis, starting from 7th, finished 4rd. Despite George’s talent, Lewis remains more consistent on race days. George tends to push hard under pressure, which sometimes leads to near-collisions. He almost took out Piastri and Lewis in Canada, divebombing both of them. Although George beat Lewis fairly in Canada, Lewis’ consistency on Sundays still sets him apart. It’s worth noting that Toto Wolff’s interest in Verstappen suggests he sees potential in George but recognises Verstappen as a world champion for the team.

He faced no "credible media criticism", do you have any to provide there? Pretty sure he was very open about his performance the minute he got out of the car. He owned his own mistakes in a very tricky race. How does Lewis remain more consistent? Russell is beating him this year in the races, so if Lewis is being consistent, you have to apply that to Russel, no? No clue at all how you can say Hamiltons performances are setting him apart when he is being beaten, what sort of logic is that? I think it is worth noting that Wolffs interest in Verstappen is an attempt at disturbing Red Bull with all that has happened there this year, there was no way at all Verstappen was going to leave the team. If you really believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

I think you are taking a very simplified view of F1 with your opinion on drivers. You're too focused on how they are doing now. Taking a broader view of Formula 1, it’s essential to consider drivers’ past performances and their potential for the future.

I was thinking the same about you pal. Of course I am focused on how they are doing now…that is really all that matters. You seem to want to go back far enough to try and make your point and ignore the current performances of certain drivers. Teams will use the current trends to make decisions, not what happened years ago. Drivers use their past experiences for more money.

Verstappen, like Lewis and Alonso, relies heavily on the car’s performance. Telemetry data, race-craft, and season-long performance in various conditions distinguish exceptional drivers. While you may perceive an anti-Verstappen bias, the same argument could apply to your view of Lewis. In 2021, both were closely matched in equal machinery, despite performance fluctuations throughout the season.

News flash…ALL drivers rely on the cars performance. Where have I said otherwise? You are the one trying to paint Verstappen as having this magical aid, when Lewis had the exact (maybe even more of an advantage) during his dominant years at Mercedes. 2021 was close, but of course it did help that Verstappen was taken out at Silverstone and hindered in Hungry that year to help Lewis close the gap. Besides, we all know how that ended.

Regarding Piastri and Leclerc, Piastri’s cornering speed is well-publicized, while Leclerc excels in braking and on the straights.

What do you even mean Piastri's cornering speed if well-publicised? (you keep making reference to things being well know or in the media…are you sure about that?). How the hell does Lecelrc excel on the straights…what does that even mean? The straights have nothing to do with the drivers skills…at all, that is all down to the car and downforce levels, sweet lord!

Norris, like George, lacks the confidence of a championship. Piastri could surpass Norris if McLaren builds the car around him and not Norris, although I know they both like a similar car. Leclerc’s Monaco performance highlights his track knowledge, and I believe he’s currently marginally better than Lewis. However, a side-by-side comparison in new machinery in 2026 will provide further insights.

What are you on about pal. Neither Norris or Russell have won a championship in F1. What do you mean they l"lack" confidence? They are both race winners, Piastri is not. Why would McLaren build the car around the driver who is currently being beaten by the other? Leclerc win was down to this skill, all the drivers live in Monaco pretty much, so if you are inferring that because he is from there he has some advantage, that is weird take.

Why would we have to wait to 2026 for further insights? They are going to be teammates in 2025.

Lastly, Lewis hasn’t lost his edge. F1 dynamics are complex, and attributing a driver’s form solely to recent performance isn’t accurate. If Red Bull’s performance declined and Verstappen struggled, we wouldn’t hastily conclude he lost form. Lewis, with the right car, will undoubtedly compete for wins again once he builds back up his momentum. Remember, F1 success relies on a delicate balance: 70% car and 30% driver. It may never happen for Lewis again which would be a shame.

This is sounding like someone who thinks they know what they are talking about, making an arse out of themselves. Where does this "delicate" balance come from 70% car, 30% driver, what???

