Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

In the same podcast the other guest said "they play a great brand of rugby", I almost laughed out loud. Do any of these people actually watch our games?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ShineyShiney

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Any ex-player in the media you're safe enough assuming you know a heck of a lot more about Connacht than them lads, this is established for years. The above is a classic of the genre, we played a great brand under Pat Lam and it's the go-to cliche ever since. remember O'Driscoll criticizing a Caolan Blade performance before eventually admitting he hadn't seen the game, or Luke Fitzgerald listing out Jarrad Butler's achievements when asked about Colby Fa'ainga making the team of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

I've heard Jackman talk comment about Connacht's underperformance a few times recently. The general gist of his argument has been that Connacht players have been making lots of poor individual errors that the coaches have limited control over. I get the impression that he thinks we have a mentally weak squad lacking in player leadership. He has also said that out coaching team need to look at our gameplan because elements of it clearly aren't working.

Unless you're an Irish rugby legend you need to keep the IRFU and most of the provinces on side if you want long-term career as a pundit or journalist. You'll run out of things to say very fast if you put noses out of joint. Jackman does waffle a bit at times but at least he watches our games, has played provincial rugby to a decent level, and has coached struggling sides where the squad and budget were issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

great to see the team out letting off some steam doing Karaoke in Sally Longs last night, they're only human after all ! long hard season, best of luck to them and onwards to next season 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭kita99

Congratulation Connacht four young players (Flynn, Gavin, Treacy, Naughton) who are selected for u20 world championship. Please care not to get any injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

That could end up being a really really good cohort.

Irish provincial rugby season was over.

So When Connacht begin summer (real training only) camp? Connacht should begin it earlier than other province as possible. I think that already they (especially young players) take their breaks long enough. For the good starting of the next season, they must win at the first match vs Munster (away). IRFU (or Humphreys) seems to have little interest in Connacht as far as I courd read their first public interview. (It may only my impression) He said 'I'll not move a player against their will'. So Connacht must help themselves and the thing that Connacht (who have too small money) can do super-hard physical and individual skill-up training only imo. And I think maybe Connacht can not find and invite any experienced NIQ out-half player at even short-term loan. So I hope Wilkins should use West, Naughton or Forde at the position. Connacht must forge them strictly as sooner as possible. On the other hand, according to the Independent's article about Irish summer tour's squad, only Aki and Bealham will be selected. (this is the prediction of Indo reporter ) If it's true that means Connacht could use Hansen, Cian Prendergast from the first match of the new season alongside Devine, Cordero, Murrays and others. If Connacht implement early starting of super hard-training, they will start strongly at the next season. I expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭testtech05

Couple of surprises in the Irish squad for SA. Bladey getting in is a big shock to me based on this season thought he was below his best for a lot of the games since Christmas. Hopefully it can give him some coinfidence going into next season.

Delighted to see Cian involved with Bundee and Finlay aswell

Yeah I though he had a poor season, and is probably lucky there's not a lot of options at the moment. The likes of McGrath and Doak weren't great either. He's a good player though, hopefully some time in a Farrell camp will help him rediscover his confidence. Personally I think captaincy was a burden on him, but no way of knowing that for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'd agree 100% about the captaincy. I think that it was too much for him and I don't think that he has the right temperament for it either - pissed off a few refs this season with his carry-on.

I'm glad that The Independent'predict was wrong and C.Prendergast and Blade was selected. Both were most many appearance two in the team. I hope that other youg players follow them next season through getting more stronger at physicalty and higer skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

There's still a good player in Blade but like a lot of players he's lost his way in the predictable nature of the attacking game used by this regime. His frustration was getting the better of him the more the season wore on. He's definitely just holding the tackle bags in this tour though. For Ireland the lack of depth outside Gibson Parkes is a worry but medium term is an opportunity for lads like Devine if he's managed right.

It genuinely puzzles me what Wilkins will do at scrum half next year. Competition is good but a glut of players for one position with not enough games isn't.

Blade is obviously still number one choice for Farrell. Murphy looks a promising player to me anytime I've seen him and if he's been sent here he's obviously been given reassurances about game time. I guess he was recruited before they belatedly gave Devine his chance but even allowing for that its a complete mismanagement of resources with Reilly who is a capable player in his own right still in the squad. It leaves us top heavy with scrum half options when we are crying out for investment throughout a number of positions especially at out half.

We are flailing around now trying to find an out half when that should have been priority going back a few years never mind since Hanrahan got injured.

In terms of captaincy i don't see any leader of men in this squad tbh. Lots of good players and good people but no obvious go to person. Prendergast leads by example but doesn't strike me as a captain and Joyce seems like a good character within the squad but I think his best days are done. There isn't an obvious candidate who starts most games to fill the void for me and given the downward spiral we are in this worries me hugely.

There are only 1,760 guaranteed minutes available next season (18 URC and 4 Challenge Cup games). Blade played 1,279 this season, if he played the same again that could leave just 481 minutes to be distributed between three young players who need gametime to develop. I do think we'll ease Blade's workload, but even so it's hard to see him playing less than 1,000 mins, barring injuries.

I can see Reilly being discarded. It's unfortunate, but he's about to turn 25, and looks to be far from comfortable at pro level. You'd imagine Devine will start the season as second choice, and get decent time to impress, but as always injuries will likely have a big say in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Good points. I agree on the captaincy situation, but I'd be inclined to give Prendergast the role - he absolutely leads by example, and I suspect he wouldn't be slow to pull lads up if he had a bit of extra authority. He's also a natural when it comes to dealing with the public, especially the kids at home games, where he routinely signs autographs and does selfies for whoever wants one, even if that means hanging around for quite a while after a game has ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

Jackman saying we're close to a NIQ 10 on twitter. Any idea who that could be? Can't imagine we've too much cash to be splashing on signings with the stadium redevelopment.

https://x.com/bernardjackman/status/1803512542741872868

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

There was chat of Aaron Cruden going to Ulster for a year until they picked up Morgan. I wonder if it could be him ?

I heard that he has played in Japan 22~23 season. But the result was a bit dissapointed.

JUst read an article saying he and his wife are having another baby soon and it was not the time to move to irelan. I take it its not him from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

How about Rhys PATCHELL? Playing for Highlanders, 362 min this season, started 6 games…

Might be tough get him on a loan..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

He got a one year deal so he is free agent, I think…

He is an excellent player I'd love to see him in Galway. Has any Welsh player ever played for Connacht or any of the other provinces ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He was excellent for the Highlanders this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

As redo91 says matt jarvis played for connacht about a decade ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Of Course Marmion too !

• Advertisement

Congratulation, Connacht womens. 6 players is selected for WU20 match squads. (Kiripati, Maher, Ovaiawe, Barrett, Clarke, Ni Dhonnacha) I can't wait the match day against England. Wishing you all best of luck.

And I hope players who was not selected that don't get disappointed. The competition way continues for long time from this.

Advertisement