Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering silage pit. What is the easiest way

Options
  • 15-06-2024 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I am covering the pit the same way most people do, black plastic with tyres and sand bags around the edges. There most be a better way to do it. What is the easiest way ye have seen it done?

Silage is well above the walls so I'm not sure how well the green netting and sand bags would work without tyres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KingPanko

I contacted them this time last year, at that point they were still in the research phase of development. I have not heard anything since so assume that it still has not been launched on the market. If it works it will be fantastic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I find often thinking about covering the pit is worse than doing it.we throw the top tyres on the shed beside the pits and throw big tyres on the sides with the loader with a longer pipe on it.tend to throw the old covers on again so we could have 3 or 4 layers on some of it.we tend to make a burst on the day and do a bit of tidying up in the couple days after.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I used to put sandbags on the edge, now just put a roll of builder's poly along the walls before silage goes in and pull it up over the silage before the top sheet goes on. Roll it for a while too. Some contractors cover the pit.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

I'm the same, I rather the pit than bales, pull on the covers seal around the sides. After that then I throw on a few tires when I'm agitating or throw on a few after milking.

The smart lad, when using the silage in the winter would stack them on something that can be picked up with the loader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Our contractor is brilliant, all the lads cover the pit with us, and he throws up the tyres as it's covered with the loader.

Advertisement