And this "F1 dynamics are complex, and attributing a driver’s form solely to recent performance isn’t accurate". How else will you attribute it then? If you want to go back far enough to make a driver seem like they haven't lost an edge, you can go back to show where they were making a mess of things as well, you can't have it both ways.

Hamilton is winless in the last 3 season, he has made more errors as well, Spa 2022, Singapore 2022, he even said his performance in Canada was one of the worst of his career, but you were focusing in on Russell for that, weren't you? The results and performances in the last 3 years (is that going back too far for you) indicate he is losing something. He was beaten by Russell in 2022, and is currently being beaten by him now.

Take the blinders off.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭thefa

I think there’s more to it than just his qualifying in comparison to Sainz. That’s the low hanging fruit.

I rate Sainz but at the end of the day you can look at the results over the seasons and LeClerc has generally beaten him despite that incorporating spells where Sainz has had the best form of his career and started picking up wins. One of the most impressive things he done was outscoring LeClerc in the first season which might turn out to be the only season he does it at Ferrari.

Now maybe some think this is LeClerc’s peak and there’s no additional potential there. I understand saying he’s not a class above Sainz then. I feel like I’ve seen enough of LeClerc when the Ferrari has been competitive in a race (whether fighting Hamilton in his first Ferrari season or Verstappen in say early 2022 plus more) to think he could have a chance at a world title if things fell into place. I don’t feel the same about Sainz.

If you didn’t know any better, you would think Sainz is ahead of him in the Championship. Sainz is a great racer, but LeClerc consistently beats him in qualifying. So, I suppose that puts LeClerc in a better position on Sundays to take more podiums. I think Ferrari was mad to get rid of him, but I’m obviously happy to see Lewis moving to new pastures as Mercedes is on a downward trajectory at the moment. Perez shouldn't be in that seat next year but there was no chance Red Bull were going to take Sainz. The only way he ever stood a chance of getting a good seat for 2025 is if Verstappen jumped ship to Mercedes which is looking very unlikely at this point.

I wholeheartedly agree with you one 1 point at last that Perez shold have been binned. But Max calling the shots now : )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So the FIA have changed the rules on young drivers entering F1 - you no longer need a driving licence (Antonelli being Italian would have to be 18 to hold one) and it's at the FIA's discretion now whether they allow a 17 yr old to take part. Not sure if it means Sargeant will be dropped mid season for Kimi or more likely we might see Merc give him some FP1 sessions instead. Wonder was that just pressure from Merc or why else the change - I'd have no issue with them letting a 17 yr old take part once he's capable enough.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/two-key-fia-rule-changes-open-door-to-early-antonelli-f1-debut/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I thought Verstappen didn't have a driver's licence when he joined F1.

They changed the rules after . Actually I think it was because of him

Yep, Max was 17 with no driver’s licence when he started F1 and they changed the rules soon after. 😁

• Advertisement

What’s weird about these rules, it can enable a driver like Antonelli (basically the core of this rule change now), but a driver in Indy car STILL won’t qualify for a super licence.

Thats a bit dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I heard a start on a podcast today and I feel it needs discussing. If you look at grand prix qualifying only, Alex Albon has beaten Logan Sargent 30 times. In that period Sargent has out qualified Perez 5 times...

Not sure what that tells us. We know Perez can be crap in quali which then screws his race. He’s still a far better driver than Sargeant (as are all other drivers on the grid).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think it shows how bad or inconsistent Perez has been. He doesn't really have any excuse to be performing so poorly...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Its race week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭Joeface

moved to race thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Talk on SM of alpine becoming a customer team and not using Renault engines

no way would Renault allow a brand of theirs use an engine of another manufacturer, unless a full pull out and name change

Be like AMG using a BMW for example

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Engines could be badged as BWT or Castrol

Didn't RB tag engines as Tag Heuer abt 8 years ago

• Advertisement

I really couldn’t see that happening. RB aren’t a car manufacturer also.

Advertisement