Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

even after the EI tour he came back and wasn't playing many games at 10, 

Because of injuries elsewhere. He was clear 2nd choice when they cleared up and became 1st choice from the Sharks game onwards.

The narritive pushed by some is the one of the main reasons Munster had poor form at the start of the season was due to the EI tour which is nonsense to me, it was the integration of a new coaching team and game plan

And you don't think the EI tour, being announced so late in the day, might have interfered with the integration of the new coaching team in some way?

If Crowley wasn't on the EI tour at best he might have got on the bench as a backup centre, Joey and ginger Scot would have ben playing 10 and 10 off the bench

This isn't rooted in reality either; Rowntree, perhaps more than anyone last season, showed he was happy to pick on form.

That's literally your only point in support of your argument.

Whereas I am saying he was third choice because he evidently had been (with all the stats to support it) prior to that, he went onto the EI tour because Munster at that point rated Ben Healy more highly, and Ben Healy started ahead of him for the three games prior to the EI tour (incl 2 friendlies).

As @Clo-Clo points out; it was April 2023 before he started 2 games back to back in the 10 jersey for Munster.

I've no interest in pursuing this argument any further. I didn't have much interest the last 3 or 4 times we had the exact same argument either.

Look, if you don't think the squad selection for the EI tour had any influence on selection for those 3 games, that's an argument you can make, but again it's not one I'd agree with.

Happy to leave it at that.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Over reliance on private schools is an issue and problem.

It's not the lack of other sources they're there but don't yet across the board have enough resources to develop players on a regular basis to peo level.

We do need to attract more players from other codes but we still are not doing enough to get potential pros/top level players enough high level training at an early enough age for them to progress to the elite game. The guys in your top schools as a whole are getting the video reviews, cosched gym sessions, 3 pitch sessions etc that pros do but it's nowhere near as prevalent outside the top schools. We can find a lot more tadhg furlongs, Jack o donoghues, Tom aherns etc by getting more coaching and work into the clubs and regional squads so more players outside the schools see that level of training. Getting players from other codes would of course be great but work on those playing the sport first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

No. I'd imagine the two men have met and talked, and they're broadly in agreement.

Whether or hot Humphreys has bigger fish to fry, it's something he's addressed in his first media event since taking over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd argue a bigger issue has been the substandard level of coaching at the other 3 Provinces for the guts of a decade. Munster are finally playing good, attractive rugby. Can hardly blame a Leinster lad being encouraged to move, turning it down after seeing the dross on the pitch. Hopefully Murphy can get Ulster humming again, criminal waste of talent there under MacFarland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I thought what he said about project players and that avenue drying up to be pretty interesting.

It is going to be very tough for any province to replace that indigenously with the same quality players as well as their normal output.

Getting players from other codes (unless he means guys who play both) seems kind of pipe dreamy in the short term.

Have we (Ulster) had a project player since Payne?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Not really what he said now, he said 3 years are gone and you are not going to see the same across the World, I expect he means the same amount of players we current have, he didn’t say it had dried up

He more or less said what most sensible people, including me, have been saying for years. The identification of talent is the issue and the provinces are not really taking talent from other sports like GAA.

Have any of the provinces maximised the pool of young players of sport? I think everyone has agreed they are not even close, maybe at max 25%? If even that

The private school are not a problem

It is the lack of identification of talent from other area

Why would you call the best section a problem?
    The problem is all the provinces need to identify and convert young players into rugby by other means than the private schools…..

That’s does not mean the private school are a problem, all the other routes are the problem and the private schools are functioning as they should

• Advertisement

Lost Ormond can speak for himself, but he didn't say the private schools were the problem.

He said the over-reliance on them, is the problem. Which is explained, at least in part, by the disparity in resources. (My reading is he's agreeing with you).

How do you just 'take' guys from other sports that aren't playing rugby as well?

The vast majority of irish internationals played rugby since young, and then played at private schools with amazing facilities and access to good coaching and lots of practice time. In fact, a big chunk did that through only two schools. And even more importantly, that's essentially free to the provinces and the irfu. Someone else is paying for that.

