Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LastCall

Question for the railway experts:

Will the Dart Plus signaling upgrades result in smaller timetable gaps between fast services and Dart services?

And will the signaling upgrades allow for higher speeds for those fast services?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Both, we are moving from a route signalling approach to a speed signalling approach (ETCS L1), ETCS provides a distance to next stop signal and a speed profile which is a function of the trains capabilities instead of a default one size fits all as is current

DART+ includes closure of most level crossings which has a significant impact on journey times

DART+ fleet have a higher top speed and accelerate faster than the current DART fleet. Should be at 70mph before the current diesel fleet gets to 40mph

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Time savings may be impacted by new stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the new proposed timetable shows many services running slower, and that's before Woodbrook has even opened. So I'd be skeptical of any timing improvements from the new trains.

In 40+ years the Dart has only ever gotten slower to the point where having the word "rapid" in it's name seems like an ironic joke. They have the line closed every weekend for "improvements", what exactly are they improving?

Well the question is in relation to the upcoming switch to ECTS L1. When it happens, we should see improvements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

More capacity and thus more passengers.

In 1991, Irish Rail carried just 25 million people, in 2023 they carried 45 million people (50 million in 2019).

That is almost a doubling in passengers carried in just over 20 years! Going back 40 years and thus pre dart would be even more extreme!

More trains, longer trains, more frequency all has lead to many more people carried on our railways, which in the end is the goal.

Faster speed is a nice to have, but it isn’t the primary focus when so many of your trains are leaving absolutely jam packed. Adding capacity and thus carrying more people is far more important.

With DART+ I’d say 20 years from now they will be carrying 60 million+

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Indeed, survey after survey and study after study have all shown that the number one desire for the average commuter is frequency. Get wait times down to "turn up and go", usually seen as ten minutes, and people will be happy with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Which makes some of the current Dublin commuter services so unacceptable.

One hour between Maynooth services in the evening. This needs to improve pre-DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

I missed the 9.43 from Dunboyne by a minute because the bus was late. Next train was an hour later. Dunboyne is 15km from the City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

While its not trip speed related, in the ~7 years I used the Luas to get to work I was never aware of the timetable except for during lockdown when there were bugger all and I needed to make sure to get one that tied in with the limited trains. Absolutely pointless even checking

Ditto metro/tube timetables when on holiday; whereas when staying in Santiago de Compostella which (then, at least) has appalling Google Maps support, and at a hotel with a 30m headway bus I was back to having photos of timetables in my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In the past with the DART, if you just missed the train or couldn’t get on because it was too full due to being a 4 carriage dart, you could have up to a 30 minute wait for the next DART, which greatly impacts your journey time.

With the 10 minute dart project and 8 carriage darts, well you are now more likely to get on the dart in the first place and if you do have to wait for the next one it is just 10 minutes. Thus it greatly improves journey times and it feels much less worse then sitting around for 30 minutes.

These have been great improvements to the rail service and overall journey times.

The same down in Cork, currently the cork commuter rail is every 30 minutes, painful if you just missed a train, but with CACR it will go to a 10 minute frequency (5 mins in the center), a vast improvement. And DART+ will bring similar improvements to the Western Dublin lines.

Keep in mind, as more people use rail, you will have slower dwell times at stations due to needing to board more people, plus extra stations decrease journey time, while of course bringing extra passengers and convenience for the travelling public.

Speed is certainly a nice to have, but isn’t a priority, frequency, capacity and reliability is what most of the travelling public wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Speaking of dwell times, they appear to be very long at times, especially on the DART. Is this because of undemanding schedules and thus waiting for correct departure time? Or is it because of the very slow laid back actions of alighting and boarding passengers? Or is it something else?

What drew my attention to this were the very short dwell times on European suburban systems, even in Southern Europe with their supposedly relaxed attitudes to punctuality.

Signalling likely plays a big part in that, can’t leave the station until the section of track ahead is clear, etc.

The upgrade to ETCS will likely help with this, as would closing level crossings.

Historically our rail network isn’t really designed for the type of high frequency rail services you see in other European countries. Our network has historically been low frequency, think 30 minute frequencies, mixing diesel services and even freight with EMU’s and very conservative signalling.

Most of the rest of Europe would be horrified at the idea of mixing DMU’s into busy EMU lines!

We are starting to move away from that more traditional model to the more European model of simplified, but high frequency services. With DART+ and CACR we are seeing the rollout of ETCS and other steps to the more mainland European operating model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

All timetables need slack to allow for delays, and unused slack turns into a longer wait at the station. You see the same with buses in countries where the buses run on time.

DART+ should remove two big causes of delay (signalling granularity, and having to share track between electric DART and diesel commuter trains), which would allow the timetable to ruin with less slack.

