Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC 2023/24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Spot on. RTE listings on their own website showing coverage of Bulls vs Leinster from 2.25pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looking at the TV schedule for the final on 22nd there. RTE 2 is showing the Euros and TG4 the Minors semi-final. RTE 1 scheduled to snow All Ireland QF until 5.45. Wonder what channel it will be on so?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Wrong thread.

RTE said they'd be back for final next Saturday so guess it will probably be on RTE 1 so with hurling quarter finals on earlier so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Bulls winning means that a SA team has been involved in every final since the Big 4 joined....great addition to the league...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gneel

Is it legal to rip the ball when on your knees? Splitting hairs but Tadgh Beirne did drop to his knees just before ripping

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Shaping up to be a terrible day for Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

It is now. Irish rugby teams really seem to have a huge difficult time delivering big results when they are expected to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leinster bottling it in South Africa.

Munster bottling it in their backyard.

Not a great day for Irish rugby.

• Both teams lost to inferior sides who looked more focused, committed and strategic on the day. Highly frustrating.

It’s been an extremely long season and some of our best players look pretty tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I'd say bulls can't believe their luck that they don't have to get on a plane this week!

And only 3 weeks to go to the match vs S.A. Would have been 2 if either team got to the final. And with travelling out in advance an even shorter turnaround time.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Glad I have Pearl jam next weekend.

I've no interest in watching either of those teams lift the cup next Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Try being the Betterman and watch the replay…

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So the URC final is in South Africa every year?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Which is bizarre but slightly infuriating.

I would back Glasgow to give it socks. But it should be a source of some consternation that we haven't managed to bring it to Europe in the last 3 seasons.

Black day in Irish Rugby...

A great day for the URC and the unpredictability of it....

A superb day of rugby for the neutral....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Anyway, strongly supporting Glasgow for the final and think they have a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Shehal

I guess the lesson for Irish rugby here is our sides should maybe analyse the opposition and come up with a game plan to beat them…you know just like how they always seem to do when playing Irish opposition.

What was noticeable today was any weakness Munster or Leinster had was brutally exploited but any strength both sides had was totally nullified…

20,000 in Thomond today and 31,000 at Loftus....

Good numbers…..

I think there should be a full house in Pretoria next week...50 odd thousand.....makes for a superb atmosphere...

I hope next year that they get rid of quarter finals. They were a complete waste of time.

The URC isn't strong enough that it needs eight teams in a knockout. Ospreys had no business being in the mix with 8 losses out of 18. If they're hell bent on that round, then they should have 3-6 play a qualifier knockout to make the semifinals and 1 and 2 with a week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭trevezel

another frustrating defeat for the Leinster, its time to change the management team…

The format hasn't changed according to their fixture list anyways. Agree its a bit much having half the teams in the league progress to the knockout stage. https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/news/full-2024-2025-urc-fixture-list

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Having Quarter Finals keeps the regular season relevant to the end. The "Race to Eight" went right down to the wire. Restrict it to 4 teams and most matches would be irrelevant by about Round 16.

I mean it's not a great look for Urish fans to be calling for a change to the structure of the competition just because things haven't gone as well as they'd hoped.

Second part of your comment is nonsense. I'd felt that way long before the knockouts. That a team can lose nearly half their regular season games and qualify for an end of season knockout just rewards poor teams. Yesterday's results had no bearing on my thoughts - the changes I called for would have made no difference to Leinster so we'd have been knocked out regardless... The top four teams all easily beat 5-8 so there was no jeopardy in those games. It was a pointless weekend.

And you're completely wrong on the first point. European qualification was still up for grabs til the final day so it went down to the wire for all of the teams in the knockouts.

And "the race to eight", come on, that's just a marketing fluff soundbite that you've bought into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Munster and Bulls got home games in the quarters which gives them some revenue, builds momentum into the semis and adds 2 matches extra for URC spectators.

From a business perspective it makes sense.

It would be highly unusual for a team finishing 7th or 8th to beat the top two teams away in a knockout match.

The system is fine as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

Over 14k sold already for the Final

https://x.com/Brendennel/status/1802257574542107113?t=vRwoQWhTs5fW_acUGo2-sA&s=19

Advertisement