Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furiosa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Isn't Hardys character supposed to be the feral boy in Mad Max 2 , There's a lots off little hints & nods towards it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

No, apart from the fact that the Feral boy said he went on to lead The Great Northern Tribe there are a series of graphic novels that came out around the time of Fury Road that explains what happens before the events of the film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nope, he's Max Rockatansky, just part of that fluid sense of Lore and canon.

You can sorta see it though: some of the stuntwork was so impeccable it was hard to see here and how the cuts or CGI were made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Absolutely. I'm only being flippant because nobody died. If the WarBoys knew how many people had witnessed their antics…

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

They missed out on a Mel Gibson movie, a good old style high octane movie would have done well, Im hearing this film has lost a shed tonne of money

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

I'll be going seeing this again on Thursday, this will be the fourth time I'm going to see her on the big screen. Awful shame this isn't doing well at the box office, its pure brilliant escapism. The scene with the chrome truck being attacked by the flying demented bikers is just 10 minutes of classic action cinematic sequential brilliance.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is he though , the feral boys tribe had the car , the feral boy didn't speak ,Hardy barely speaks , Hardy doesn't play Max like Max, There's the music box , they call him raging feral multiple times ,He doesn't say his name and then at the end it's like he decides to be Max when he tells them ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, it's Max. I'm not 100% Miller has confirmed it, but he has also dismissed any quibbling over lore or canon … so sure, if you really wanted to you could probably say it's the Feral Kid - but equally, the series is just a cinematic form of fable and wasteland mythology; heck there's a more believable theory none of the Max's in the sequels are Max Rockatansky - that it just became a name attached to wandering nomads who helped folk out, then wandered back into the wasteland only to become legends told in the History Men's Word Burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

If Miller was able to make another one, and hopefully he will, what do ye think the story should be?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

He's on record as wanting to do 'the wasteland' which much like furiosa came from writing extensive background for fury road. My understanding is it's set the year before fury road and includes the war that's montaged in furiosa. It may be about Max getting his V8 back up running with parts but tbh I've not followed it loads. I don't expect it to be made as a film, possibly a TV show or animated

• Advertisement

They could pull a 28 days Later and it turn out the rest of the world was actually okay and still in one piece 🤡 mic drop, series over.

Or, if there's one last one it should be Max finally reconciling his past, learning to address his loss and find a new family or home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

From everything I've heard, he's already written it.. It'll be The Wasteland and set prior to Fury Road. I'd also suggest giving the game a play as well, it's a great game and very much so part of the series.

We have lots of high octane movies but Miller's parables are a pretty unique experience. I also don't think there's huge demand for Gibson to return.

If Mel Gibson was still a box office draw he'd have had a hit by now, or been hired outside of villain roles for B Movies. Why he's not acting outside of digital schlock is well understood, and good riddance TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I hope they do make another movie and it is set in totally different part of the Mad Max world. Always seemed a bit of a risk retreading the same environment from the previous movie. Taylor Joy and Hemsworth would very good so its pity they weren't cast in a different Mad Max movie with Mad Max actually in it, in a different setting.

CGI was distracting in a lot of the set pieces, for example in bullet town, half the action looked great the other half looked like it was shot in a completely different environment. Just had a whole different feel to Fury Road and I didnt think the quality of CGI could match the ambition of the script.

Post edited by Sudden Valley on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It would have been similar to Top Gun, a chance to connect with the past, it would have gotten me off the sofa and bring some family members too. Furiosa just sat in the middle, its the second serving of a movie no teenager would care about. I dont know where the big movies will come from these days, but this wasnt going to be it, that was obvious.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do think the film has stretches of CG dodginess - the Citadel attack being the most obvious to me, where some shots felt off and unfinished - although mostly stays on the right side of the divide, even if it lacks the sheer physicality of Fury Road. Kyle Buchanan has noted some of the production team were a bit frustrated with Miller relying on CG for some sequences and design details rather than allowing for some more old-school creativity.

But some allowances should be made too IMO. By all accounts Fury Road's desert shoot in Namibia was a hugely gruelling experience for everyone involved (explained in extraordinary detail in Blood, Sweat and Chrome), and this was a much less arduous shoot for everyone. While we all morbidly enjoy the tales from a nightmare film shoot, ultimately not putting workers through hell is a positive change :) I also believe the Australian conditions the film was shot in were unusually lush for that time of year, so compromises and changes had to be made due to the practical reality on the ground.

Granted, Fury Road still stands proud as a uniquely vivid piece of modern filmmaking even with a heavy amount of computer work in there. But some of the reasons for a different kind of production were made for sensible, understandable reasons rather than just laziness or cost-saving. And while it's a different film to Fury Road, Furiosa is still great enough even with a few CG excesses that I'm more willing to forgive it then some other films that get completely lost in CG weightlessness. I can't imagine modern Spielberg, for example, pulling off something like the War Rig chase here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Cruise is still a huge star, Gibson is not. I'm pretty glad that Miller is choosing to pursue unique works versus rethreading old ground. We criticise franchises for lacking originality but Fury Road and Furiosa are pretty unusual experiences that stay with you. Visually stunning and authentic plus a genuine plot that runs throughout alongside some great world building.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This is the problem with calling your movie after the name of a character. Without that character in every movie, you run the risk of audience drop off, even if the same "world" is used. I think this is the reason why 'Furiosa' has tanked.

