Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Possibly a positive update for you.

Aer Lingus legal dept challenged the validity of the electronic vote. (Quite the US Republican approach, esoecially when they accepted the ground staff and cabin crew electronic ballots)

So IALPA now running a paper ballot, which ends on Monday 17th.

So absolute earliest strike action is June 25th. And any decisions are usually work to rule before escalating to strike.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/2024/06/14/pilots-at-aer-lingus-to-vote-again-on-industrial-action/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm intruiged by this move. Whenever we have a paper ballot, it's got a lead in time, opportunity for everyone to cast their vote over a space of time (e.g. 2 weeks). Having to present at Cork or Dublin in person by Mon morning seems unusual. What about Shannon pilots? Or if you are on rest days or holidays or sick, you can't/won't be present at the workplace to vote. Seems rushed and open to further query.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭breadmond

No Shannon based pilots these days. I imagine considering how utterly unanimous the last one was this is basically a formality, a few people out sick aren't going to.sway the results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

They didn’t have an issue with the legitimacy of the vote for cabin crew to accept a pay deal which was cast the exact same way🤷🏻‍♂️

The ultimate result of the ballot is an absolute given so all this is doing is pissing around and wasting everyone’s time! They’ll want Adrian Dunne’s head before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I can see some benefit to IALPA having the result turned around Monday…

On the other side some of the commentary from them suggest work to to rule over strike is likely the next step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sailing

I’d say whatever good will that may have been there is gone now.

Trying to tell 98% of their pilot employees that they don’t respect their vote.

An extraordinarily poor management team. They will only delay the inevitable by few days by the looks of it, instead of getting down to the business of actually sorting it. I wonder what IAG will think of this when it’s all over.

The company CEO seems to be keeping a low profile in the media or have I missed her?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Both sides use any excuses.

IALPA were under no pressure to conduct a ballot so could have did a paper one from the start.

Perhaps it was part of there game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There are always games here. If they went on strike and EI went to court to challenge the vote and it was declared invalid then IALPA would be sued into the ground by EI. There are some quite clear procedural elements around votes for strikes involving unions. Votes to accept a pay increase offer are different.

It buys time and IALPA are not challenging this.

The Labour court recommendation is there and EI accepts it, so the ball is with the pilots now as to why they are ignoring the recommendations of the Labour court. Any 'claim' will make little progress when the Labour court recommendation remains unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Lynne has been completely AWOL throughout the entire process thus far. I believe she travelled to London the same evening the ballot result was announced, probably to IAG HQ.

IALPA are not "ignoring" the recommendations of the Labour Court. Their members rejected it. It was a half baked attempt at averting strike action during the peak season. It didn't solve any of the underlying issues including the lower pay scale that new joiners have been on since covid. It directed the parties back to the WRC, a process that had already recently failed to produce any progress. Negotiations have been ongoing for the better part of 2 years in various forms. As the old adage goes: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭notuslimited

Honestly, and I mean this with the greatest of respect to the previous poster, but I think it is unfair to view any recommendation from the Labour Court as a “half baked attempt to avert strike action at peak season”. They are professionals in their role and they called it as they saw it. I think their recommendation is a reflection of the current impasse between pilots and their employer. Unfortunately, we have arrived at the end of the road in terms of negotiations and we are going to see just how much each party to the negotiation is willing to go to achieve their aims.

In the past and by this I mean prior to IAG ownership, I sense that the pilots had a lot of power in negotiations. However, the world has changed and I fear that IAG might be much more reluctant to give in to the pilots demands compared to previous owners. At the end of the day, I can’t see the pilots achieving all of their salary aims. It could get messy over the next few months. I hope not, as my family and I are booked to MCO in July. I am now looking at alternatives.

I understand that it may seem unfair to label it as I did, but that's how I see it. The court is the last step before industrial action is on the table. It should have made a better attempt to resolve the situation. It made no final recommendation and it did not resolve any of the issues at play. It recommended going back to a process that had already failed.

