Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

IIRC he is a 'supernumary' paid by Wilson's Hospital School out of their private resources?

They must rue the day they didn't do a quick Google and bin that CV…

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

It did have consequences.

They had to go to court and face the prospect of a large payout.

Even before going to court, they incurred legal expenses which they wouldn't get back if the case was dropped.

Then they did have to go to court, and that's when the meter really starts spinning.

Despite costs being awarded in their favour, what are their chances of collecting?

So you can be pretty sure someone in the Indo will have got a rap across the knuckles for this.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I'm no lawyer but 'entirely successful' etc. seems to me to indicate the court's opinion was that Mr. Burke had not got a leg to stand on in relation to the defendant's costs. He is free to argue otherwise of course but we'll see how that goes. If he tries the whole "but it wasn't true" thing it would seem like an attempt to re-argue the facts of the case at the costs stage.

He is well known to be a frequent proclaimer of his religious views - getting into 'trouble' over such a thing, had it happened, would only enhance his reputation in the eyes of potential US donors, surely… but no had to play the victim card again.

(For a reasonable fee, my "how to be a more financially successful religious nutter" consultancy services are available 🤪 )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think it's actually disgraceful that a paper like the Sindo, which would regard itself and be regarded, as a cut above the likes of the Sunday World etc would blatantly publish a pack of lies and get away with it completely! Even though I have zero time for the Burkes or any other religious cults I would have thought the sindo should have been told to print a front page apology for the story they made up about him.

• Advertisement

APOLOGY

ENOCH BURKE IS IN FACT NOT A PERSON WHO PREACHES HIS RELIGION ALL THE TIME

Then he'd go for libel again… oh and the Sindo hasn't been a cut above anything except the gutter for going on forty years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

Ah...so there is a route that at least results in some sort of consequence for printing lies.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

In a well ordered society, there should indeed be consequences for the publishers of falsehoods, lies, untruths, whatever you want to call Irish Independent "journalism" such as the article about Burke.

A proper media regulator should be able to hit them where it hurts, with a substantial monetary fine for printing lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

You think it’s acceptable for a newspaper to print a load of lies about someone just because you don’t like them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

The apology was several months later.

EB would have been better going the malicious falsehood route, and irrespective shoud have forced the indo to back up their claims of "usual trusted source" and without that could have proved reckless/malice.
    Still may not have been able to prove any actuall loss.

I actually feel sorry for him and all the children. They are all brainwashed members of a cult and have no hope of escaping it.
    Press ethics is a whole other thread. It would not be served well by debating it here based on this one tiny case.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Kilteragh

Yep so the case he took was only about defamation and he lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

This is quite an interesting discussion for me personally...I realise I know next to nothing about the law!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He was back in court again today seeking to have the original court injunction overturned (the one requiring him to stay away from the school).

As expected , it didn't go well as Enoch was demanding summary judgement and immediate resolution.

There were testy exchanges between Mr Burke and Mr Justice Sanfey after the teacher repeatedly asked the judge to deal with his application there and then.

The Judge said he was unwilling to do so as the school had only been made aware of the application this morning and would need time to consider its position.

“Mr Burke effectively comes before the court and says his application is so convincing and so clear that not only should I accede to the application without giving the opportunity to the other side to consider it, but that I should apologise to him for his incarceration going on this long,” said Mr Justice Sanfey“

This unfortunately is the sort of specious nonsense I have had to listen to from Mr Burke over the last year. Mr Burke is well aware of the necessity to give parties to an action notice when an application is brought before the court.”

And again , the Judge offered him a simple way to get out of Prison and again Enoch declined to take up the offer.

Mr Justice Sanfey said that if Mr Burke’s indicated he would give an undertaking to abide by Mr Justice Owens’ order, then he could be released.

“Like every other citizen of this country you must comply with orders of this court,” he said.

