Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Pat Kenny on the radio this morning… "Uhh as they're digging up the road, why didn't they install a Luas line from Connolly to Clontarf…"

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Oh holy God. If only it was just THAT simple. Christ Almighty

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Paul2019

No doubt if the NTA had proposed putting in a Luas line, Mr Kenny and his Radio Show would have been fully supportive of the project.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He was serious about that, I mean not only would it completely use up all the road space, but there's already a Dart running out that way…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the post 2042 Luas network map published in the last GDA Transport Strategy has a Luas line going from Connolly to Fairview Park, then turning up the Malahide Road to head to Clongriffin, so it isn't that crazy.

It wouldn't take up road space as it would just replace the bus lane. Or rather the bus lane would become a mixed Luas/Bus lane.

I can see that turning into the "2082 Luas network map" by then maybe they will have Mag-lev tracks..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

We have a pretty excellent track record (LOL) of building out Luas lines. Relatively speaking they are pretty straight forward compared to mega projects like Metrolink and DART+.

The BusConnects Infrastructure project gets you most of the way in terms of a full bus route, it is then largely just upgrading the bus route by laying Luas tracks on the bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downtheroad

2042..ffs

This is needed today, not in 18 years. The volume of houses being built between Northern Cross and Malahide is huge, with a road resembling a country laneway serving the area. Traffic on the Malahide Road is often heavily backed up. A combined luas and bus lane would be a great service for the area.

New apartment block on the Malahide road doesn't have a car parking spot for every single apartment, just a few and expensive I heard?

Plus you can see on the South facing side there's what looks like a large set(s) of bike racks..

• Advertisement

It is unfortunate, but I believe it was a choice between Metrolink or more Luas lines. The folks who normally develop Luas lines are currently working on Metrolink, which is the biggest transport project in the history of the state.

The BusConnects Infrastructure project will improve the bus infrastructure before then and lay the ground work for future Luas line.

Plus you can see on the South facing side there's what looks like a large set(s) of bike racks..

Pretty much any apartment building built in the last 20 years or so is required to have lots of bike parking per planning permission. Often a lot more bike racks then car parking spaces.

BTW I'm not defending stupid comments made by Pat Kenny or anything like that. Just pointing out that there are plans for such a Luas line and I'd argue it does make a lot of sense.

I suspect, that in time all the core bus corridors into the city will be turned into shared bus/Luas lines. We really are approaching the limitations of the capacity of buses and bus corridors and need Luas to keep up, specially with likely ongoing driver shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

since the Luas network was proposed in the late 80s we've built 2 lines and a couple of short extensions. Granted that's more than we've managed with heavy rail or metro but it's hardly an excellent record. The fact that they're issuing documents showing what they might do in the 2040s is indication of the lack of real ambition - they might as well be talking about putting an Irish person on Mars for all the basis in reality is has. What we do have an excellent track record in is the production of plans and reports.

I always roll my eyes when people say things like it was in planning since the 80’s! Some vague concept existed in the 80’s in strategy plans, but that is meaningless. As late as 1998 the government were planning for the green line to go to the airport with a tunnel under the city!

Real planning on the lines we have today really only started 98/99, with the RPA being formed as an independent body in 2001 and construction begun the same year, with the lines opening in 2003.

It was remarkably fast from real planning to opening.

Once the money and political will is there, TII are remarkably professional at actually building out Luas lines quickly and with little fan fare.

The post 2042 network is quiet doable IMO, they are just busy with Metrolink at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The junction at The Crescent and Malahide Road is in an awful state. The cycle lane is to cross the junction. A no right turn, outbound, to The Crescent, should be implemented for safety. And they'll need to put in some measures to reduce speed drastically for anyone coming down Malahide Road who wants to turn left towards Clontarf. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

It always has been and some day someone will get killed crossing that road!

I suppose in terms of the cycle lane, they would argue that under the BusConnects plan for the Malahide road, that cycle path will be removed and instead routed down Brian Road.

Of course in reality 99% of cyclists will ignore it and continue to use it and it doesn’t do anything for pedestrians anyway.

I was thinking about how you would fix it properly and this is what I’d do:

• completely close the Marino crescent entrance and slip there.
    • There are two right turning lanes, turn one into a left turning lane
    • Then you would have a footpath directly to the bus stops, with no interaction with traffic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Had another look at the works at this junction, and they've already filled in most of the hole now, looks to making good progress. Of course, the progress that they've made has been more than wiped out by starting the same work around the corner on the Howth road 😂. Huge hole there now, with all the wires going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I was down there today, looks like it’s no right turn to the crescent outbound now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was away for 4.5 weeks till yesterday, I couldn't see any progress from Connolly to Strandville Ave, except the bus stop at Strandville having come along a bit. Newcomen Bridge still totally dug up with pipes and tubes exposed. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Apart from the big open holes, the rest seems to be in finishing mode. Most of the time-consuming paving looks finished, around Fairview anyway. I think September is about right for an end to works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,688 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Can't agree with that. There certainly has been progress between Talbot Street and the Five Lamps.

inbound was very busy this morning, as usual. great to see. hurry the feck up with outbound though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Looks like they did a lot of resurfacing around Edges corner overnight. First bit of the final surface I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

14 workers in hi viz there at lunch time. I might have to revise my timeline. 🤣

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, I think that they've prioritised this junction, for whatever reason. They were putting in new lampposts when I went past the other day, including taking up the concrete around a pole that was brand new, so not sure what they're doing there.

In terms of work left, they've got to finish the corner that they're working on, then there's the lights on the Bram Stoker Park side (I think, they may have done this side already), then road surfacing, but after that, it's done. The section from Alfie Byrne road to the Malahide Road junction will be completely done, with only minor works left. It's probably an aim of theirs to have a section to which they can point and say "This is done, both inbound and out!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We should have a Boards meet up when it’s finished to walk along the route discussing the particular merits and pitfalls of this project. Turns out I know the chief engineer. Maybe he could join us. 😎

Cusack's please.

I've noticed already that much of the newly laid footpath works have been dug up and just replaced with tarmac patches, it looks awful. This is normal for DCC but I hope they don't intend on leaving them this way.

I see the capacity of the cycle path has already been vastly exceeded then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I wonder what determines whether a cycle path capacity has been exceeded?

• Advertisement

Like the picture above shows, a large group exceeding the width of the narrow cycle path? Any other riders may find it faster to just use the road.

Advertisement