That time saving will be used to add a station, rather than make services faster end to end, because that's a better use of time. It's well understood that commuters of all kinds care more about having a predictable travel time than a faster but less predictable one. The train can often be no faster than driving on a "good day", but unlike driving it will almost always take the same time regardess of weather or season, and catching an extra half hour of sleep on the way to work is not something you can really do when you're driving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

There are bottlenecks in the system, which has a knock on effect to trains elsewhere on the line.

Signallers also rely on autorouting too much a lot of the time, which leaves trains waiting to leave/enter stations, when there are gaps that could be used more efficiently.

Is ETCS planned for just on DART and CAR track at the moment?

Is there any talk (even rumors) of extending it across other areas of track?

Apart for Dublin and Cork, what other areas of the track would benefit from ETCS the most ATM?

ETCS L1 will be nationwide, signs of pre installation activities are visible beyond the DART+ area already

In addition the new traffic management system will be more intelligent in handling of auto routing and priorities

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭specialbyte

OOC what needs to happen as part of the ETCS upgrade? Is it a big hardware job the length of all of the tracks or is it mostly isolated to upgrades to trains, signal posts, software in the control centre etc?

After ETCS and level crossing reductions, what would be the next steps to improve frequency and deconflict busy sections of mixed speed track? Passing loops?

Ideally quad track the approach’s to Dublin, so you can separate stopping DART services from intercity and long distance commuter. This is the big one.

Controversially, maybe not today, but one way or another we will eventually see the Rosslare line trains terminating at either Bray or Greystones and folks needing to switch to DART. It will be interesting to see what will be proposed for Greystones and the possibility of extending DART service to Wicklow Town.

There is the idea of routing Wexford trains via the Waterford line.

Some of this falls under DART+ and some of it falls under broader developing All Island Rail Review proposals like quad tracking the Northern line.

Of course there is also the broader context of the intercity rail network. Double tracking the core intercity network, will allow for greater frequency of those services. Electrification, speed upgrades, etc.

And don’t forget, higher frequency will mean more trains, drivers and other staff needed.

To be honest, if we can get DART+, CACR and even half of the AIRR done, I believe we would have a very comprehensive network that we could be quite proud of. A network and services that wouldn’t be out of place with similar sized European country.

• Advertisement

ETCS L1 is a bolt on to each signal interfaced into the local interlockings. There is no control centre changes at all.

All new trains will get ETCS from factory, this is standard fitout now, existing fleet will get upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The UK operators have had problems retrofitting their stock with ETCS, and decided instead to phase it in as new replacement stock is purchased.

That said, the UK operators all lack engineering resources, and many are running older trains; the bulk of IÉ's long distance trains are the 22000 sets, and they are new enough that the manufacturer should have an ETCS solution already available.

The locomotive hauled trains are where the difficulty in upgrading lies, but that problem will solve itself: the Enterprise is being replaced with a new train type (tenders being sought now), which will have ETCS, and the 201s are coming closer to replacement time too. Between DART+ and the Enterprise replacement, I expect Dublin-Belfast will be the first long distance line to be fully resignalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

22001 has already been fitted with ETCS as a testbed. I think one of the 85xx DARTs has it too.

22001 is fitted, one DART set was also fitted with IE's somewhat insane hybrid IEHS which in theory is L1 compatible…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/IE-MU-Set-Numbers

Looks like it's a single cab in two DART sets. 21 and 25 are in an odd formation to facilitate this. I'd imagine that these two sets probably run in normal service as an 8-piece with the IEHS cabs coupled together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

As someone who used to live there; I'm confused as to why someone needs to take a bus to get to the commuter service?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

I live in Clonee Village, there's usually a bus at 9.30ish heading to Dunboyne, then I get the train. It only makes sense because of the €2 90 min fare

I could get the 70 bus, but it's cramped and depending on traffic in Stoneybatter, the quays, O'Connell Street, Merrion square... too many variables so journey time is usually 80mins.

Bus from Clonee to Dunboyne is 5 mins, train to Connolly is 25 mins, Dart from Connolly to Grand Canal Dock is 10 mins, both journeys cost 2 quid, so I prefer the more comfortable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Tender is ready to go out for retrofitting of older units, but I've heard the NTA aren't happy with the projected cost.

A second set of ICRs is lined up to be fitted out with equipment, to speed up testing. I figure they don't want any holdups on testing the new sets when they start arriving later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

I wonder why, if ETCS is on its way to becoming pretty standard throughout the EU, it's not OK by the NTA - not that huge costs are much of a problem for the likes of Metrolink. What about the costs of having different control systems and fleets which are restricted to certain routes? These costs will fall on Irish Rail and its customers, not on the NTA.

• Advertisement

The NTA is primarily a bus outfit and has little understanding of railways and a history of delaying projects trying to find a better solution only to return to the original plan, the costs of course having increased in the interim.

The problem is Ireland negotiated an exemption with the EU from ETCS due our isolated status, that now has come full circle as IE's "better" solution IEHS turned out to be a nightmare and ETCS is the only show in town, but is not legally required.

Had that exemption not been sought, IE would have the upper hand as it is a legally required upgrade.

Advertisement