Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Cert for Firearms Certificate requested by AGS in Dublin

Options
  • 31-05-2024 4:11pm
    Administrators Posts: 368 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Future of Irish Gun Laws?.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Maybe this thread isn’t the right place for this post and it deserves a thread of its own, I will let the mods decide. Anyway here goes:

I have a friend that lives in a particular area in Dublin (I’m happy to provide more details to the mods as I would like to protect my friend’s anonymity), he has a number of unrestricted firearms. The local firearms officer called him recently and informs him that in order to process his renewal he must provide the Gardai with a certificate from his GP stating that he is fit to possess firearms. When he queried this he was told that this was a new requirement that would be applied to all licensed firearms holders in his district at the direction of the superintendent.

I would question the legality of such a blanket requirement. I called the NARGC about this and was told that they had reports of this happening in another part of the country but when challenged the requirement was dropped.

I have a number of concerns about this. First of all I suspect that some GP’s may be unwilling to provide such a document on the basis that they simply don’t know the person in question. There was several periods in my life where I would not have seen my GP for years. Also there is a cost associated with this. Let’s not forget that license holders have already granted the Gardai access to their medical records!

I would be interested in what others think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Mod- Definitely it's own thread 😉

Personal opinion, question the requirement with the FO first:
    - Why is it being requested of all licence holders?
    - Will that be the basis of a refusal if the request is not complied with?
    - Why are AGS not doing their own enquiries(as the box on the form grants them leave to) with your GP?

This all just feels like yet another bright idea from a Super who is not looking at the end result.
    Even if you were into your GP somewhat regularly(monthly, I don't know what regular visits to a doc would qualify as?) unless they are evaluating you psychologically every time(assuming they have the necessary training to do so beyond medical school), rather than treating you for the rash/flu/rusty nail lodged in your foot/etc you came in for, I don't see how this could assist their(AGS) decision making in any way… I mean what is the intended result here.

Maybe a CYA for the mental health aspect by the Super, but short sighted and extremely stupid to clog up GP surgeries(assuming you can get an appointment for this nonsense) for one, and for another the shooter's money, €50 for a piece of pointless paper.

Extremely well thought out plan of action as usual from AGS 🤣

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭17hmr1

I would imagine you'd find it hard for a doctor to sign off on any certificate that requires them to state you're fit to hold a firearms licence even if they thought you were.

Think about the absolute sh1te show for that doctor's reputation if someone who they signed a cert for did something wrong,it could destroy them.Could someone take a civil case against them if they were hurt by a firearms holder whom they said was ok to have said firearm.

The system whereby you are suitable from your past and future actions seems the most suitable even if there's always a chance of something bad happening but that is the case even with doctors cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭freddieot

You'll probably get a letter saying there is no medical indication that the doctor had observed that might disqualify you from possessing a firearm. However, I'd be very surprised if any medical professional stated they felt you were fit to possess any firearm. More absolute nonsense from AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Tell your friend to inform his FO/Super he already had stated permission to inquire of his GP on any medical queries as stated on the disclaimer of medical confidiality paragraph on the application and to use that and FO and stop exceeding his lawful authority on this with make up legislation .IOW if the Super wants info he can go get it from the GP and stop messing around.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭.243

sounds like this is coming from a recent story in the uk,where a firearms holder had his guns confiscated,but wouldn’t be released back to him unless he could provide a letter from a phycologist which he can’t get,so he’s stuck in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

And if it is that Super is basing it off that idea,well then we are not in the UK ,so its irrelevant to the applicant, the Super can get any medical info he wants already under the legislation,its not up to us to provide it because he has staffing problems to pick up a phone or just wants to be a bollix about it.

Also, there has been a DC case about this already with the Super refusing licenses because he believed the applicant suffered PTSD from finding a workmate hanging in the work garage,and wouldn't release said licenses until he went to a chosen celeb psychologist[and anti gun] of the choice of the super. It didn't work out well for the super in court.Esp as these were restricted liscenses,but strangely he was ok in granting this possibly self harming or dangerous PTSD sufferer an unrestricted liscense .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

It is not really signing off on a certificate, it is a letter stating :

"There is no medical reason why Joe Bloggs cannot own a firearm"

Same as a medical report for a driving license.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭freddieot

It's not really the same though. When you get sign off for a driving license the doctor can easily determine your eyesight and physical capability, right there and then.

How can they state there is no medical reason you can't own a firearm. I don't believe anyone could provide that, even a psychiatrist, without extensive testing and evaluation, probably over multiple consultations.