In my view it should have made a full and final recommendation with a decent pay award and some concessions from IALPA for Aer Lingus. If it had done so, maybe we wouldn't be looking down the barrel of strike action now. You can be certain that it was made very clear to the court by IALPA that extensive negotiations over an extended period had made absolutely zero progress on the issues at hand and that there was no evidence that going back to the WRC would result in any change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I respect pilots and can appreciate that they feel their current salaries are unfair. I lurk here and keep as up to date with the industry as a lay person can and love when current & ex pilots tell stories about flights they have taken over the years.

However, as a parent who has spent 12 months saving every penny possible for a family holiday that is now 10 days away I am pissed off. I understand why they would choose to do it now in the height of the busiest season but as an outsider I can tell you they aren't going to garner any sympathy from customers IF they cause delays & cancellations. There probably isn't going to be a winner between IALPA and IAG because neither side will be happy with whatever compromise is finally agreed to, but the biggest losers could end up being families like mine who miss out on their long planned holidays and don't have the money or capacity to take more time off work later in the summer to book a new holiday.

If there is a strike, any public support that exists for pilots will last about as long as it takes a cup of tea to go cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jellies

Probably true. We seem to live in a world where senior management and shareholders can make off like bandits. But when tax paying workers try to assert their value they are denigrated. Probably not much the pilots can do about that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 VivaLasBegas

Exactly. The mind boggles. EI made €225 million profit last year so they can well afford it. Three top management split €2.8m for what most here seem to agree is epic mismanagement yet the pilots are the bad guys? Management teams and shareholders are only interested in the short term and usually move on after 3 years or so, pilots in EI often have 35 year careers. So who is more interested in the long term? Obviously the pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Out of interest and transparency.

What is the beginning and average salary for an Aer Lingus pilot?

Was discussing it last night with someone who works in maintenance and they said thought starting as a first officer is around €90k working up to a captain starting at around €130k and there’s allowances on top of this. I see online estimates are from €60k to €165k from entrant to 20 years of service.

Is that true? Because a 24% (pretax) increase in that is €14k (at €60k) to €21k (at €90k) right up to €31k (at €130k) to €70k (€165k).

They’re some big increases at the higher end of the scale in a country where the average income is €38k a year.

Gonna be some really pissed off members of the public if they miss as much of a single day of their annual holiday because someone doesn’t think €60k+ is enough money to earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I don't think a single person here has said the pilots are the bad guys. But that being the default position when anybody doesn't give 100% support for the pilots is very telling. Shareholders and pilots will continue to be well compensated, my personal concern is for my family and the hundreds if not thousands of others in similar circumstances of having to lose out on their one holiday a year. That's obviously not an issue for shareholders or pilots

The labour court recommendation makes interesting reading:

RECOMMENDATION:
    This matter comes before the Court following the failure of the parties to find agreement with the assistance of an independent mediator and the rejection by the Trade Union of a recommendation of the parties’ Pilot Pay Tribunal (PPT). The PPT has been the tribunal through which the parties have resolved pay round issues for many years.

Following the rejection by the Trade Union of the recommendations of the PPT, the matter was referred to the Conciliation Service of the Workplace Relations Commission and ultimately by way of a joint referral to the Labour Court. It is not clear that any progress at all was achieved at conciliation despite the best efforts of the WRC.

The background to the matter includes the fact that three-year pay round agreements have been reached between the employer and all other collectively bargained groups in the employment. Those agreements have provided for pay increase as follows:

2% with effect from 1st January 2023,

1.75% with effect from 1st July 2023

2% with effect from 1st October 2023

3.5% with effect from 1st January 2024

3% with effect from 1st January 2025.

