Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Good to Go - Food App

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭djan

IMO this is a good sign that people are actually buying up the items and thus reducing their grocery spend and overall waste.

It's unsustainable to run a business in a highly competitive market without charging market rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Was it ever about getting rid of expired food? If you know that you're going to have expired food 24 hours in advance, there's something wrong with your supply chain management.

No it doesn't. You cannot run most and especially a food or grocery business in a way that all stock would be bought as nobody would go shop in a place that would regularly be out of items to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I suspect a lot of places have been able to improve their inventory management as a result of using the service. Which is only a good thing, imo, even if it means we're not getting the bumper deals we were in the early days. As djan says, some surplus is to be expected in any foodservice business, which is why the 2g2g model still works, but any business that found themselves putting multiple bags a day up on the app and didn't learn from it isn't very well run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Same applies to the stock you're selling on TGTG though.

The only way this would really be about expired food would be if the orders only came available an hour or two before closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭danfrancisco83

I think I'm going to delete the app off my phone. Getting another block of questionable goats cheese and a bag of horrible wafer sweets at 7pm in Moldova shop is not worth it. ALDI not much better. I thought mizzoni might be worth trying, but don't fancy driving to Finglas at 2am for reheated garlic bread. Nice idea, but not worth it currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I got my first ever bag from bite size in Midleton, Co cork last week, pain au chocolat, 2 brown scone, one custard tart, apricot pastry and a a strawberry scone. Nice but not sure I’d get it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

All I can say to people is to rate every bag you get honestly, and pay attention to the ratings when you're ordering. I don't buy anything with less than a 4.2. Used to be 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Depends on the branch or more likely on the Manager. I know one branch where the manager told me he does not like going any more than 30% and I have seen that branch bin, and I mean bin - pour steaks, chicken, pastries, veg, yoghurts etc into large wheelie-bin (most with 30% stickers). To his credit I have also seen a trolly-load of his stock being taken away by a person I assume was part of some asylum or immigrant group, and he does Too Good To Go. I guess it all depends on somebody committing to be there to take stuff away at the close of business.

Others are placing 30% stickers by about 6 pm the day BEFORE expiry, and overlaying a 50% (rarely now 75%, alas) sticker on the afternoon of "best-by" date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Mine was always 75% but suddenly dropped to 30% a couple of months ago.

They take most of those away after 7pm probably to be put in 2Good2Go boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Aldi do 30% the evening of the day before something is due to expire.

That is upgraded to 50% on the evening it is due to expire.

It used to be 75%, which really irked me as there was no reason to shift from 75% to 50%. More waste is the result, and shareholders line their pockets a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I got a few Aldi's lately and they were awful, all fruit and veg that was out of date that day and visibly weeping. Put me right off bothering.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭danfrancisco83

I got about 18 small yoghurts that expired the next day. I wouldn't have taken them for free, never mind drive down and pay for the privilege.

I suggest that people mention the location of the store to give people a heads up as there is some wildly varying experiences across Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Anastasia_

I used to get bags from here a lot, they used to always be one sandwich and a box of 4/5 pastries or cakes which was ideal. Last two times I got them though it was just bags of stale scones so haven't chanced it in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I've ordered my first box from Aldi Mayfield - collecting this evening…..not sure what to expect….has anyone got one from there before?!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

What's typically in the M&S Apple green bags ?

well, just back - not bad but think I’m gonna go a bit later next time cos I went at the very beginning of the time window! Got box of 6 free range eggs, 2 packs of cocktail sausages, hummous, pack of fairly wilting basil tbf, olives (which I can’t stand..), turkey bolognese nutri meal (had this before and it’s tasty enough so will have for dinner tomorrow), 4 Skyr yogurt pouches. Not bad first one anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Anastasia_

Had another great bag from Aldi last night. Stirfry mix, pizza bases, lettuce, stewing beef, diced steak, mandarins, raspberries x2, Glenisk squeezy pouches x2, plant based chick'n strips, a big pot of vanilla yogurt, bagels, brown bread, yogurt drinks and 12 Bratwurst sausages.

I'm having great fun working meals around them, usually pick up about €20 of extra groceries on top and that's me sorted for the week. It's also letting my try loads of things I would never have considered trying otherwise. Well worth the €4!

• Advertisement

Davidsons craft butchers today - got 2 steaks burgers, 2 chicken kievs, and a pack of peppercorn steak bombs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Got a box of Krispy Kreme on the app while we were in Dundrum at the end of the day. Immediate pick up which was handy and they let us choose the 6 doughnuts we wanted for €5.95

Guy In front paid full whack for his 6 doughnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I shop in Aldi but I wouldn't order off the TGTG app, unless the store is within walking distance, as I hear of people going into the store and the offer is cancelled, it's the same with Eurospar.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PublicBen

Got Krispy Kreme in Blanch before and there was no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Do we just order via the app and then speak to the manager at Aldi? Where do we collect the items from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

You can ask any of the staff on the floor or the checkout can you collect your bag, and show them the screen on your phone of your confirmation, and as long as you are there at the correct time they will get it for you. Aldi are fairly strict if you come 10 minutes early you will have to wait. I wouldn't recommend them though I got 2 surprise bags off them and it was pure muck: celery, some seaweed sauce, burgers that expired that day and a mouldy banana!

It's mixed depending on where you go but I've had fantastic packages from bakers and hot deli in Applegreen but the best in my opinion is Cafe Nero. Got 9 sandwiches with different fillings and all within expiry for 2 more days, all for 5 euros. Bargain !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ECookie13

The Aldi bags are super hit and miss, also not great if you watch the diet as they usually pad them with pastries and bread.

I've also seen them leave out the boxes to be collected and seen snakey collectors quickly grab meat from another box and leg it out the door, so it's good to be there early to stop stuff like that. The late collection (9.30pm) is a killer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭CKrules

Er Buchetto in Ranelagh for 4 quid:

1 giant Pain au Chocolat

1 butter croissant

1 tub of tomato soup

1 caprese panini

All were absolutely delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭gussieg

delicious. Le pattisier damastown hub, but tricky to find ( it’s up and then right and to the left) they add on a packaging charge after the bag charge , hmmm, and yer man reminds me of Stephen Pearce the potter, but man can make cakes .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Moving2017

The packaging charge seems a bit bizarre. Was it much?

Advertisement