Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Acolyte - Disney+ - (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Watched the first two episodes. This is a spectacularly awful TV show. Nothing to do with wokeism or whatever…it's just B movie, insipid trash. There's no heartbeat to it, everything is dull and lifeless. There is zero tension. The fight scenes are laughable. The whole thing is a collection of shots, just rolled into one another.

The actors all look as if they're on xanax. I suppose this is in keeping with Ahsoka, BOBF and the third season of Mandalorian so it's not a shock, but this is another few levels below. If you've had enough of po-faced, boring Jedi who love to wag their fingers and spout mystic nonsense then I can't stress enough that you need to stay away from this show.

I might need to watch Andor again just as a palate cleanser. I wish I hadn't watched this now, I need a memory wipe. It really baffles me how anyone can say this is great storytelling. I knew standards were slipping but I never expected things to become this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Space witches are notorious for ignoring fire safety protocols when constructing a layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

"Seemed more like Jedi were just being Jedi to feel guilty enough to deserve to take their own lives. Like why did they guy who was a padawan simply take Mae's poison?"

I don't anyone knows the answer to that. I also asked it. Maybe she used the mind force on him.

"And why do they make that Jedi knight such an idiot, that his Padawan comes up with better plans.

And Jedi coming to forcibly take kids?

And as someone already mentioned, space witches all die that easily?

and not to forget the other episode where the droids flying the ship were shut down so easily."

It is truly terrible show. So bad I will not even mention to anyone in the real world that I watch it.

It's got to be one of the worst not just Star Wars but TV shows ever made. Honestly they should cancel it now before anymore jokes are made.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I saw the "power of one " Chant /ballad and everyone was asking was it AI/ Doctored? , it looks worse than a random CW show and jokingly (but true) people were staying each episode costs more than Godzilla Minus One…. there is no coming back from that

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭Cordell

Watch the Critical Drinker's videos instead, that's a triple win: you get the gist of the … story, you get some better quality entertainment and you don't have to actually watch The Acolyte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya that gang were terribly cliche.

I can't see how all these sci-fi shows are costing so much and I wonder how much is marketing hype. The CGI and costumes look terrible on most things I have seen the last few years. That "The Volume" green screen thing is nowhere near the level required yet technologically and is as obvious as an old painted background.

All the new Star Wars and Star Trek has looked crap with the exception of Andor which surprise surprise used mostly real sets and limited CGI.

That guy seems terrified of women in positions of power…. Everything he watches seems to be through the filter of anything with strong women, gays, or blacks is bad…. and in this case the unholy dark triad of having all three in one character…. there is an entire culture/economy of people on YouTube freaking out about anything progressive.. they all want movies to go back to the glory days of American movies with the highly homoerotically charged action movies of the 80's/90's

Post edited by EltonJohn69 on

Ya he is another one of those Doomcock style Muppets.

I don't really get it because most of these shows are crap purely on the merits of the writing and production. Complaining about the other stuff only discredits the criticism. The amount of crying online about the lack of white people in Acolyte is unreal and sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The actors all look as if they're on xanax. I suppose this is in keeping with Ahsoka, BOBF and the third season of Mandalorian so it's not a shock, but this is another few levels below. If you've had enough of po-faced, boring Jedi who love to wag their fingers and spout mystic nonsense then I can't stress enough that you need to stay away from this show.

The Asian Jedi master is particularly terrible IMO, over-enunciating even the most mundane throwaway line as if he was trying to channel Dalai Lama…

He claims to have learned English just for this role (more likely he is learning it because Squid Game has made him internationally famous) so he is probably just reading lines he barely understands off a card.

• Advertisement

He doesn't actually speak, he's unable because of a past lightsaber accident, so he's using the force to resonate the words into people heads. That's what I want to believe anyway, not that they cast someone who can't do the voice part of the acting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So my money on this lazy script is that Trinitys Padawan killed a load of the witches after a basic misunderstanding such as they think he started the fire, the "evil" sister seen this, hence she blames them for the death of all the witches and hence why he killed himself as he is overcome with guilt.

Anyway, it isn't great, it isn't good but it is watchable. The inconsistencies in power are confusing and make no sense which makes it even harder to watch. The same Jedis power fluctuating for no other reason than, well, actually, no reason. not tired, not used up a lot of energy, just makes no sense.

Its a strange community, I watched some videos because I didn't like a lot of the new Disney stuff and you end up getting sucked into strange hate filled corner of the internet.