Total percentage pay increase in the period – 12.25% 

Plus: A non-consolidated payment equivalent to 1.5% of pay is provided for in October 2024

The claim now before the Court is a claim for a pay increase of

7% with effect from 1st November 2022

6% with effect from 1st March 2023

6.1% with effect from 1st March 2024

4.7% with effect from 1st March 2025

Total percentage pay increase in the period – 23.8%

The matters before the Court additionally concern:

1. Disputation as regards the operation and funding model which form a ‘crewing agreement’ concluded between the parties in October 2019.
    2. Disputation as regards engagement in relation to potential increases in the value of overnight allowances.
    3. Disputation as regards the structure of pilot pay scales. The changes in scales agreed by the parties in 2021 and implemented in 2022 remain the status quo pending any agreed alteration to that agreement.

The parties before the Court have a long history of constructive engagement and have demonstrated a capacity to achieve collective agreement between them on matters giving rise to disputation over many years. It is a matter of concern to the Court that the extensive engagement between the parties in relation to the matters now before the Court has not resulted in any discernible indication of understanding by the parties that the resolution of the trade dispute will require the exercise of pragmatism, realism and common sense in order to identify a position that has the potential to be accepted by both.

The emphasis of the submissions made by the parties to the Court has been to highlight the significant difference between the parties as regards almost all matters in dispute.

The Court notes the concern of the Trade Union to relate itself to pilot employees of other airlines across Europe and the group within which Aer Lingus is situated. The Court also notes that the employer maintains a collective relationship with a range of Trade Unions representing various categories of staff, including this Trade union representing another category of worker, with whom it has concluded pay agreements which are current.

In all of the circumstances the Court recommends as follows:

1. That the parties recognise that the scope of the agreement which they have been pursuing through various fora from December 2022 is beyond their capacity at this time, and that the continuing failure to secure comprehensive agreement has the potential to become a point of dispute in itself.
    2. That a fresh and stabilising approach is required which would allow continuing dialogue against a reasonable platform of wage growth across the period to date.
    3. That, in order to create that stabilising platform, and recognising the fact that parties have not resolved the matter of their dispute relating to the operation and funding of their crewing agreement, the following measures be agreed as an interim resolution:
      • The crewing agreement involves changes to leave rosters and associated arrangements. The parties agreed that a ‘debt’ arises as a result of the implementation of that agreement which is to be discharged in the context of pay increases over time.

This interim Recommendation is based on the implementation of the pay increases set out below without an adjustment to implement the ‘debt’ discharge arrangements against pay increases recommended up to and including 1st January 2024.

The matter of the ‘debt’ arising from the implementation of the crewing agreement, and any adjustment to the structure of that agreement, should form part of the final agreement on the matters currently in dispute.

• The implementation of the following increases in pay:
      • 2% with effect from 1st January 2023,
      • 1.75% with effect from 1st July 2023
      • 2% with effect from 1st October 2023
      • 3.5% with effect from 1st January 2024
    • The continuation of engagement, with the assistance of the WRC, on all matters in dispute with a view to reaching overall agreement. That engagement to be concluded by the end of August 2024. In the event of a failure to find overall agreement with the assistance of the WRC, outstanding matters to be referred again to the Court for a final and definitive recommendation. Insofar as the matter of overnight expenses is concerned, any further referral of the matter to the Court should be accompanied by a joint outline of any relevant consideration of Revenue rules in relation to the matter.

The Court so recommends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

@OU812 without giving specific numbers I can assure you that starting salary for an FO is waaayyyy off, and even more so for cadets! There are even captains that earn less than €90K. Many captains do earn over 100k that’s true, but just as many don’t. A lot depends on when they become captain etc and while pilots are well paid compared to the average 9-5 office worker, they don’t earn the big bucks people think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

As memory serves me correctly, there never has been any serious public support for pilots or cabin crew alike when it comes to strike action.

Cabin crew gave again and again and again and were still treated like dirt. When they tried to garner public support it never happened and so many people went with the "aren't you lucky to have a job" line!

Flying life is still seen as a glamorous life and the reality is that its still a job with long hours and somewhat low pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Astral Nav

Starting salary is €45k. That's based on a COVID recovery scale. Yes, a C19 cut is hard wired into the payscale for new joiners. Add in maybe 100k debt as most pilot's pay for their own training and licence. Pay claim is essentially just looking for inflation tracking after a five year freeze.

