Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭DataDude

Yep, 100% agree but it’s easier said than done to reduce to the cost of producing something. With apartments the big variable of land costs are proportionally lower - they’re just expensive to build correctly (for reasons beyond my expertise!)

I think the government had a scheme to give developers money directly for each apartment? This was criticised across the board for using taxpayer money to enrich the nasty developers.

Absolutely. Once you’ve decided you’re staying in Ireland long term - buying literally anything you can, as soon as you can, over long term renting is the higher percentage play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Even with the increased density on each site, the land costs are still far too high.

We need to tackle land speculation, and implement land rezoning taxes - windfall profits from rezoning land from ag to residential should be taxed extremely heavily to discourage land speculation.

Smaller taxes should be levied on residential lands on their market value also, to discourage hoarding. Many towns and cities have just a few developers and businessmen who own majority of development land, and can effectively put the squeeze on anyone looking to build, forcing them to pay eye watering prices for zoned land if they want to build.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭hometruths

In fairness to govt the vacant site tax does at least aim to improve this. not sure if anybody has actually had to pay it yet though. Seems like it has had an enormous lead in time.

Yes, more exemptions than applications of it.

New residential zoned land tax due to come is already seeing local level politicians lobby to add more exemptions, such as for any residential zoned land that is being used for agriculture.

Meaning you could rent out residential zoned land to a farmer and avoid all taxes on that prime development land you own.

TBH that rule is fair enough in as far as it is more likely to be applied on land that is genuinely being farmed. I am very pro taxing zoned land heavily to avoid speculative hoarding, but I don't think it is fair to tax genuine farmers who are using the land productively and wish to continue doing so.

I guess if we started seeing a couple of sheep on sites in Dublin miles away from any other agriculture then it's an issue.

As far as I know the agricultural issue is already covered by allowing farmers who wish to use the land for farming rather than development to request that it is dezoned, and thus the tax no longer applies.

• Advertisement

Dezoning is fine, but I personally know local councillors (FF) who are pushing for straight up exemptions to the tax.

Agree with all these views without exception. But I think the last figure I saw was roughly between 10-15% land cost for apartments.

Let’s say you could optimistically knock half off that cost. For a €500k apartment you’re theoretically making it €465-475k instead. It would be fantastic but don’t think it solves the problem necessarily. A 50% reduction in land value also feels ambitious. I would venture that the value of land in Central Dublin is already low vs other capital cities (probably because of building height restrictions)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think that is where the owner is farmingbit at present

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When you go beyond I think its 5 floors( it's a height related limit) you can no longer use standard building practices of blocks and timber. You are now into steel and mass concrete. The higher you go the more room services take up, everything from lifts to sewers. Young lad building a bungalow at present, there will be 3k of steel going into itand it not that complicated a building. Buildings regs are crazy in this country

On buying anything a friend separated from his other half about 5 years ago now. I told him at the time buy anything. There was option sub 80k at the time. He as he put it "was not ready to buy" 5 years later he has probably spend nearly 50k on rent. The options at 80k are double that now

Another lad moved into the village three ish years ago himself and the partner had a bread snapper and another one on the way. I was talking to him he had a decent job but wanted to build. Again I advised him to buy anything even a house in a council estate( nothing wrong with them) but his other half would not hear of it. So three years later 35-40k gone and houses 20-30% more expensive

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

If owner wants to still farm they should object to zoning or apply to dezone, but to have residential zoned land but also pay no tax on it is definition of having your cake and eating it.

We should not facilitate that - residential zoned land should be developed, don't like it? Appeal for dezoning and you won't get benefit of price increase.

Irish regs are very stringent for things like lift cores and the number that must be dual aspect.

Apartment blocks on the continent have far higher ratio of apartments to lift cores, but here it's very low before you need to add another lift core which adds massively to both build price and maintenance costs.

You don't get half as many dual aspects in European cities either as are required in Irish regs - there I think we go overboard.