However, the teacher repeatedly insisted he was “not in contempt of the law” and claimed the court had “no regard for the constitution”.

And round and round the circus goes..

’You must hold up the Law of God (as I see it today)’

To hell with the rest of us, we’re godless heathens that are doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So he is saying he should be out of prison and back at work…no judge can actually let him out if he is going to go straight back to that school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I'd rather spend my eternity in the company of doomed godless heathens then the Burkes.

(BYOB).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Sorry but this is incorrect. The burden of proof is on the plaintiff to prove malice in relation to the impugned statement for malicious falsehood. It also only relates to untrue statements in relation to the plaintiffs profession. Saying that he was preaching in prison does not affect his profession or trade as a teacher.

Finally, he would have to show special damage caused by the statement, i.e. tangible financial loss.

Defamation was the appropriate route forhim to take despite the statement while being untrue was not defamatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d imagine an afternoon of the aul one screeching like a banshee would feel like an eternity

Not quite correct either,

There's no point in argueing that defamation was appropriate, as it failed.
    I agree on the loss, that may be the stumbling block of malicious falsehood, but it is not exclusively trade and profession. And maybe he could argue that the publication prevented him getting a job/job back…

From Section 42 of defamation act on malicious falsehood:
    ..the plaintiff shall be required to prove that the statement upon which the action is founded—
    (a) was untrue
    (b) was published maliciously, and
    (c) referred to the plaintiff, his or her property or his or her office, profession, calling, trade or business.

so he's got a and c, and the indo was at minimum reckless as regards b.

His defamation case failed because he could not fulfill all of the necessary proofs. Malicious falsehood is even more tenuous however.

He has a) only in the above. He could not possibly prove the paper acted maliciously in the circumstsnces. Thepaper acted in good faith based on info from trusted sources. There is no malice or recklessness in that.

The Statute is very clear that the impugned statement must affect him in his trade or profession etc. This is absolutely not the case here so c) is not fulfilled either.

That said, this is all academic really on the malicious falsehood bit. Burke has at every turn shot himself in the foot in relation to this entire debacle. The whole thing is a farce and the onlyremedy is to leave him there till he sees sense or gives up. Neither is an attractive option but the law must be obeyed.

I fully agree on Burke being left there till he purges his contempt.
    But, I don't think the indo should get away with spouting bs either, even if he doesn't have a reputation.

On c above, it is from the Statute. It only has to refer to the plaintiff…ie him, irrespective of his trade/profession. He still has to prove loss and that may need trade/profession so thats still tricky.

But on b, "trusted source" …on who's say so? sounds reckless to me trusting a source who is proved untrustworthy. What's the evidence that they are to be trusted? And does the trusted source really exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,372 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

For such a well-educated family, their behaviour seems self-destructive.

There surely must be a better way to direct their energies.

His sister Ammi seems to have taken a case to the WRC over what was a minor mis-communication, blown out of all proportions. She has lost a good job paying 70k over a trivial issue.

The prisoners and the majority of the population agree with him on the substantive issue, but I feel his tactics have backfired.

I dealt with two of his siblings in a professional capacity, very educated, polite, articulate.

What is the end-game? He can hardly stay in jail forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

that’s what I’m wondering…..

Does Enoch just break and purge his contempt ? The only other way he walks is if a presidential pardon is issued which I doubt very much will transpire. That has to be recommended / requested by politicians….

So he basically there until he breaks…. Almost 9 months in there… I’ve a feeling it’s going to run and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The majority of the population agree with him on the substantive issue.

By this, do you mean him misgendering a student? Or all of the rigmarole he's caused with the school? Or his unwillingness to abide by the courts' rulings?

• Advertisement

I agree that the indo should not be publishing false articles at all whether defamatory or not.

On the truetedsource, the journalist gave evidence that there was a confidential source for the original story. She then verified the story with a second source. Her sources, after publication informed her that the story was not accurate and a correction issued some time after.

Advertisement