Have a serious medical issue at any stage and you're career ends

Oh and forty years of multiple checks, training and assessments and quite a bit of responsibility every day and especially on those stormy days when RTE are screaming at everyone to stay indoors.

Mods will probably remind us this is a route and fleet thread. Fair enough, maybe we need a new thread the. I'm sure every pilot would just rather be flying those routes but they can't just sit on an effective 25% pay cut due to inflation whilst management reward themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Yes, I don't think many people here have referred to the actual report. Reading between the lines (which isn't hard), the Court is saying that the dispute can only be solved if the parties on both sides will accept that pragmatism and compromise is required. That's stating the obvious from an IR point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dash8q400

Just wondering why the pilots would care what the public think? The public aren't going to win them a pay rise nor has public support ever mattered to any group going through IR disputes. They should fight for their fair share just as any union would be expected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭john boye

Does someone on the average wage in this country have to pay the equivalent of the often excessive cost of becoming a pilot in order to get into their chosen line of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 StakeholderValue

Some facts:

Starting salary cadet pilot = €36k

Starting salary experienced pilot = €45k

Starting salary 320 rated pilot = €59k

Starting salary Captain = €88k

Top of Incremental Scale is reached after 26 years of service.

During Covid Pilots took a 50% paycut to Basic. Effectively a 70% paycut due to no flying and therefore no variable pay.

Pilots existed on effective 30% pay for 18 months and advocated for antigen testing, vaccines and then the restart/continuation of aviation and of the airline throughout the pandemic. They flew 30hr round trips to Beijing to bring PPE back to Ireland at the beginning of the pandemic in 2020. They were ready to go for any other Cargo contracts that materialised if Aer Lingus commercial showed ambition to secure any.

Pilots who joined after April 2020 are still on an effective 10% paycut.

Pilots have had no payrise since their 2017 pay deal applied a 2% increase in June 2019.

The Aer Lingus Incremental pilot is the same now as it was in January 2010.

INFLATION IN THAT TIME PERIOD 29.2%

For New Joiners since April 2020 the Aer Lingus Incremental pilot payscale is 10% less than it was in January 2010.

The pilots seek a total pay increase of 40 to 45 million across the business. Aer Lingus carried 10.7million passengers in 2023.

The total pilot pay claim if awarded would cause fares to increase by between €3 to €5 per ticket per passenger.

Since 2019 the average total pay increase for Irish workers is 24%.

The top 3 managers Lynne Embleton (CEO), Elizabeth Haun (CFO) and Donal Moriarty (Chief of Corporate Affairs). Enjoyed a 155% payrise in 2023. Splitting a package of €2.8million between them

Who is being unreasonable? The pilots who maintain a career for 30 to 40 years with the airline and are invested in its success or the Aer Lingus senior management who are there for a few years before moving onto the next personal money making scheme……

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

very interesting facts - thanks and the figures for pilot salaries are much lower than I would have expected. I think looking for 45 million per year, from a company that makes 200 million a year seems high, but I do appreciate the history.

Out of curiosity what are the starting salaries at FR? And what is the average pilot salary at Aer Lingus?

Ultimately something will be sorted but I think we are in for a bumpy ride and can’t see how a full strike is avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

the other thing is, with the cap, this is the best year for EI to face a strike. Any pax lost can in a way be made up later with flights they may not have been able to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,613 ✭✭✭Trampas

If pilots took a work to rule would that leave people in a worse position as flight could be cancelled on the day because a member of the flight team are unable to fly? Or if some sort of strike action is taken where they fly 50% of flights who decides what routes fly?

• Advertisement

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Could I ask what is a FO after 8 years earning per month including all allowances and flight pay. Can you also include the numbers for a Capt with 20 years service. Could you provide your best guesstimate/ballpark for each.

Advertisement