A very different kind of show I know but watching when The Bear I really enjoyed how moments from one episode would be casually referenced later. Not plot points just normal stuff.

It was so noticeable because so many shows now you get the feeling the writer of episode 4 hasn't actually seen episode 2 or whatever. Sometimes even single episodes contradict themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Charlo30

Apparently learned English for the role and it shows. Its quite obvious he's speaking most of those lines phonetically. Which doesn't so any favors to his performance

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

I think that where this is going is:
    The jedi were an evil cult, they murdered families and stole their force sensitive children

Palpatine and Anakin were right all along and the Jedi needed to be stopped

The Empire were actually the good guys and the rebel alliance were terrorists

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Oh sweet baby Jesus this is bad. Like Star Trek Discovery bad.

All Eyes On Rafah

Are we gong to pretend that's not actually true? I mean, I get that it's maybe a disproportionate reaction and the show will be just as bad no matter the colour of the cast, but it's still a valid criticism, especially considering inclusion and the demographics of Star Wars fans base. But it's unfair to claim that this is what was mainly criticized. His main issues were about bad writing and especially bad writing, production and direction by people who don't care about, or even worse, hate the Star Wars universe.

"writing, production and direction by people who don't care about, or even worse, hate the Star Wars universe"

How the fuk does he or you know that these people"hate" Star Wars.

If the show would be just as bad with a less diverse cast then how is it a valid criticism. That's just bollox.

And let's be honest you don't have a clue what the demographic of the Star Wars fanbase is and neither do I. You are just assuming it's the Americans you have seen at conventions and some 50 year out of date photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,058 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's strange how both adult twins look completely identical yet they didn't look identical when they were children. 😛

• Advertisement

That was his assumption and I tend to agree with him: this, and other shows like Discovery and Foundation, were written by people who don't care about or maybe hate the established franchise, lore and canon.

Check out his review of Civil War, one of his main talking points is how awful Kirsten Dunst looks and that she has let herself go and looks really old. He is a misogynist and seems to have realised there is a lot of money in being anti women/progressive. His reviews are basic. I can’t take him seriously after giving movies like the fall guy, the 13th warrior etc. a positive reviews…. He just wants a strong guy doing physical action things in his movie.

Michelle Paradise is absolutely sht as a showrunner but she is a big Star Trek fan. Well known amongst the online fandom. Sadly much was the post Berman STO and extended universe fandom but she is a huge fan.

I know nothing about the Foundation books but the show is absolutely class. If it doesn't match the books I'm sure "woke" isn't the reason.

You know who really really didn't give a fuk about lore and canon. Meyer who made Wrath of Khan, Roddenberry and George Lucas himself.

I never said the w word nor did I imply that that's why these are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Just reading the comments above about representation. It's blatantly obvious that this show in particular is one for the 'we must have full representation' brigade. Now that's not the reason the show is crap. It's crap because it's badly written, the characters are utterly forgettable, the dialogue is toe-curlingly bad and the show has the production values of your average fan fiction film.

But even in the High Republic books that this show is linked to, you can see that it's more about representation now at the expense of everything else. There's a reason why the SW 'queer' community (my italics…I hate that word) loves those books and now this show. I don't care what colour or gender someone is..as long as they can do their job properly. But by focusing on representation the story becomes secondary, and once that happens then it's game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Saying the story is secondary is probably generous.

They have the moral of their story and ticked off any representation boxes and as for the story itself it's just thrown together.

The dialogue at times seems like it's out of a education film, going from stilted to overly emotional. Say no to spice younglings.

As least Lesley Headland fails here rather than on something important like if she indeed did get the old republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I got about 5 episodes into 'Ahsoka' and noped out. I managed 3 in this show and I'm done. It's appallingly bad in almost every respect, especially the writing and acting. Hard to believe that this cost around 22 million dollars per episode.

I just don't know how Disney can keep screwing up Star Wars. It's kind of astonishing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jesus, this is as bad as a star trek forum. Who cares about representation, it is a non thing, the show is either good, mediocre or bad. At the minute, it is in the latter but these people bringing up representation and different groups being over or under represented are a pain in the hole to listen to, it is irrelevant, particularly in a sci fi show like this. I hadn't noticed until I read this thread and now, in my minds eye, I am not sure what they are on about (I don't much care before anyone starts to reply with BS about over or under representation without any understanding of statistics, the size of the universe and that in any random group you will get over or under representation if that group is localized or small enough).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Advertisement