Expanding that pool is a good goal but its also a much more expensive longer term goal.

Edit: i don't agree on the project player thing. That's generally dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

Read his post again, he said the over reliance on Private Schools is a problem, that's not anything like you're claiming he said.

Have any of the provinces maximised the pool of young players of sport? I think everyone has agreed they are not even close, maybe at max 25%? If even that

Absolute finger in the air stuff here

I don't think anyone ever thought Ludik would play for Ireland. He was very solid for us though.

Yes, did I claim it wasn't

You do understand why people use a question mark

But it's a worthless stat to post. It's irrelevant if not based on anything

I don't get the point of the post

You spent months on here complaining about private school and now you seem to be claiming that is the only option for the IRFU 🙄

It was a question, again do you understand what a question is.

Actually leave it, just going to ruin thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In fairness to Ludik, he was being talked about as an Ireland depth option at one point and maybe if he'd been a few years younger he might have picked up a couple of caps. He was a good signing.

I said my point.

Its a great long term goal if the irfu (and provinces) put adequate resources (money) into it. It takes a lot to replace the rugby environment of the best private schools, and can't be something just wished into existence.

It won't replace the impact of project players in short term or even medium term.

Very decent spud as well - makes very nice spicy sausages and is in the coaching team at Instonians now.

I'm glad you stopped digging.

As you say, it's best to leave it.

Why would you replace the rugby environment of private schools?

If you think rugby players can only come via a system like private schools you are sadly mistaken, the GAA system produces excellent players for GAA via the club system.

The best Munster team came via clubs etc.

Looking at the private schools as some sort of problem is not the answer, the private schools should just continue doing what they do

The IRFU needs to work with the clubs around Ireland to produce other pipelines, how many kids are playing rugby/GAA/soccer up to age of 10 and then drop off into GAA/soccer? how do they keep them in rugby….thats the questions I would like to see the IRFU etc answering

I'm guessing he meant replicate and not replace.

Because simplistically if the best private schools have X level of facilities, Y amount of dedicated practice time, and Z level of coaching talent… then those have to be replicated by the province for their best club players. That is a real logistical and economic challenge.

Comparing to the GAA is pointless. GAA clubs have amazing facilities compared to Rugby ones. Changing that would require a kind of ground level effort by ordinary people that would also take a long time and is unlikely outside the GAA.

Edit: Lord Palmerston is correct. I mean replicate.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

So you think players can only be produced via private schools system?

Comparing to GAA is 100% correct, if you seen some of the facilities at rugby clubs they are getting better by the week. Some of the best GAA players are also coming from clubs which don't have the best facilites

Also the coaching for parents etc that are involved at clubs is getting better and better. For my kids the GAA and rugby are similar, once you go to soccer it is a noticeable drop off as the FAI don't bother their arse

Writing off players because they come from clubs without whatever level of facilities you think they should have seem pointless, to me it sounds again like you just don't want the IRFU to bother even trying.

• Advertisement

No, i think its easy to say that we should expand other pathways but that is much more expensive and much more difficult than people let on. Which is the reason most of our players come from private schools.

Just as an example, let's say you identify 15-20 of the best club players, the logistics of providing them the same level of competition, facilities, practice and coaching is really tough compared to basically doing nothing when it comes to private schools. Like, how do you even get them on a field together for the same amount of time around their normal schedule?

The IRFU and the provinces are trying but its a long term and hard thing to achieve. That's what those centres of excellence provinces are building are for presumably. They can provide the facilities for the best local players to be trained together, and workout together.

This is a long term project though. The idea that this can somehow happen quickly is nuts, and also this applies to guys who already play rugby. Expanding that to guys who don't or people from areas who don't is an even more expensive longer term project.

The GAA comparison isn't valid mainly because Rugby wouldn't have a problem if their base was like the GAA base. My local area has clubs with fantastic facilities and it was almost entirely done locally in terms of money and effort. Any rugby club in ireland is free to do likewise.

Advertisement