Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental illness

• 14-06-2024 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I was talking with a friend on the weekend and she said her sister recently starting nursing. She made a close group of friends and was considering revealing her addiction problems until one of them made very disparaging remarks against a patient who they thought was a drug seeker.

It made me think about how a lot of "mental health awareness" is just lip service.Things have definitely gotten better in terms of stigma but I imagine it would be very unwise to reveal a mental illness and even an addiction problem to your coworkers/boss especially in certain jobs. I wonder how prevalent the stigma is in society.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I do agree. A lot of “Mental Health Awareness” campaigns in workplaces are nothing more than virtue signalling and box ticking exercises in order to cover their asses and make themselves look good. In reality however most places see anyone with a mental health issue as nothing more than a hindrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I have agree with this statement

I suffer myself and I was given a cert by my GP for a month for MH issues.

And when I went back and few people asked about me but majority feel I’m weak and a hinderance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

job I was in they had a ‘mental health advocate’ for each department.

Just regular employees who had done a two or so day course and came back thinking that they were the love child of Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung.

When it was pointed out to them about staff / supervisors who were bullying employees…. And the mental health impacts endured by people because of that……They shut those conversations down, didn’t want to know…. But fair play they had really important stuff like the set up a mindfulness zone in a disused office where there were a few posters, books and… well posters and books… 🤪

all ‘ theatre ‘ that was supposedly to give the impression that they gave a shît.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Your poor friend and her sister. I’m a bit shocked to think that anyone could have reacted negatively to a (presumably active) addiction revelation, particularly in a nursing role. What is the world coming to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Not saying the op is not legit but people don't tend to suddenly start nursing. But I agree with Jequon, working in healthcare with an addiction is not good for anyone so maybe it's time your friend got some help with that.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Don't tell colleagues anything personal like that, you don't know who you can trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Your health, mental and physical, is a private matter. Newsbags in jobs with nothing going on in their own lives will broadcast and embellish anything they hear. Other more malicious people will use it to get ahead.
    Talk about the weather or any other generic topics. Be wary of anyone who overshares too. It can be a tactic to get you to reveal something personal too.

Get on with your work colleagues but don’t tell them your life story.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Nurses are a funny crowd. I find them cold as ice and more closely knit than sisters.

I was brought up to believe they are the kindest most down to earth people with the best of intentions. Life experience has taught me they are cold vicious men haters and you leave you go to your death rather than try help you. Bare in mind in my extended family three of my aunts were nurses and four cousins.

Its something handed down as part of their training from the religious orders.

you won't sleep tonight now because the giant succubus nurse will have heard your disparaging remarks and come looking for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

….

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lots of people have issues that make them a hindrance in the workplace.

Some are stupid and don't understand the job. Some are ugly and don't work well with customers. Some have arthritis so can't walk very fast and don't get much done. Some have mood disorders which mean they cannot react appropriately in situations.

The ideal is for each person to get a job where their particular issues aren't a problem. Finding jobs like that can be especially hard for people with mental illnesses, because their condition often affects their behaviour in ways that make colleagues feel mentally unsafe.

Mental health awareness is ike hygiene awareness: Reminding people to wash their hands (practise mindfulness) is a general preventative, but it's no help for someone who already has influenza (a psychosis episode).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

This whole 'attack the post, not the poster' craic is difficult when presented with this kind of rubbish!

Edit - I'm referring to the post above mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I got a good laugh from this post 😅

In all fairness though, there are still one or two vile auld nurse managers still around who are a hangover from when the religious orders were firmly in control of the hospitals. I’ve had issues with one myself and I can’t wait for the day she finally retires. Most of the nurses in my department are really lovely people though, a few Irish and a lot of Filipino nurses. They do fantastic work with patients there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Know your audience

Revealing weakness is something we shouldn't do lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Filipino nurses are nice but always found healthcare professionals from India quite arrogant and high handed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd say the OP is made up - but anyway, the last group of people I'd admit any "weakness" to would be female nurses or healthcare assistants. Any sign of weakness will be leveraged against you. If you are also female and younger/better looking than they are, even worse. Healthcare has far too many bitchy, obnoxious, manipulative people. The likes of Molly Martens would fit right in in nursing alongside the likes of Lucy Letby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

Hi, I'm Bressie and I beat depression. All I needed to do it was having things to live for, a wide support network of family and friends, a decent amount of money and good looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

that’s nicely put. It should appear on canteen doors and screensavers or contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

I think a lot of it is lip service but also I think that there is not alot of help there in general and I think that there is only so much help that can be given to a person with mental health issues.

The reality of dealing with someone with mental health issues is not easy. The 'awareness' campaigns can almost romanticize it in a way. What actual help is available in reality?

• Advertisement

The thing is mental illness and mental health problems are not mutually exclusive. I keep hearing an add for an RTE documentary with some comedian (can you tell I won't watch tv) and it starts out with the line, "everyone suffers from mental health" and that's just the truth. Everyone at some point in their lives will suffer from some kind of mental health issue, whether thats grief from loss, anxiety or stress or depression and related symptoms. These are the things we all need to be aware of. Sometimes just being aware that it's normal is enough for a person to reach out and talk to someone or decide to get some help with that so they can begin to lead healthier lives again. There could be entirely innocuous reasons like the loss of a spouse, job, failure of exams, bullying, domestic abuse, a physical condition…this list goes on. People need to know that's normal. Work places need to understand that people are normal.

Mental illness covers a whole raft of conditions, some of which can be lifelong and debilitating often requiring hospitalization or clinical treatment. These may be classed as a disability and would need to be taken into consideration as such in a workplace environment too for health and safety reasons, but not particularly as part of an awareness campaign in order to highlight mental wellbeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Like some others on this thread, I’m a little cynical on organisations providing “mental health awareness” training and supports - but on balance it’s probably a good thing, as long as you explore the quality support links provided and take some steps to get the help you need,

You don’t have to tell anyone in the organisation - I think the primary purpose of providing such supports such as EAP counselling etc is to encourage employees to get well- it’s not that they start confessing their mental health illness to their fellow workers.

Advertisement