Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General sheep thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If you're using a creep feeder you may keep meal in it and they'll look after themselves.

If you let it empty for any length of time they'll eat too much when they get it.

Lambs 30 - 35 kgs will eat a kilo /day

They'll be slow to start so don't put too much in the feeder to keep it fresh for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

First bit of fly strike here today. A hogget just swishing the tail. Clipped back and a big lump of maggots just about to break skin. Lucky to catch it as they're at the homeplace and I don't see them as often as I'd like (father checked every day but just to see none have 4 feet up 🤣)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭roosky

having big trouble here with scald in ewes and lambs, footbathing every two weeks, I’m getting a great response from the footbath for the first 10 days post treatment then a large % start limping again …. Any tips to reduce it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Footbath, seperate out the bad cases for a week and do twice and change all to a new clean field. Creep feeding and congregation in areas will not help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭joe35

Lime around areas where they congregate slows the spread of it. Round licks or drinkers

thanks ya I haven’t put in the creep feeder until I get a handle on the lameness

Was hoping to avoid seperating lame ones because it’s so hard to find the mother/sibling of the lame one now that numbers are starting to fade but I’ll have to try !

would you ask your vet about blanket treatment with a long acting antibiotic.

We injected the ewes with Footvax twice in desperation last October/november , Nothing was working,

We've only one ewe and no lambs lame at the moment, so if this is down to footvax we should have been doing it years ago.

Anyone else finding the same using footvax

I won’t do a blanket antibiotic treatment anyway, I’m completely against that because so many farms are getting antimicrobial resistance when they really need the antibiotic to work so I’ll avoid that route at all costs.

I’ll double down on the footbathing and hopefully I get ahead of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Sand problem here. Always footbathed, every few weeks and no problem. This year despite footbathing, every two weeks ewes still kept getting lame. Used antibiotic and eventually got on top of it after footbathing , weekly.

r every few weeks

• Advertisement

I'd agree with you regarding the irresponsible use of antibiotics and worm doses , but I did say to consult your vet,

I've only once blanket injected and it was for abortion and it cured the lameness for the whole housing season as well.

We never got ahead of the lameness last year and it had a huge impact on lamb thrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Jimbo789

I generally use Alamycin LA 300mg/ml on the individual lame cases but this year had a few ewes that had to follow up with a second or third injection before they were fully better. I sometimes notice that around lambing time the single injection doesn’t always work, I don’t know if this is due to increased stress on the ewe or increased weight.

Does anyone use Draxxin or any other antibiotic that they find more effective?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Sami23

I've a lamb that fostering didn't work out so giving him a bottle 4 times a day getting 1.6 to 1.8ltrs in total.

He's getting Red Mills creep also but not eating that much of it for some reason so struggling to build it up as was hoping to wean him off milk when the current bag of frisky is gone. Not much more I can do I suppose. Only concern is I don't creep feed the lambs so when he goes back with the flock it will be only grass he will be getting so hoping he will do ok then.

I don't know why he's not eating half a pound meal per day unless you're feeding him hay and he's stuffing himself with it.

Also regarding weaning, he won't thrive on grass alone until he's 10 weeks old at least so you may try to keep him eating meal, Lambs are mostly weaned off ewe when they're 12 weeks old plus

He's not getting any Hay or Silage just the 4 bottles a day and fresh meal every day also.

He seems to eat the bits he likes out of the meal and leaves the rest the fussy little scut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭kk.man

It's alleged that Draxxin can result in infertility in female sheep. A very well respected sheep farmer told me. My vet won't prescribe it either.

• Advertisement

I didn’t look to get Draxxin from my vet but was discussing other drugs with him and asked it if was something they use. He said it was usually used in cases where nothing else worked.

So I was just curious if it was widely used by farmers or how effective it was against lameness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Thats rubbish..using it here the past few years and it's never effected litter size..all treated ewes are color marked when treated and don't see any pattern of them ending up as singles or emptys

Fair enough, that what i was told but again i have no experience of it.

I put clik on lambs Saturday and looking at them this evening there is no trace of it on them…..we had rain since but nothing mad, how quick does it usually wash off ?

• Advertisement

I just thought it would still be some way visible, I was worried it was simply washed off with rain !

The pink is a dye to help you know what is done, it usually disappears quick

How often are ye worm dosing February-March born lambs ?

Every 5-7 weeks ?

We always test before dosing and it can range between 4 - 8 weeks. We dosed on the first of may and had to dose again today. The rule of thumb used to be 5, 8, and 12 weeks in march born lambs before the wormer resistance was a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I recently purchased a clipster clippers. Seems to be a good job although I was wondering if I bought some heineger or similar better quality blades would it make a difference? Blades that come with it are slow enough getting through wool..that could be due to the extreme amateur status of the operator though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

you probably just need them sharpened & set right

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Country lad

got sheep sheared yesterday for 3 euro each which was.nt bad

That seems to be the run of it now, a good little earner for a good shearer that can do 30 - 40/hr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

paid 500 to two lads who were here shearing 3 hours 15 minute and fed them also. Worked out slightly over the the 3e.
    It’s great money but I wouldn’t begrudge them it.
    They are just back from Australia and said they are getting slightly more out there, with solid days work at a time without having to travel so much.
    if a lad was well able to shear he’d do mighty out there.
    Ewetube done a video a while back breaking down how much he made one week out there

I was talking to my shearer at the weekend, he was telling me he did 1000 last week at €3, his ex isn't well so he has to bring his daughters , 11 and 13, with him and they got €90 each after school from the farmers over the week, One pushes up the sheep and the other packs the wool.

