Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Do antigen tests even pick up on new variants? (apologies if that is a stupid question).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,616 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They seem to do so, based on the number of people I've heard saying they have covid, suggests testing with antigen and infected with new variant in circulation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Thanks. I did wonder about the tests, because my daughter has been quite ill for the last fortnight, (with a lot of the same symptoms being mentioned in the recent posts). She did antigen tests twice, but both times they were negative. Neither she nor I have ever had covid, and our last vax's were in April 2023.

The thing with antigens, if you test positive you have it… if you test negative, you might still have it / have had it, with those symptoms. Sometimes can come down to sampling technique, what stage the virus is at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Why don't the government offer PCR tests anymore, so?

Good question, I would have thought there would be scenarios where that would be useful, to clear up ambiguity about persistent symptoms. Possibly it is still done in hospitals, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

People who are at very high or high risk may be sent by their GP for testing depending on symptoms and / or a poditive antigen test .

Patients are still being tested in some areas of hospitals if at risk themselves or to others .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I picked up COVID last week, felt miserable for 2 days but coming out of it now, bit of a headache and congestion but didn't get into my chest, hardly any cough. Tested positive yesterday with of the home test kits my wife picked up from her workplace. I've had my vaccines, last booster was about 9 months ago so hopefully I'll be good until the end of the year. I've had COVID before, this time was similar, maybe less symptoms. No brain fog thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Never had it before. Tested positive early Saturday. Figure I actually caught it (I was sneezed on) Tuesday night, felt oddly fatigued on Wednesday, did a lot of walking on Thursday and found it way more taxing than usual, had cough and runny nose on Friday, and felt very poorly. . Each of these nights I sweated profusely, which is not normal for me. On the phone to my daughter (a nurse) on Friday night , she suggested I might have covid. Took two tests on Saturday morning ( by which time I was in a bad way), and both were positive. In bed or on the couch since.
    Sweated badly each night, woke up and had to change my vest which was not just damp, but actually wet.

Thought I felt a bit better yesterday, but am bucked again today.
    Wonder how long it’ll be before I turn the corner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Had it two weeks ago. Sore throat, two days of utter exhaustion and a few more of being sub-par. Two of us in the house tested positive, two negative but we all had it. Milder than the previous two times I had it but I’ve taken all vaccines and possibly my body has adjusted. Bearable if this is what I’ll have to deal with every 18 months. Could do without it but weaker than flu from this last dose.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

anyone else down with this right now. On day 4 here. Bored with it! No fever but very congested nose, aches and pains, brain fog, fatigue. Starting to cough today. Both parents sick and both children well. Ugh.

Sick since Sunday night ( day 3 now ) and only now is temperature settling .

Coughing , very ..sore throat and dry bark , aches pains congested sneezy and generally feeling very miserable .

Don't remember the last dose (Omicron 2021 ) as bad but haven't had a booster for a year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m recovered now but it took longer than expected. About 9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Bridget Clarke

I’ve had it three times now, most recently Easter 2024. Each dose I’ve had made me feel worse than the previous one. And each time, it took me longer to recover. I believe it’s rampant at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Dano650

Is it rampant though? I have heard of a few people that have had it over the last few weeks but I wouldn't say its rampant. I work in a company of over 600 staff and I do a weekly absence report and we have had very few staff out due to covid. Majority of people I know don't care about covid anymore and will only test themselves if really sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yep I keep hearing the same but anyone who is sick at the moment seems to have a cold or a vomiting bug. I wonder if a lot of people are even testing themselves and we've now moved from people saying they have the flu if they get a bad cold to saying they have COVID.

Just to state, I'm not doubting how sick Bridget was but I can't really say it's rampant in the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Next door neighbor had Covid only in the last month and was really bad with it, managed to work from home but had symptoms for 10 days and was really bad for 5. Wife and kids OK and didn't get it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

It has hit in the Tour de France with several drop outs today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Dano650

Oh no,surely they will have to cancel the Tour now 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Sponge25

I tested positive before the vaccine and felt that general sense of illness you get when your immune system is ramping up to fight a virus (sore neck, mild headache, mild temperature increase etc.) but I was absolutely fine, it was like a week cold. The worst thing was staying in my house for 14 days. After day 3 I had no symptoms. It's strange how it whipes some people out but doesn't affect others of the exact same demographic.

Well if I am anything to go by nobody would be able to get up and function with this , never mind go to work .

Contacted my doctor for advice as so sick 4 days in , continuosly coughing , temperatures, sweats aches unable to eat and he said going by the amount of people contacting them , and from GPs observations to HSPC , cases are high in the community .

It seems a worse dose than Omicron for sure .for me anyway

With that was a little sick for a few days afaicr.

Nobody else sick in my house yet thankfully so maybe it's just me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 flipper2009

This one took me by surprise. Woke during 2 nights shivering and vomiting. I had what I thought was a sinus infection and headache during the day. I never even thought of COVID until I googled the chills. I had a positive antigen test. It's been going on for 4 or 5 days now and I'm very slowly feeling better, taking paracetamol. The symptoms are not THAT mild, probably not as bad as the first time I got it but still it's definitely worse than a cold….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's definitely circulating though it does seem to hit different people differently. I caught it about a month ago. I felt a bit flushed for a day or so and a runny nose for about three days. Someone else I know was out of action for two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Tested positive this morning. First time I've ever tested positive but probably had it in the past. The headache is just unreal since yesterday and paracetamol or neurofen don't seem to do anything! Also have fever with aches and pains and generally just feel so tired and horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Mam1996

2nd that @jaffa20 I tested positive with no symptoms on Thurs (tested before work because of family having it). Symptoms took off yesterday with high temperature, headache and joint pain, Neurofen and Paracetamol don't seem to make any difference. Going by the rest of the family they were sick for about 2 days, so I'm hoping today will spell the end of the worst of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭Heroditas

My daughter was sneezing a bit on Saturday afternoon and then felt unwell on Sunday before she perked up a bit and was back to normal on Monday. Turns out the other 5 girls on her table in school are struck down with COVID so either she had it and had very minor symptoms and shook it off after a day or whatever virus she had meant her immune system stopped her getting COVID like the other kids did. It certainly seems to be rampant in her class at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭I am me123

I tested negative, but still have a cough, feeling quite tired and a bit of a cold too. Anyone else with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I got it this summer (end of July) third time catching I think (plus multiple vaccines, I've lost count but TBF the last was about a year ago now)

TBH I wasn't terribly unwell, I only did the test because I have a bunch of unused covid tests in the house - well, no, also first off, it was because I did feel worse than with a normal cold, and had lost my sense of smell, so I did the test because it seemed like I might have covid. I don't do it every time I get a cold.

I felt quite unwell for three or four days, but wasn't stuck in bed. The odd thing is that nobody around me got it, not even my husband with whom I was sharing a bed. I moved into the spare room for a week when I got the positive test, but I'd been having symptoms for about three days before I tested, so ample time for him to be infected. Last time I got it he didn't get it either. He took the test that time (end of 2022) and was negative. This time he didn't even test, so I don't know if he was negative again or if he got it but was asymptomatic. So he's had it once, that we know of, and never since.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Maybe test again? First time I got it, I tested negative even after symptoms. Then I tested again about 3 days later (because I felt SO bad I thought "that has to be covid" - and it was) - that time the test was clearly positive, and another test a week later (this was when you needed to be negative before going back to work) was still positive.

Apparently with all the variants, some of the tests are no longer very sensitive to some variants, so you can get a negative test especially when the viral load isn't very high.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Advertisement