In Barcelona or Madrid you get far more pisos - flats that are family home sized, 3+, bedrooms all across one floor. Some have no lift cores, others have just one. And blocks themselves are still quite large. And even these are seldom dual aspect. We should really take a lead out of there book - Barcelona is one of the best cities for density without going proper high rise throughout

• Advertisement

You and Bass clearly know significantly more about apartment building regs than the layperson. Say a group of experts conclude Irish regs are overdone for reasons x,y,z and advise the government to change them. Just imagine the optics of how that would play through public opinion? Especially given the defective apartments we built in 2000s and how strongly that sits in peoples minds.

‘Panel of building experts advises government to reduce building standards to increase developer profits’

I think it’s a major problem in Ireland that housing has become so hot a topic that sensible discussion has become almost impossible.
    If I was Minister for Housing, even if I felt weakening building requirements was the right thing to do, there is not a hope I would do it because it would be weaponised against me. Any positive impact of the changes would have no real world impact until long after my 5 year term was finished.

I think it’s a major problem in Ireland that housing has become so hot a topic that sensible discussion has become almost impossible.

You've hit the nail on the head here. But this is not a recent development.

Back around 2006/7 some commentators were trying to point out that we were building too many houses, that the situation wasn't sustainable and they were ignored in favour of the narrative of the day. Nobody could have a sensible discussion about this.

Around 2013 the narrative of the day was that we had massive oversupply and it would take a generation to fill all the properties. It was around this time that Ronan Lyons started saying we need to build more in Dublin, particularly apartments, and again there was no appetite for sensible discussion about this.

The problems we have now are largely as a result of long term lack of sensible discussion, leading to bad political decisions and short term thinking, and thus the solutions are to be found in political decisions. But those decisions are difficult, and as you say no government will take them, even if they think it is the right thing to do.

That's why I remain fairly convinced sooner or later we'll overshoot the supply deficit and end up in another period of oversupply. It is certainly what our track record suggests will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There are edge cases. There are people whose family have been farming land for generations who don't want to be forced off it. Yes, they can apply to have it dezoned, but in some cases there would be genuine fears that their now agricultural land would then be CPO'd at that value to provide, for example, green space for the local population because the Council allowed the developer to build without providing it.

You don't think that could ever happen ………… Dublin City Council tried to CPO 2 acres a stone's throw from St Stephen's Green back around the height of the Celtic Tiger madness after the then owner refused an offer of 100k for it. In the end up it turned out to be moot as the crash came before the issue was resolved and it was eventually bought for about 140k from receivers after the crash and donated to them.

There was no suggestion that a speculator could buy up land, sit on it, and avoid the levy by renting out under a peppercorn rent to a fella with a horse for rough grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

The land cost is determined by

The amount of units you can squeeze into it, the grants and incentives available to buyers, the tax incentives available to the financier/owner(s), the sudden abolition of charges for essential services.

All these incentives are absorbed and lead to higher land prices, a new wheeze has to be invented to stimulate new supply in higher land price environment so we are forever in a loop of, the more money we throw at it the less output is delivered.

In a booming high wage economy, there is no reason why property can not be capable of washing it's own face and contributing taxes to at least cover the cost of services required for it to exist

You posted earlier this week about how the output is going to outpace every other country earlier in the week. Look at the incentives, grants and removal of charges that has been introduced. What will this do to price, land costs and the next iteration of supply

Development levies and water connection charges gone (26k per unit)

Vacant property refurbishment grant (50k for vacant, 70k for derelict). No effective corresponding taxes to prevent both issues

150,000 grant per apartment for "cost rental apartments" with a target of 6,000 apartments under such a scheme

Remember council are buying social and affordable new apartments at close to 3 times the private market price of a well located similar property.In my district

The scheme is similar to the Crói Cónaithe Cities scheme, where developers get up to €120,000 per apartment in Dublin and up to €144,000 per apartment outside of the capital to build flats

Thanks posting that doc on the ftb grant drawdowns. An eye opener of a document

Post edited by Villa05 on

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭engineerws

Did the same. Mind you our bungalow doer upper cost over 700k in North Wicklow.

If you hear anyone repeating the lie about how units cannot be delivered for less than X, have a look for listings of development land and see the prices being paid for it.