He'll have another shearer with him from now on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Country lad

hard job shearing they surely deserve the 3 euro a sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭joe35

Working with a fella doing ground works here. He's on over 1000 a week. Not Dublin hours. Starts at 8, he lives 10 mins from work finishes at half 4 or before it. Said he cleared 1400 in 2 wee jibs he done in evenings and Saturday.

No late evenings, and he wouldn't be busted

It amazes me how much these lads earn and have done so for a good few years now. I often wonder why I paid so much attention at school with the goal for a 'good' job. I don't begrudge lads making money but it totally goes against the beliefs i was brought up with. Despite all their earnings only a few have anything to show for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭148multi

Just as in any industry there are well and poorly paid, there are people on tills in a national supermarket very nearly grossing €1000 without overtime or weekend rate. But a work colleague may be on €12 / hour.

Construction work is more cyclical, so more prone to boom/bust. Also fewer youths are going the route of manual labour.

Tilers are clearing about €60 an hour gross, but work is still building up in front of them. ( they price by area ).

is there any product to treat both liver fluke and rumen fluke?

there is but they only treat adult liver fluke,(eg Zanil & Levafas Diamond) better to do both separately in my opinion

thanks. Sheep need a fluke dose, and the vet said there’s a lot of rumen fluke about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Levafas very strong stuff, there will be some scour out of them just be watching for maggots in this weather if they get dirty back ends after the dose.

I just did them for liver fluke in the end. Will see if there’s an improvement before dose them for anything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Would you always dose for fluke over the summer?

I thought dosing for fluke was an autumn/winter thing more so?

EDIT : What dose did you give em in the end?

Post edited by Dinzee Conlee on

I know what ya mean. Few reasons I went with a fluke dose.
    1) we had to take in one sheep from the field as she was very thin and off form.the inside of her eyelids were very pale which is one sign of fluke.

2) when I was handling them at shearing I felt a few with what I thought were small lumps under their jaw. Another possible symptom of fluke.

3) a few years back, around now or maybe a few weeks later, I thought the hoggets had worms as they weren’t thriving as well as I’d like. I took a dung sample and it was clean for worms but showed positive for fluke.

4) the sheep hadn’t got a fluke dose since well before lambing.

Talked to the vet and they recommended a liver fluke dose but also a rumen fluke dose as they are seeming a lot of that.
    I dosed them with endofluke in the end.

we wouldn’t have wet land but it’s a very wet year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Up here in NW if you have only middling ground you need to dose ewes for fluke right through the Summer in a wet year…….they can lose condition quickly if infested with fluke and they are trying to feed a lamb or lambs as well as looking after themselves.

wouldnt be confident endofluke would be very effective, alot of resistance to triclabendazole based doses

a closantel based dose like flukivor would be a lot more effective in my opinion (Solantel is the same but can be lumpy and can block gun) or a Nitroxynil based injection like Fascionix 34% (formerly Trodax)

Ya I’ll see if they improve but I’ll keep that in mind 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

Question in relation to 5 star rams, bought 2 texle ram lambs at the sheep ireland sale last year, both were double 5 star at the time. I'm not happy with how these rams grew and think they're a bit short so plan on selling them. Are they still considered double 5 star or are they now just regular breeding rams?

• Advertisement

you can go to the sheep Ireland website and in the ram search section put in the tag number of the ram in the search by ram id place.

It will show how many stars they have now and if they are still eligible for the SIS scheme. I don’t think the are any rules about the same ram being sold multiple times to satisfy the SIS criteria for each new owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

I'm very happy with the lambs from them, but the ewe lambs seem to be a bit short in themselves aswell so would just rather have a longer type of ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Got dung samples back from lambs that showed moderate level of coccidiosis.will vecoxan treat this or is it more of a prevention dose?..don't fancy the long withdrawal on bovicox as there will be a good few lambs fit in the flock in it over the next 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I did an FEC last week - tested for stomach worms & cocci. Tested positive for both. Dosed for stomach worms (clear dose)

Will test again after 2 weeks, to see how the dose did.

I didn't dose for cocci, as I read somewhere that cocci will always be present in low numbers, and only becomes a problem when something else is wrong. My hope is, the worm dose will clear them up and cocci will right itself…

I could be 100% wrong here - FEC results next week will tell I guess…

Lambs seem to be thriving, don't look drawn or dry in the wool that you sometimes see with cocci.

Would be interested to hear what others think, as I could be well wrong in what I did…

• Advertisement
Advertisement