Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrsmalooly

😆 You saying you don’t believe in aliens?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That a dog can be custom bred to be incredibly aggressive and insanely powerful, but people still try to claim that there’s no difference between breeds, it’s either the greatest marketing campaign of all time or biblical levels of self delusion from people who’d rather see kids mutilated than dogs controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Some people are happy to say their dogs are spoiled or their kids are.

Spoiled rotten is a term used to say something is.…well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

If the driver is obeying the law and paying attention and a kid runs out and gets hit, then yes, that's on the child and their parents. Not the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Obeying the law is one of the important bits here…

A driver must:-

Pay adequate attention to the road ahead

Obey rules around schools, Estates inc. children at play areas.

Having their car road-worthy (NCT), breaks operations etc.

Not having an illegally modified car

Having insurance against 3rd party accidents

…but I would still say most times a child is hit, some or all of the responsibility has been placed on the driver….I'm, sure there are plenty of court cases that can be referenced.

And then for a Dog owner:-

Having their dog under control at all times in a public place. (Lead or no lead, excited kids or not).

Have a lead and mussel on if on the restricted list

Having a dog licence etc.

I'm not saying parents should not teach their kids obviously, but the rules of the road and how to interact with dogs, is not the same.

If you do not own a dog, you can only teach the common manners etc, but not how every dog might react and what sublet signs to look out for might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Agreed. The person I was replying to was the one who was comparing hitting a child with their car to a dog attack. I fully support strict regulations around dog ownership and breeding. And enforcement of those regulations. I just don't believe it's always the dog's fault like I don't believe it's always the driver's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It may not be a dog's fault but not all dogs can kill, fault or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

children are children, they should not have to worry about coming into contact with dangerous animals. hope this helps

• Advertisement

11. the child should have been instructed how to interact with the dangerous dog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

dogs are definitely born aggressive, I've had 4 dogs, Shetland, Labrador, staffie/boxer mix, boxer- the only one that I had to spend time training, and was brilliant when I was with him, was the staffie, when I was not there, he could not be trusted.

The other dogs were all capable of showing aggression, - when s stranger entered our yard and came back a second time, the Shetland bit him on the calf, as my grandmother was there alone with me, I was 9. The Labrador would attack anyone that came into the yard when we were not there, the 1980's in the country. The staffie growled at my friends children when they were play acting around him, he also killed 3 cats. The boxer was trained off-lead and the best dog I've ever met or had, he was a legend in my town, everyone loved him-he growled and showed aggression when a neighbour came into the house when I was upstairs, I also used to patrol a building, when there was trouble, I'd go with a mag lite and put him on a lead, that meant, to him, he was on duty, he would tug at the lead barking when we found people in the building. He also got agressive and I had to get him off someone that was wearing a hoodie on a walk in the woods, and they started shouting at me-so, he went for them. Had the guards call to the door and the dog Warden, they met Dre, and had no problem when I explained to them what happened. He would also bark at anyone that came down our back communal area, if they were not from there, or with someone from there.

ANyway-no, I would not trust a staffie or any bull mix.

The XL bully is a unique case in that it is the most dangerous breed of dog and is exclusively owned by people who have no interest in actually looking after them or controlling them. That is a recipe for disaster.

There is absolutely no scenario that will prevent further attacks apart from banning them outright. It's delusion to pretend otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

People really are simpletons. An XL Bully is named for the sports they were bred for, bull bating and dog fighting. Arguing the circumstances is nonsense when discussing this breed, they were literally born and bread for extreme agression and it's only a testiment to good owners and trainers who understand animals, that things like this don't happen more.

Unfortunatly, regards this breed, many of those owners are the kind of people who probably shouldn't own animals full stop. Chavs that think they look hard with an vicious dog on a lead and simpletons like the that poor woman, who thought 'no dog is inherently a danger' and if I just give them hugs and kissies they'll unconditionally love me back and never flip out and kill me. Bully owners sound like battered wives to me. It's not him, it's me, I just need to do better. No love, it's definately him.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Convinced this incident will actually lead to more XL bully dogs being bought in Ireland, like a morbid fascination factor, the notoriety aspect will make them more appealing to scumbags

Looks like a ban is coming at last.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its about time - While I would previously have been of the opinion that its never the dogs fault Im now convinced that these XL Bull breeds are genetically pre-disposed to being aggressive no matter how they are treated.

My main concern is that how in gods name will this government police it?

Its all well and good being populist and bringing in a ban on them but we dont enforce the rules as they are.

