Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Good to Go - Food App

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PublicBen

Moldova Stores Coolmine, Dublin.
    The boiled meat product is definitely to my taste but other than that nothing to complain about. Decent dates on all.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I've used TGTG for over 2 years now and with very few exceptions, have got really good food. The one thing that irks me is the shops that forget to cancel and tell you they have no bag when you turn up. I feel that if there is a rule for buyers, the same should apply to stores.

My favourites are Whelans, the meat is excellent and you can freeze almost everything.

Sprout. They have large salad bowls that keep fresh for 2-3 days and big enough for 2

Cornucoppia, a rare treat when I can get my hand on one, always excellent

Tartine bakery, enough bread for a family for a week just slice and freeze the loaves

Queen of Tarts have very good cakes but the bag is small, no way the full value is 15€

On the other hand, Hansel and Gretel bakeries are very generous

I tried Keoghs cafe once, they gave me so much food I shared with the homeless I passed by

KC Peaches let you fill 2 medium boxes from their salad and hot food bars. Not amazing, but good enough

The Hopsack and the Fumbally are a bit random, they feel like lucky dip bags. Some great items, some not so great. I got 2 avocados once that were beyond edible, and a funky looking root veg that I assumed was a turnip

Aldi and SuperValu went from great to downright terrible, so I gave up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭gussieg

Yeo agree about Aldi the only one I still enjoy are from a few bakery /cafes and the applegreen m and s not all branches but some good .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭gussieg

and if you’re out late and they’re available, boojum quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Moving2017

This is a great review.

I considered Hansel and Gretel but never managed to nab one on a day that suited.

I had a very poor experience in sprout, only received a half full bowl that wouldn’t even do as a lunch portion, it was disappointing as I’ve been before for lunch and generally the portions are decent but I found the TGTG one very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

My last experience from Sprout on Exchequer street was a large bowl, another single portion of sweet potato in spicy mayo, and 2 slices of bread. Definitely enough to fill 2 of us up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Whelans is excellent but you need to be lucky to get it

Aldi I gave up on

Have a salads supplier near me who are good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭feargantae

Boojum are excellent. They recently put up their price to €5.05 but it's still cracking value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got a couple of Whelan's bags.

10 &15 euro respectively

Their sharing plates are lovely. But some of them say they are not suitable for freezing (the chicken one in particular).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

I got an Aldi one lately, was pretty crap apart from a beautiful sirloin roast that did 2 dinners..so a winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭djan

That just makes and that texture or flavour might be negatively impacted. You can freeze anything really and it will be safe to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 FootFree

Anyone's Aldi cancelled tonight. Landed in n no swipe green bar, sales staff rang thro on his headset and he was told tell me to go into my bags and find it that way. Yes I did but unfortunately I find the store had cancelled. The staff while apologetic didn't know about it and confusion entailed as the boxes were ready and packed. Seems it HQ. They decided unfortunately they couldn't do anything about it as I'd get a refund in two weeks. I got no notification or email re it. Never had that happen before. I find the Aldi bags excellent and I use a variety of stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

Aldi tonight, I ordered 2 there was loads on the app.

A lady beside me gave me stuff she wouldn't use

Some haul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ECookie13

^ considering its 2 bags, for 8Euro, it's decent!
    Any of the lesser used Aldi's that do 75% on tons of food daily is the way to go, not these hit-and-miss bags off the app and having to wait around until 10 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Harika

Moldova shop in Cork, staff didn't know fully about it so brought it together on the spot. Anyway give me out of date rice or sweet all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭applejunkie

Anyone want a small bag from James Whelan in Carrickmines . Needs to be collected by 6 today . I thought I was heading in that direction today but didn't .

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Sorry if this is already asked/answered, and it's probably a big secret :)

But how the hell do I get a Whelan's bag? What time of the day is the best time to go on the app? I've saved a few different locations as favourites but I've never seen them available, always sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They'd need to be logged in to your account to collect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

you can share pickup now, sending a link to a friend/family member

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Murt10

I bought a surprise bag from Aldi in Clonee earlier today. To be collected 9.30pm to 10.00pm.

I arrived at 9.37 only to find that my order had been cancelled.

I won't be wasting my time, energy and petrol on that again.

• JW Blanchardstown. Tenner bag.

Lamb thing was nice. Not worth 12 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I've noticed that a couple of my go to TGTG options have stopped doing them eg my local Lolly and Cooks and Art of Coffee. Other branches of them are still doing it so I'm not sure why they stopped. There's also a bakery I go to fairly regularly which used to be very generous and are now doing the bare minimum to get to the supposed 12 eur value.

I noticed Lolly and Cooks in Dublin 2 stopped which is a pity, as it was a really good bag!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If it was the Lolly & Cooks counter in George's Street Arcade, that is something else now, I noticed it last time I was in Dublin.

Nope, it’s the one beside Grand Canal Theatre. I have forgotten there was on the Arcade.

Got that lamb thing before and totally agree. Nice but wouldn’t have paid full price for it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

And I didn't know there was one down at Grand Canal 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭CKrules

Nice haul today from Swan Centre

Large and a small bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its really going from a "lets get rid of some expired food cheaply" thing, to a "how can we make as much money as possible out of this" thing.

Like Aldi going from 75% to 50% reductions. Or Lidl dropping their 40c or 1e deals and going for 50% off instead.

Advertisement