Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Just finished reading Perfume by Patrick Suskind.

Brilliant book , unusual but very enjoyable and it's really great escapism and really transports you back to another time and place.It's a very sensual book and you really need to use your imagination and get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I bought Stephen King's new short story collection the other day, it'll be my reward when I finish They Both Die at the End. Also, I was ridiculously excited to discover yesterday that he's currently editing an anthology of short stories by other writers, all set in the universe of The Stand, called The End of the World As We Know It. No release date yet that I can find, but I can't wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AMTE_21

A Heart full of Headstones by Ian Rankin. Nearly finished reading this, vintage John Rebus. Rebus has retired and suffering with COPD, but his past shenanigans in Police Scotland is catching up with him and may bring him down this time. I’m really enjoying this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Shipwreck: Gibsons of Scilly by Carl Douglas and Björn Hagberg

This book is centered on photographs, taken by five generations of the Gibson family, of shipwrecks along the shores of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. Shipwrecks include impressive sailing ships, passenger liners, fishing vessels and naval vessels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Rhine: Ben Coates

Starting in the Netherlands, author follows the path of the Rhine , meeting locals and revealing the history of the river.

About third way through and its pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Miss Aldridge Regrets by Louise Hare. A murder mystery set in the 1930s. Lena is a singer in a Soho nightclub who thinks her life and her career has passed her by. When she’s offered a job in a Broadway musical, sailing on the Queen Mary first class , she thinks it might be too good to be true. But she gets caught up in murder in Soho so jumps at the chance. But her troubles follow her on board. It’s a good read, the plot a bit far fetched and confusing but it captures the atmosphere of those times well.

John Grisham’s, The Exchange. This is a follow up to his book The Firm. It catches up with Mitch and Abby when they had to escape the mob when they became informants for the FBI. It was a typical John Grisham, fast paced and page turning. It certainly had a lot of travel involved in rescuing one of his colleagues from his law firm, and a daughter of an old friend and colleague. It involved trips to Libya, Rome, Marrakesh, and London. She had been kidnapped by terrorists when they visited Libya on a business trip. It is set in the years Gadaffi was still alive and in charge.

The Dublin Railway Murder by Thomas Morris

Fascinating account of a true story murder which took place in Victorian-era Dublin, the constraints of not having modern forensic technology to aid police investigations and backwards laws which could ultimately allow justice to be evaded.

• Advertisement

Read Stephen King's new short story collection You Like it Darker and John Connolly's The Instruments of Darkness over the past week or so. A lot of the King stories felt like nods to previous works. Well, and there's an actual "follow up" to Cujo in there. The Connolly was fine, it's typical Charlie Parker, you know exactly what you're going to get.

Currently reading Jamie Collinson's The Rejects, which is a very fascinating and entertaining look at people who've been kicked out of bands over the years. I'm not a *huge * non-fiction reader, but ripping through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Charlo30

Manhunt. About the 12 day hunt for John Wilkes Booth. It's a history book but so we'll written it reads like a thriller. Very enjoyable so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

There's also a TV show based on it that came out recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’m not really reading anything until I get proper reading glasses , but to tide me through I’m after ordering one of The Far Side books . They crack me up 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

….

Seaborne by Nuala O'Connor

A fictionalised retelling of the life of Cork born infamous pirate Anne Bonny. I was hoping for a more swashbuckling adventure but the first half of this book is just dedicated to lesbian sex. Disappointed.

My boyfriend buys me a Far Side page-per-day calendar every year. Seeing what each day's cartoon is is a little ritual for us now.

Have loved TFS since I was a kid and my eldest brother had all the books. I didn't get half the jokes, but it didn't matter.

I remember Wordle was APHID one day about two years ago and my dad didn't know what that meant. All I could think of was "Aphids, Henry!".

If you know, you know 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Babyreignbow

Human Kind: a hopeful history by Rutger Bregman. I literally just opened the first page.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

this is what worries me about TFS book . It will take ages to read a page , at least twice , then again when I get it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You'll laugh twice, that way, and when the penny drops you feel clever.

Past Lying by Val McDermid. I only recently started reading her books. This was a good read. Another book set during lockdown in Edinburgh. She was on safe ground with this as it was all about authors and crime writers. A crime writer dies and leaves his archive to the National Library, but among them is an unfinished novel which is very similar to a real life case of a missing student who wanted to become a crime writer and disappears without trace. He had boasted that he could commit the perfect crime, so was this it? It was a Karen Pirie mystery and I enjoyed it, parts of course were a bit far fetched, and I was able to guess the ending.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

None of this is True by Lisa Jewell, I'm about 2/3rds of the way through it and flying through it, so good. She wrote the The Family Upstairs and The Family Remains which were also brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I am binge-reading Patricia Cornwell's Dr Kay Scarpetta series,currently on one I haven't read before

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Wading through the "Untold History of the United States" by Stone and Kuznick.

a Very weighty tome. But, my God, eye-opening. Just covered FDR - Truman - Eisenhower time period. Batsh*t crazy doesnt even scratch the surface of the "beacon of democracy". Truman in particular, seems to have insane levels of "small man syndrome".

The dirty deeds done in the name of Freedom and Democracy ™. Mine eyes are wide open now.

Am not surprised that Georgia and others are rightfully chary of externally funded NGOs.

As we too should be.

onto JFK era soon.

I Was Doctor Mengele's Assistant by Miklós Nyiszli

I picked this up when I visited Auschwitz a couple of weeks ago and got to say it is interesting. This is the first book I have come across that gives the perspective of the Sonderkommando and the horrible things they had to do. Nyiszli's story is an interesting one, particularly considering how closely he had to work with Mengele and the evidence he was able to relate about experimentations on twins, dwarfs, etc. and mass extermination.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Charlo30

Stongbow. The Norman Invasion of Ireland by Conor Kostick. A very good read and excellent account of this period. Just be warned though, for the Irish protagonists he uses the Irish version of their names and not the angelised version. So it can get a bit confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I'm on the 9th Orphan X book by Gregg Hurwitz. Absolutely loving them. Loving Evan Smoak and his vodka collection.

A bit like Jason Bourne, with a little background home life included, if that makes sense.

With nine books in the series (so far) and a film deal in the pipeline, this series is worth reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Just finished Breakdown by Cathy Sweeney. Excellent read. I really got immersed in it. Given the age profile of most Boardsies these days (is there anyone under 35?), I’d say a huge proportion, male and female, will relate to this book.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Advertisement