We dont even have enough dog wardens to police the rules we do have and I regularly come across banned breeds off lead (never mind un-muzzled) in the spots where we walk our 3 Goldens.

Its time for a radical rethink of dog breeds and ownership. Certain breeds should be only be allowed to owned by over 21s. No muzzle - fine of €1000 euros - if you dont pay it we take it from your salary or dole. Not in control ie no lead €5000 fine - again taken from your salary or dole.

Dog (not muzzled or under control) attacks and injures someone - assault charge on the owner. Dog kills someone - manslaughter charge.

Time to get tough on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'm sure the ban will be about as much use as the ban on under 18's vaping and e-scooters on footpaths. They'll say anything for a vote and this could be timed nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm all for banning removing certain dogs from the gene pool. I'm an EBT owner and I fully comply with alll the laws and restrictions regarding the breed. I was fully aware of them when we got him.

However, who is going to enforce any new laws or restrictions ? There is one single dog warden for the Fingal County Council area, ONE !! I reported an issue with a boarding kennels where my dog nearly died due to neglect and my official complaint wasn't followed up on by them.

"Give the Gardai extra powers" some might say. Well when our lad was a pup my wife was accosted in broad daylight in Skerries by two under cover Gardai who raced up the road after her in their car and blocked her off. Told her that her "bull dog" needs to have a muzzle. They didn't even know what breed he was (looks nothing like a bull dog), nor the correct legislation covering it. To top that off they weren't even from the area. We put in a complaint about them.

Like everything here, lip service will be made by the justice minister about new laws, nothing will happen and no enforcement. Then the next attack will happen, rinse and repeat.

it's also to sheer size of them. I had to deal with 600 to 700 kg bullocks the last few months, and while they are generally docile, you are only realistically seconds from death if spooked for any reason beyond your control. I keep my close interaction with them as limited as possible. Why anyone would keep an animal like an XL bully in your house, by choice, is bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

That's your fault if you want to go off and spend 2k on a dog. I know dogs don't fall out of thin air, it takes 2 animals that someone hasn't bothered to get fixed to make more. Just imagine the saving you would have just from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

For that 2 grand, I know I am getting the dog from a puppy farm, I know the puppy has been fed right and not benn physically abused. I dont have to worry about inbreeding as I have both parents documented.

My parents used to get dogs from the pound and one was a right disaster. They bought what they thought was a Jack Russel terrier but was an Entele buscher cattle dog (much bigger than they could manage) they couldnt train him, he was always sick with distemper. In the end he had to be put down by the vet, it was the kindest thing to do. They never again got a dog from the pound.

You take your chances at the pound, you are getting a free dog. I have heard they tend to be more territorial.

For the fourth most expensive purchase in my life and my second best friend, why would you leave it to chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Of course not. But you've turned someone else's post mentioning that kids should be educated how to behave around the dogs (to be fair, you weren't the only one), in to something else inserting word dangerous. That's why I've reacted.

There's what, almost 500 000 dogs in Ireland? So what are the chances your kids (if you have any) will have a contact or some kind of interaction with dog? Pretty high I would say. That's why it's important to teach them how to behave around them. It will greatly benefit kids and the dogs. Generally speaking, kids should know or be educated how to behave around animals. My kids got all that and guess what? It works...

Edit: Just to add, there are stats and research done to suggest more than 90% of dog attacks are preventable, education, breeding, ownership, proper training, proper feeding etc. Now guess who is in charge of that?You can look up what causes aggression in dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Agree with the title of the thread, dangerous dog owners are the problem and they should be put down, not the dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

The best way to enforce would be to allow for the public to be permitted to cull XL bullies that are out in public unmuzzled on the basis that they are preventing a serious public order incident, like a citizen’s arrest scenario. If someone’s exotic snake or scorpion got out and was wandering on the street, it wouldn’t be questioned if someone went up and killed it. Should be the same thing with XL bullies. At the very least, people need to take photos and videos and report then to police whenever they see them in public.

The weirdest thing in this entire thread is the repeated claim (from only poster, in fairness) that it’s the child’s fault if they got their face ripped off.

Its time for a radical rethink of dog breeds and ownership

My experience around here is plenty of unrestricted breeds of all sizes running around unleashed, bothering leashed dogs, owners absolutely not in control..

See how that works?

Radical rethink would be to put all at the same start line (people and the dogs), enforce the rules and see. Personally I think it's the only way. There are pretty much simple rules already in play, ignored by plenty. For a starter it would be much easier and implementable to start enforcing what's in a rulebook now.

• Advertisement

Any examples?

Weren't you the one talking about pollution?

Advertisement