Land is inelastic. The amount of it available does not depend on the current price. Well at least it is inelastic at development prices.

Development land does not have any viable alternative competition for its use. What I mean by that is, say a developer tries to pay their labourers only minimum wage, then the labourers will/can go and get a higher paying job in a factory etc. If a developer does not want to pay the price for timber, it can go to other uses rather than construction. But the alternative to a field being used for development is for it to be used for agriculture. It might produce a couple of hundred Euro an acre per year at best. It might be valued at 20k an acre as agricultural (itself divorced from it's production value but that is another matter). Once it is designated for development, whether it sells for 1m or 2m or 10m per acre is purely due to what buyers will pay for it.

So, given all the above, when two or more developers want to build houses, they know what they can sell them for, they know the cost of construction etc. and the variable bit is what they choose to bid for that acre. They bid, say, a million quid. They only do that because they can still make money at that. The actual construction costs are largely irrelevant to the final cost as long as the site cost is relatively high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/homes-in-at-least-16-counties-affected-by-defective-concrete-as-concerns-raised-over-eu-safety-standard/a1836332722.html

one has to wonder are irish house prices now simply over valued ... there looks like there is going to he a serious amount of issues found over the next few years with the properties we have thrown up over the last 20 years or so

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Drog79

Shark mx we moved into an horrific doer upper. Almost all the tradespeople asked us to move out while they worked, eh no, we had nowhere to go. The sellers were shocked we were moving in.

Sometimes you do what you have to do.

Buy a house that was built before we became a "knowledge economy"

Can't beat the regulation of time and a period when you next job depended on the quality of your last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Well theres a doer upper you can work on while you are in it and there is one that you cant move into. I wouldnt even bid on the latter. But ive seen lots of people now buy perfectly liveable houses and have the whole place gutted and practically rebuilt before move in. Im sure the builders love them, but those kinds of places are not for me tbh.

When we were buying we were only looking at houses over 30 years old. Too scared to buy anything built in the last 3 decades. I wonder what defects are going to show up with the materials they are using nowadays to build houses and apartments. Lots I think. Sure everyone responsible has all gotten away with it, so why would anything change?

New builds are a roll of the dice and have been for a few years now.

I would posit that that is more a reflection of the friends you keep rather than general society. there would have always been people like that in any period, and there always will be. They may just have come from money etc.

Nope. I know people from all sorts of backgrounds, races, religions, social classes. Most people do. The only thing that seems to separate opinions on what someone should be prepared to move into seems to be age.

Well if there appears to be a common thread of repulsion at you buying a particular type of property, then that correlation is likely due to the types of people you hang around with rather than being a reflection of broader society. Because most people frankly wouldn't care one way or the other.

No surprises here but Dublin is 4th most expensive in Europe to build apartments at a cost of 3500 per sqm

More expensive than Berlin, than Paris and many more

Insane considering the relatively low population of Dublin and existing very low density

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Davy Stockbrokers contesting that we need 85k new homes each year, between now and 2030.

Interesting that the National Planning Framework had planned for a State population of 5.36 million by 2030.

We have likley reached that figure already.

Will the 85k new homes per annum target be adopted by the State? 50k appears to be the quoted target figure.

House price inflation approaching double digits, particularly in demand pinch points.

Posters commented how much of a disaster it would be if property prices fell sharply, we should be viewing sharp rises equally as bad

What goes up........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

As per article, most of the homes coming to market are not available to buy. The article says only 33% of new builds are available to buy privately, nationally.

I would be very confident that the percentage is much lower in Dublin.

Likley =<10%, maybe up to 15% in some areas.

Therefore, as far as purchase prices go, the vast majority of new builds may as well not exist because there is next to no supply coming to the purchase market - hence we will continue to see house price inflation; when viewed in context with the huge spending and savings power of the top 20% of the (ever growing) population.

10s of thousands of wealthy people in the GDA especially, competing for limited housing resources = house prices, especially in the good and average areas of the capital, will keep on rising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

There was some low to negative months in H1 2023 that has been keeping annual rate down. As the drop out of the annual it prob makes it seem like big surge. The annual rate might normalize in next few months

Advertisement