• Advertisement

We write reports all the time, fit to work , unfit to work, fit to drive etc, We can only do on the evidence;, history and examination , past medical history etc.

It is more difficult to tell if someone has intemperate habits, and generally it is not a medical diagnosis.

Generally those who "go postal" have no medical reason for doing so, they have some personality disorder, - just bad people.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

There's one thing being missed here and I feel it's a valid reason as to why the applicant is being asked to do this.

AGS have your consent to speak to your doctor about medical history. They can do this if they want, that's what we all signed and agreed to on our applications. For AGS to do this, they have to request a report from your GP. How much does a Doctors report cost AGS? Easily over €100. Way cheaper/cost efficient to ask you to get it and as such say, well, you want a licence, go get the doc cert. Plus they've ticked a box saying they have checked your medical history.

I was asked for one years ago when I was living in a different area, new to the area. My GP gave me a hurriedly written letter, no cost. Seemed annoyed that AGS were looking for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭garrettod

You'd have to wonder if there's been any sort of agreement reached between the Gardai and the Medical Profession on the format of these letters, turnaround times, costs etc.

You'd also be inclined to contact the various shooting representative bodies, incl. IFA Countryside and the NARGC, to see what their experience is, in relation to this.

While I think it important the everyone take a cooperative approach when asked for info., I also think that a uniform approach is equally important, so everyone is treated the same.

Finally, is there any medical history that the Gardai specifically needed to consider, in this case?

Thanks,

G.

You'd have to wonder if there's been any sort of agreement reached between the Gardai and the Medical Profession on the format of these letters, turnaround times, costs etc

Nope As there is no mechanisms for it in legislation. The legislation simply states AGS are entitled to make quieries off your medical professionals on any matters that might concern aGS in granting a liscense. Nothing about you the applicant having to provide any such information, certs,notes etc. Asking for such is exceeding the Supers lawful authority in this matter and basically should be mentioned to them that its up to them to make such inquiries under the law,as you have given them full permission to do so.

While I think it is important the everyone takes a cooperative approach when asked for info., I also think that a uniform approach is equally important, so everyone is treated the same

Yeah , simple. Don't cooperate in giving AGs more power than they legally have in this issue. Give in on this they come back wanting something again that is outside the parameters of the legislation. We play by the rules as laid down in this game on both sides and not give them the freedom to quare the pitch as they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

ANd so by asking an applicant to get something off their GP, they've saved significant expense.

Sorry,I don't get this. Do you mean aGS has to pay 243.60 for a doctor's report? Or that when aGS write up a report on something for civvies they charge the above fee?

Generally those who "go postal" have no medical reason for doing so, they have some personality disorder, - just bad peopl e

Just for an interest point on this check out the number of mass shooters who were on or off possibly,lithium-based meds in the US. Something like 85 to 90% were on medication that had Lithium in there somewhere. US doctors and psychologists seem to scatter these pills out to people over there like sweets at a party and stuff that we can only get over the counter as prescriptions in the EU , seemingly is freely available in any US pharmacists,or bought from Canada or Mexico. It would be really intresting to se what an EU medical professional would make of the medical cases of some of these mass shooters on diagonisis and treatments.

if I write a reports for the gardai, they pay me €243.60,

do you have a link to the lithium association?

• Advertisement

Not giving you a short answer ,but just Google it .There are at least200 hits of various papers and websites of medical and psychiatric organisations on the topic pro and con opinions." Riatlin and Prozac use and mass shootings" or same phrase with lithium based meds

Severe psychosis is associated with less than 5% of mass shootings , and while there may be some association with depression, given it is a common disease I do not believe there is causative association.

https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/news/mass-shootings-and-mental-illness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Local FO said that they needed a letter from my Doctor confirming I was a patient on his list.

Now, as it happens my Doc refuses to write such letters, but is happy to stamp the Firearms Application form with the Practice Stamp and sign it.

Which is what he did, (€5), and the FO accepted it without comment. (Cavan)

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

You are getting scientific information from the "Gulag Pundit"??

Seriously?

"AmericanGulag.org is a project of Jim Hoft for the benefit of the public and to provide sunshine and publicity to the scores of political prisoners wrongfully imprisoned as a result of the protest on January 6th."

Post edited by Chiparus on

Yes, when MSM won't cover it, much like vax injuries and deaths, which have now been admitted and vax withdrawn from market, again only reported "those" sites and not by MSM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

Advertisement