Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The relevance is the post I was replying to . Which was discussing a clip on the news about the worlds refugees and where they end up .

You took my reply out of context for your response to me .

Happy to discuss it if you want to admit that .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Admit what?

I didn’t take anything out of context - I took your points on the refugee crisis and applied them to Ireland? And pointed out that in Ireland’s case we are totally at odds with what is being observed in general?

I don’t understand what your issue is.

Here ..

You took my comment which talked about the majority of refugees , mainly women and children not travelling too far from their home countries as per the report , and wrongly made the correlation between the men travelling to Ireland saying our "system is broken " .

My issue with that is that this is the same with all the countries further away from the conflict not just Ireland .

So as you seem to want to double down on this I will leave it here , no point getting into a circular argument .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Maybe that’s because Mullooly distanced himself from comments made by his party colleagues during the campaign and insisted that he does not believe Ireland is full. He is also quoted as saying…

“I support the right of those fleeing conflict and oppression to seek asylum here but feel our present system is not fit for purpose“

So he he wants the process speeded up, who doesn’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

System shouldn't be sped up, it should be radically overhauled. Detention centre's, proper and thorough back ground checks and deportations or further dentention if they don't comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

So people aren’t allowed to draw relevant comparisons and distinctions about things that are germane to this thread?

What I said was an entirely valid point to note, will you ever give over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Who ever said anything about a majority?? What I've been reading here and responding to are a range of assertions from the usual suspects that anyone who stood for the elections on anything resembling a 'reservation about immigration' platform - was thrashed and consigned to the dustbin of history in so many words.

And that is clearly not the case, many such candidates like many others may not have been elected in the final count. But they garnered substantial support and the main parties will have taken note of this significant trend. The winds of change are a blowin.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Juran

EU law in place for free trade between members. Ireland ignore it daily and imposes VRT (a taffif) on cars brought in from the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭baldbear

Fair play to the groups who directed all the lads to camp beside taste of Dublin/Merrion square. Smart thinking. Accommodate them quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't expect much, but having two centrist politicians in office will be an improvement on the Greens and Wallace/Daly. It certainly won't make things any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭Augme

They don't ignore it. There's no charge for importing an EU car.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The tents that keep appearing around canal and Mount Street, are they being moved to Crooksling etc. then just coming back? Or are these new IPA's each time does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I'd say new mostly as there's a few hundred arriving weekly. I see them quite regularly with suitcases around the city centre (The Lighthouse place on Pearse Street seems to get a good few daily).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Fine weather for camping but this is going to be a disaster come winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Tourist season will be over by then, so they will find plenty greedy hotel owners willing to accommodate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have a question about Indian and Bangladeshi AS.

South Korea, Singapore, etc. have very low fertility rates.

India and Bangladesh are closer to SK than they are to Ireland.

There are no direct flights from Ireland to India, AFAIK.

Why do the Indians travel all the way to a small island off the coast of Europe?

Why don't they claim asylum in a closer country, e.g. Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea?

Why do the Indians pass by loads of other countries, and then claim asylum in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Women and kids from a country with a real war, needing to make room for young lads from Middle East and Africa who hate pretty much everything about us, but can’t find jobs in their local hellhole that ended up like that precisely due to that lack of culture and education

Mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭Augme

But I thought they were all living in houses and that's why we've a housing crisis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's difficult for them alright. They are though 'guests of the nation' and whilst they may or may not be paying something towards their accommodation, it's the state which has to manage the accommodation contracts. Clearly they should get reasonable notice but likewise I don't see how there can be a guarantee that as a war refugee you're housed in one place and that's it, you stay there indefinitely. When the state mismanages such resources, it also gets a lot of criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I could be wrong but I doubt there's any Indian or Bangladeshi IPAs on the thread to answer your question.

You could try going out and meeting some?

They're just people like me and you after all.

You'd get an interesting new perspective on the world, and you might even make a new friend.

Germany getting tough, or appearing to on migrants, due to the rise in support for the AFD (FAR RITE)

They must work 4 hours a day to keep benefits, while only getting a card to use within a certain region to buy goods etc. They've also blocked them from transferring money back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Doesn't look that tough tbf.

I'm considered an open border lefty and I've been saying community service would be a great idea. Plus the guys in the video are quite positive and joking about it.

Half their payments are still in cash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Have ya got room in your wardrobe. Might be able to stick a few in there.

Along with their extented family of 40 when they arrive.

Remember this boys. History will tell a very sad story into the future of the clowns orchestrating and promoting this lunacy.

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

Not in mine, but plenty of room in south Dublin

Isn't it ironic the name the brand of these tents is called *Trespass* 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

🤣 haha well if thats not an indication. Nothing is

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Obviously immigration adds to the demand for housing. There is no debate about that. People who say the opposite are deluded, or they want to ignore the truth.

My question is not so much about legal immigration by Indians (nurses, ICT, etc.), but Indians making asylum claims here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

None of the residents expect to be there indefinitely, but they deserved a reasonable level of notice.
    There is a housing crisis and almost nothing to rent in Shannon. With a longer period of notice some may have been able to make arrangements and keep their jobs.
    This move means residents will lose their jobs and be sent to a rural village that already has way too many immigrants, rather than staying in an industrial town that can more easily absorb them and where many companies have labour shortages.

it’s bad for Lisdoonvarna, for Shannon, for the refugees and for their employers.

I didn’t mention it above, but it is a severe move on kids who are already traumatised.

The Government are a disaster, after years of being overly generous, they now want to look tough and end up being cruel to people who already lost everything just two years ago.

It is a genuine disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

"Indians making asylum claims here."

It's very rare for Indians to seek asylum in Ireland or elsewhere. I think you may be confusing them with Pakistanis??

For the record, the chief claimants in Ireland at this time in order of their numbers, are Nigeria, Algeria, Afghanistan, Georgia and Somalia.

One of the things I find very worrying is that asylum seekers and refugees can exchange their driving licences for an Irish one. The idea that people who don't even know the rules of the road in Ireland, have never driven on the left side and come from countries with appalling road safety records, are simply allowed to drive here is sheer madness. But of course making them take mandatory driver education course and sit an Irish driving test would cost even more tax payers' money.

Another poster was saying the other day that Irish people needed to be educated regarding immigration. If you want a good source of reliable information regarding the asylum procedure, this report has everything you need, published in December 2023 so fairly up to date. It's a long read but worth it if you are concerned about what's happening.

There is a very good table on page 13 that gives an excellent overview of the asylum application process.

On page 25 there is a breakdown of the infamous White Paper proposal detailing the two phase accommodation mooted by O'Gorman.

As you can see, in phase two, that own door accommodation was to include private tenancies. Approved housing bodies are also mentioned. This is rather vague. Does it include social housing? Either way, one can see that if this model were to proceed, it would no doubt result in inequalities between Irish citizens (be they ethnically Irish or otherwise Irish) and people with no permanent right to remain in the country. Housing that could and should be available to Irish citizens would be offered to asylum seekers.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/libraryResearch/2023/2023-12-11_l-rs-note-refugees-in-ireland-the-eu-and-worldwide-refugees-in-ireland_en.pdf

Advertisement