"Furiosa…what's that about?"

Apparently the next instalment is called 'Mad Max Wasteland' and I'd almost guarantee you it'll do better than 'Furiosa' has. In fact, even if it was just called 'Wasteland', it would probably do better and it might even allow the producers to write Max out of the series altogether and start again relatively fresh. Max is now the weak point in the movies. Plus, I can see Hardy getting aged out of the role in the next few years, meaning yet another actor switch. Something I really, really, hate.

Weird argument anyway: why would teenagers want to "connect with the past" and watch their parents' old movies? Watching a now famously racist, bigoted maniac reprise an ancient role in another 'memberberry nostalgia jerk-off? Yeah I can really see young demographics being totally down for that.

Yeah, we got two idiosyncratic blockbusters, neither did well at the box office but are guaranteed to live on in the "discourse" and with film enthusiasts. It's like people haven't heard of the "cult classic" before.

• Advertisement

Gibson has his troubles, for sure, and alcoholism can make you do and say the most outrageous and stupid shit. He's probably a bit of a plonker into the bargain.

However, I would have preferred him in 'Fury Road' to Tom Hardy. No question about it.

Oh I won't argue that in his pomp, Mel Gibson was a star for a very good, demonstrable reason. When people lament the death of the classic Hollywood Leading Star, you can easily point to Gibson for a more modern example of an actor whose name alone could open a movie - or even get it made to begin with. Christ, he was in that weird John Wick prequel "series" and he dominated the show anytime he appeared, scenery chewing n' all.

But the suggestion Mel Gibson has any kind of box office traction now would be akin to thinking Jared Leto or Johnny Depp aren't total box office poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I enjoyed Tom Hardy as mad max, he has a great screen presensence so they could retain him as he gets older, Mad Max doesn't have to be that young. Hardy is only 46 now, and action stars can act into their 50s and beyond now.

Mad Max is just different to any other dystopian movie universe with its Australian setting, but I think they should retire it when Miller dies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH I find it entirely unsurprising that Furiosa and Fury Road before it weren't gigantic box office hits. They're too odd and idiosyncratic for that.

What I do find genuinely surprising - baffling, even - is that anyone who liked or loved Fury Road wouldn't go see Furiosa just because Max isn't in it. Surely George Miller getting to play around in this world again is an enticing prospect with or without a grunting Max being along for the ride, especially given the overwhelmingly positive reception the film has received from critics and fans alike.

Aye, he's not a BO draw for most movies today without a doubt. However, everyone who's seen a Mad Max movie associates Mel Gibson with that role, so there's an argument that he would have been a draw for 'Mad Max Fury Road' and bear in mind that was made 10 years ago. Also I don't think anyone went to see that picture purely because Tom Hardy was in it.

It would have been nice, perhaps, to have Gibson as an ageing Max and, maybe, kill him off in some noble sacrifice, thus freeing you up to carry on the series without having to focus on a particular character all the time. But then, what would you call it?

Mmmmm…Furiosa? 😁

Hardy's a good actor, don't get me wrong. But actor switcheroo's are a pet hate of mine. And for me, he's the weak link in Fury Road.

Also I don't think anyone went to see that picture purely because Tom Hardy was in it.

Mmmmm…Furiosa? 😁

Purely for Tom Hardy? Possibly not no … but what made Fury Road sing IMO, and in some respects I think doomed Furiosa funnily enough, was the presence and absence of Charlize Theron respectably. I do think if Theron was reprising the role it might have had a better run of it. Maybe.

And given Furiosa was formed from a parallel script that existed around the time of Fury Road's production, it was clear to me Miller himself always had Theron's character front of mind - and perhaps only introduced Max at all as a sop to the studio.

TBH I don't think "Mad Max" is a draw full stop and is too niche or cult to have ever been the kind of blockbuster material Warners thought it was (enough to try not once, but twice - though Im glad they did and Miller got two chances to muck about). The box offices, while disappointing, are kinda accurate for the subject.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There is a fan edited version of Fury Road where Max's character is entirely removed, if you fancy looking that up.

Personally while I dislike actor replacements, the Mad Max films have such disregard for canon and continuity that, tbh, I'd prefer a different face than having post-hanging-his-whole-arse-out-in-public Gibson back just because he was in previous films.

Heck, were it not for the film's more down-to-earth tone you could make a good argument for Rover (the Guy Pierce vehicle, arf arf) being set in the same wasteland as the Mad Max films.

A fan edit of Fury Road?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've never seen the original films. Probably never will to be honest. I watched Fury Road at a nearby cinema just before Furiosa released and I'm fine with Hardy as the lead.

Gibson made all of his own problems so I've no sympathy there.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement