Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Can't argue with most of that except to point out yet again that we are still waiting for a figure for how much bin collection went up by because of DRS.

And I still think the charity thing is different.

I wouldn't buy them and pay a deposit.

Maybe if nobody does they'll just give them away to the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

People won't notice though. I just happened to spot them as there was a tray of each beside each other on the shelf.

Sounds like a sneaky trick.

Even if they're not charging the deposit on them they are breaking the law.

Somebody should report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

In fairness they probably don't even realise they are there. Probably just got mixed up in the stockroom. They aren't a big seller so nobody has probably noticed or mentioned it. There was less than half a dozen sold in the three days between my last two visits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

I don't see any business releasing a statement with exact reasons why their prices have increased other than inflation or the cost of …… going up. And if they did, I would be skeptical. Now, if they released a figure on their income of aluminium and PET bottles, I might be a bit less skeptical.

And for this week's experiences!

Brought my bag in to recycle, yer man was cleaning and perhaps unclogging the machine. I asked how long as I had a small bit of shopping to do. He said 10 minutes or so, but was 2nd breakdown today, this was at 11am. BUT, he offered to take my cans-get the refund and find me in the shop, which he duly did. Great Customer Service. BTW, two cans in pristine condition rejected. Has been that way of late, not getting the 100% success rate as before some circumstances.

Today, arrived and found a person with a large rubbish sack and carrier bag of recyclables just starting the process. Shopped with my empties and picked up a few items and 15 minutes later they are still at it. So feck this, bring it all back to the car.

I would think this will be a major problem going forward, not enough machines!

Fair enough, maybe I was a bit harsh.

Benefit of doubt.

I never put a can in the green bin so I'd be interested to see their justification.

That's a shop worth supporting, well done that guy.

Bulk machines at civic amenity sites would be better for people with large numbers to recycle.

That would leave the shop machines for the ordinary customers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Collecting quite a few bottles and cans that have been discarded every week. Free money. But to incentivise the youth, most of whom have no concept to the value of money I think we should be increasing the amount to 50c/€1 per can/bottle

When I was a kid, 50-odd years ago, I remember the glass bottle return scheme. It was 5p a bottle. What would 5p be worth nowadays with inflation? I remember you could get a packet of Tayto crisps for 5p back then. Tayto are €1.80 or so a pack now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

It seems to me that re-turn are getting good advice, I say with millions in the bank they are probably buying the best.

I refer to the charity initiative. Because, some people may be wondering how, amongst the thousands of good causes there are, did re-turn decide who gets the hundreds of thousands of Euro they will generate this Summer?

You might even wonder what amount of due diligence was done, given recent stories about improper behaviour in the charity sector. Money can go into a charity and some of it does good, some of it is legitimate admin, and some can be harder to explain.

Perhaps you even asked yourself if re-turn, in choosing a charity at all, is maybe acting beyond their remit. Perhaps their remit is instead figuring out a way to make the scheme work to, you know, return the deposits at the actual charity. This, after all, is not re-turns money to give to their favourite charity, it's the publics.

And finally, you might wonder if this exercise is audited. Who is counting the bottles, how soon after collection are they destroying them, are they being stored, how do we know all get returned.

I come back to buying the best advice. By picking 6 charities, Foley can say they didn't favour any one charity. By making them all children's charities they make any query heartless, what sort of lowlife would deny 'making a difference to a child's life's, after all. By calling it a pilot, re-turn can say the due diligence and selection criteria is something in the future, that this is more about learnings etc.

Arses well covered.

https://re-turn.ie/return-your-bottles-and-cans-to-make-a-difference-to-a-childs-life/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The producers and wholesalers would have not supplied any out of scope stock since 16 March, or they would have been breaking the law/rules. I know some shops were selling off non logo stock cheap back as far as February.

The principle of fairness should not apply in this case to excuse what is going on, when businesses had a very long time to get organised. It is not fair to customers.

"16 March 2024.

Producers sell Re-turn logo products and
    must CEASE to sell non-logo stock
    From 16 March, 2024, all Retailers must
    only order/purchase Re-turn
    logo products from stock suppliers."

Let me get this straight. You are advocating a deposit per item of up to €1.00? If that is the case then the deposit would be more than the retail price of some items. It's bad enough with MUP it is costing me €400-€500 extra per year for us to have a weekend tipple and you want to add more to that? Maybe you can easily afford it, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just worked out that 5c would be worth about 28c today so double what they’re charging at the moment. Would 30c for small bottles/cans be acceptable to you as the minimum value and 60c for the bigger ones? The current price is obviously no incentive for some people to return their bottles as opposed to dumping them.

There could not be enough evidence this early to arrive at that conclusion. Re-Turn are waiting until June 2025 to assess the figures. That will take account of the variable sales at different times of the year e.g. Christmas. And as posted earlier in the thread there is a clause which allows the Minister to vary the deposit to fit various outcomes. Including the one you envisage, that it is too low to encourage enough returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

One thing that will definitely not happen is for the deposit to be reduced no matter how good the recycling is

Neither should there be a need to increase it. It is at the level which works in many other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

Other countries allow IBAN deposit refund

Other countries accept crushed containers

Other countries have bulk return centres

Other countries make all stores who sell containers accept returns

Other countries dont force people into shops to get their own money back after doing extra work for free

Other countries' citizens dont already pay for recycle wheelie bins at their homes

Other countries arent run by idiots / gombeens

In the end it is very simple. You pay a deposit. If you want it back you use a machine, or do a manual return. No need to make it complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Overly simplistic nonsense. I dunno why you feel you need to repeat Return propaganda.

You find a WORKING machine - not a given. That accepts the items it is supposed to accept

You may have to queue.

Find a place that says it does manual returns that actually does it!

As for deposits charged at airports... festivals... good luck with that unless you are seriously gonna suggest people schlep those bottles around. Anybody seriously suggesting it is self discrediting and total lack of cop on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It seems to me comparisons to other countries are welcome except when it makes Re-Turn look bad. Then all of a sudden theres no need to make it complicated.

Do you honestly think Re-Turn is acceptable as is?

Deflecting with a load of spoof about it being a work in progress is not an acceptable answer. Nobody connected to Re-Turn is talking about changes to this scheme in any meaningful way. Last we heard was don't use RVMs at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭nachouser

Re-Turn basically works like a gem for anyone associated with Re-Turn. They rest of us, not so much. Anyone arguing otherwise is either ill-informed or a moron.

Post edited by nachouser on

• Registered Users Posts: 13 johns1234ff4

What’s the idea that you can redeem your voucher at the same chain? What can’t you use a Tesco voucher in another Tesco? Seems crazy really

I see that in Germany the machines don't accept crushed containers. Nor in Denmark, but the clever Danes never make thing simple. As reported on the thread many times, once the barcode is readable, crushed containers work in our machines.

Which countries accept crushed containers? Also which countries have free wheelie bins?

Denmark.

If a bottle or can is crushed or defaced, you can try to return it to a store that receives bottles and cans manually. This requires the store selling bottles or cans of the same material, regardless of the product brand. You will only be refunded the deposit if a store employee can see, or the reverse vending machine can read, the barcode, deposit mark and the shape of the packaging. You can always put damaged bottles and cans in the special deposit sacks from Dansk Retursystem and deliver them to a Pantstation (deposit return bank). Even though you will not be refunded the deposit, the bottles and cans will be recycled to benefit the environment. 

To p!ss people off and make them give up / forget / not have enough free time / stop trying to get the deposit back. Its a percentages game. The more of a pain in the hole it is for customers and shop staff the more deposits stay in Re-Turn's coffers. The longer the scheme is left as it is the more money Re-Turn gets from us. Its going to be 100s of millions per year at the current rate. You have people on here saying its a work in progress until 2029. Laughable really. At present its a money grab with no fix in the pipeline even though the fixes are obvious. I outline them here every few weeks any time I see spoofers posting about other countries or how easy it is to use Re-Turn and similar nonsense.

Not all countries implement everything I posted. Its a list collected from different countries which we could have learned from if the will was there but it wasn't and isn't.

Answer my question first and I'll respond to specific questions from you:

Do you honestly think Re-Turn is acceptable as is?

Deflecting with a load of spoof about it being a work in progress is not an acceptable answer. Nobody connected to Re-Turn is talking about changes to this scheme in any meaningful way. Last we heard was don't use RVMs at the weekend.

Put a bit of substance to your list first. Just a few examples to start with. I think you might just have made it up in your head.

Pathetic response. Answer my question first and I'll answer yours.

• Advertisement

All I said was this: "Neither should there be a need to increase it. It is at the level which works in many other countries."

That promoted your Other Countries list, which I don't think you even researched. We'll start with you justifying your claims and take it from there. Just a few examples of what you claim happens in other countries.

It would be a useful detail to know at what stage did various things happen in other countries. Ireland only going for a few months, has the opportunity to implement upgrades, just as other countries have done gradually. As the Minister said the priority was to get the system implemented on time, unlke Scotland for example which keeps getting delayed because of the search for perfection from the start.

Advertisement