Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Elections 2024 - Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭BQQ

I’d take all the celebrities over Barry Cowan

His drunk driving was forgotten about with all the far-right candidates

He’s not fit to represent Ireland in any capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭MFPM

That's nonsense. Of course if they didn't speak or attend meeting is they'd be critiqued. They could have been like a poll topper who signs in and goes home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I actually agree with you on this tbh. But there's an irony though, you entirely discount the criticisms they're rightfully facing in relation to propaganda on Ukraine et... That's not a legit criticism in your eyes for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭wassie

They're gone. There's really no need to be defending those charlatans any more….

Yet it's those who critique them can't let go! Highly amusing 🤣

• Advertisement

Drink driving is not to be condoned at all but I'm not sure it should disbar you from standing for election. That said this type of activity seems to be more readily forgiven in rural areas than it would be in urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eudaimonia

They went for the contrarian anti establishment vote but they went too far. Luckily, and I didn’t see this coming, the people from WexFord and Ireland south hate Dublin and Brussels slightly less than Moscow since it invasion of Ukraine.

Perhaps the influx of Ukrainian refugees insured that. A short sharp dose of tragedy on their doorsteps stopped them taking the piss out of the Dubs.

And what a wake up call it was for many of the Nessas and granny’s around the country. Devs ireland looked a lot less attractive when peppered with a dose of foreign displacement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Greengrass53

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Everyone thinks that in these elections getting rid of Cowen is the bonus Martin and the Government. Micheal McNamara is another bonus. In the last election Ff and FG got 2 seats in the 4 seater Clare constituency. With McNamara gone and SF struggling will they get all four seats the next time, definitely three I would imagine.

Aodhan O'Riordan also gives the government a chance of holding one each whether stands or not in the GE.

Little things matter.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

From 2022 but had interesting points

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/how-clare-daly-and-mick-wallace-became-stars-of-authoritarian-state-media-1.4854028

It's an example of how Daly and her close political ally Mick Wallace have become staples of state-controlled media in the Russian, Chinese, and Arabic languages since they were elected to the European Parliament, coverage in which they are presented as important international figures who confirm regime positions.
    A 10-month investigation by The Irish Times to track the international footprint of the two MEPs has revealed their outsized profile in the state-controlled media operations of various authoritarian regimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Ultimately it came down to EGO. Loved the association and the controversy. Thought they were important. They weren’t. Two scruffy fcukers is all they are. Good riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

not going down the machine route and keeping the system as it is has the following advantages :-

(1) Saves on foreign exchange

(2) no storage costs

(3) no maintenance costs - during and between elections

(4) gives employment to locals

(5) it is a tradition that is ALMOST exclusive to Ireland and creates a ‘bit’ of excitment. And because of its exclusivity I could see it becoming An ELECTION FESTIVAL - think music/cultural/arts/sports/etc, festivals. If so, then we are into more economic activity and a bit of foreign exchange earning. Some geniuses with their thinking caps on may be able to make it happen. No matter what way you look at it, it’s an exciting time

In the immortal words of young Elsa...'let it go, let it go'....though it's highly amusing reading the haters with their tired clichéd, childish and cowardly abuse...🤣🤣

In the immortal words of young Elsa...'let it go, let it go'....though it's highly amusing reading the haters with their tired clichéd, childish and cowardly abuse...🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Apart from anything else, Daly looks like she stinks.

Yeah imagine critiques of Western Imperialism carried in media hostile to Western Imperialism...shocking, messanger allegedly invalidates the message does it? ....wait until they hear about Mickey Martin welcoming President Xi to Ireland and begging him to resume beef exports, but at least we don't trade with the Saudi Arabia - theocracy. Oh wait! human rights abuses, what human rights abuses? Away with your nonsense..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

You could have just wrote

“whataboutism” and left it at that

The far left are not capable of debate that doesn’t instantly fallback to using this technique

Tho the people’s have spoken now anonymously and voted these clowns out

But if you want to engage in whataboutery he is one for you

Whataboutism Daly supporting Assad and Putin for the ten years they bombed the crap out of Syria and killed more Palestinian refugees there than the IDF would ever dream of, the same Palestinians Daly claims to support

You could have just said 'I agree with you, you're spot on' and left it at that, you didn't disagree with a single point, good lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A hard woman to live with I'd say.

Like all Trotskyists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭supereurope

These were my first EU elections since I moved back to Ireland, and it seems all you really need to go to Europe is a recognisable name and face. We've elected a former Eurovision presenter, former Rose of Tralee, former head of the GAA, former RTÉ reporter, former jockey/ reality show winner, and a radio "shock jock" almost made it.

I'm reminded of an Eddie Murphy movie from around 30 years ago called "The Distinguished Gentlemen" where he plays a con artist who win political office solely because he had the same name as a recently-deceased politician - "The name you know."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What debates was she invited to that she didn't show up for?

Personal attacks like this say so much more about you than her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I don't think anyone could accuse the Irish of being a sophisticated electorate.

I do wonder what impact the laws around funding a political party are having on our options. I see more and more fragmentation and political dynasties (like the Healy Rays in Kerry) in our future.

It is extremely difficult to get elected to Europe outside of the main parties. You'd need a national profile which obviously, the vast majority of us don't have…Ming was never off the air back before he ran.

That being said, Sinn Fein have enormous resourses and the Green Party didn't do well considering the amount of programs and even adverts on tv address the climate crisis…so what do I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭supereurope

I think it's interesting how the European elections attract "celebrity" candidates when the local or general elections don't. Is it because someone with little or no political experience can enter politics at a high-level, gain the cachet and salary without having to worry about close scrutiny or Mrs O'Donnell endlessly phoning to complain about the pothole at the end of her road?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The size of the constituencies mean that it’s nearly impossible for candidates to get out and build recognition across all regions in a short period of time. Candidates with pre-existing profiles have a huge advantage - hence the attraction of “celebrity” candidates who come with in-built name recognition

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Looking at the changes in the European parties I realized something, ID gained 9 seats but they no longer have the German AFD in their party compared to last time.

So that +9 is a bigger jump than you'd realize, as they've gained 9 new seats and replaced the 9 they lost from the Germans getting kicked out.

AFD went 9 to 15 on their own this time around and those are included in the independent unaligned group.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

Based on the figures, for the immediate pre-election and post-election situations, the ID group are back with one less MEP and the NI (Non-inscrits) are back with 5 less MEPs, so the supposed "far right sweeping the board" scenario the media was touting just did not materialise.

And the current Parliament has gained 15 additional MEPs since the last one (as an additional part of the post-Brexit adjustment of the number of MEPs).

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

You are largely correct and it is a direct consequence of the variant of PR that we use. Were we using one of the various party list PR variants, there would probably be more emphasis on the policies / political (ie ideological) positions of the parties in the elections and much less on issues such as whether person X or Y is a nicer / better person to elect…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭yagan

Even our celeb meps seem amatuer compared to Alessandra Mussolini who actually took a break from being an MEP for her reality tv career.

Advertisement