Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Great win for Pats

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers are keeping Pats up singlehandedly again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wouldn't have said sensational, he had two very good moments in the game I thought, one in each half (and neither of them was his goal funnily 😂) Power marshalled him well enough beyond that. Thought Martin got through a lot of good unselfish work for ye up top.

Aye the playing about cost us and could be seen coming. That was the 3rd time Horton had made a **** of it and finally punished, he did similar a few minutes later and was eventually taken off but the damage was done.

Break is coming at the right time for us, missing some big players now and stuck with the likes of Mcmenamy playing week in week out isn't good, squad is still very thin so could do with the rest and hopefully probably not gonna have anyone back bar maybe McDonald depending on what forced him off in the first half but Amond can at least have a much needed rest.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Big win for us tonight, didn't see us getting one in the 2nd half, but Bohs sat further and further back as the game went on.

Pity Shels wouldn't drop a few points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

In all seriousness, that's an absolutely massive win for us. To get out of Waterford with 3 points is no easy feat. Wasn't expecting it looking at things logically, but had a feeling we'd scrape it somehow.

Derry are becoming a bit of a pain, hanging in there. You'd think once you shake Rovers you'd be in the clear, but the longer they hang in, the more nervous you'd become. I think we'll still have too much for them by the end of the season. Still waiting for this run Rovers are supposed to make. They're done, as I told people from the start.

On the balance, Derry deserved their last minute winner, we've had our share, so over the season these things tend to work themselves out. But going away and grinding a 1-0 win against the likes of Waterford on a Thursday is what wins you titles.

Pat's it must be said, deserved a last minute winner themselves finally. Had a few cruel draws and defeats in the last minute alot this season, which probably doesn't reflect how they've played at times.

Drogheda were playing well for alot of this season and weren't getting the results their play deserved. I'd say it disheartened them somewhat, now they arent getting the results but also aren't playing well. The less said about Bohs the better, all over the place, no direction on or off the field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

We're going down. We've got the worst squad in the league and need too many players to plug the gaps.

Lincoln lads are poor, Pierrot is awful, Foley, Deegan & Brennan's legs are gone, Heeney has always been poor.

We're goosed.

He is man marked by two players every game. But as you see, he still creates moments every match, that generally win us the game. He simply can't be contained for the full 90 minutes, and when he gets free he's lethal, wins us games every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A great win and comfortable too, Drogs didn't have a chance throughout the game. We took our chances for a change which was great to see. Chief did brilliantly for his goal late on too, super finish for a lad who came on to ensure we kept the clean sheet.

He had very little to do with his goal, I don't want to get into a debate on this, he was very good tonight he is a threat to every defence in the league and twice tonight he managed to cut loose a little and had our defence in trouble. He certainly wasn't man marked by two players though, Darragh Power and him had a very good battle. A one on one battle.

I can see Derry pipping ye but with how hard ye are to break down, ye will take some beating to the title. Only time we got the ball in the net was an offside and in truth though the last few minutes ye were hanging on a little over the 90 minutes we found it very hard to get much change out of that defence. I know us being leggy and the squad being stretched had a say in that too but credit where its due, ye contained us well overall.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

rovers really done their money on that new contract for Jack Byrne

• Advertisement

His moments are single handedly winning us the league. Without the stuff he creates, we'd be dropping points and getting draws every week. I told people the league was over the minute we signed him, and he's the difference.

Waterford probably could argue they deserved a draw, but at the same time many teams feel like that after a game with us. They have the ball and feel like they're playing well, but there's a reason they often can't get the goal, our defence is immense. Make everything scrappy and tough for the opposition, very hard to break down

It's hard to argue with that assessment. Ye appear short everywhere, keeper was weak on our opener, centre halves were very poor, midfield lacks creativity and presence and Pierrot came on and mostly just gave away free kicks. Ye arguably would want 4 or 5 incomings and they'd need to make an immediate impact.

Was it? Haven't seen a replay but from the stand I thought he looked off as heartbreaking as it was.

Officiating is very poor in the league in general though so you never know

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

That's woeful from the officials but one you'll nearly always see given, no matter how bad it is. Infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Is it known if Weir will be leaving for Walsall or could he stay beyond the end of the month? Drogs look in a bad way alright but the league is so poor this year that if they manage to get themselves together, add one or two and have a bit more luck in games you can pick up wins against anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Can we play you every week ? 😀

We deserved it tonight. Much better performance. Axel Sjoberg was great, made a big difference and Chris Forrestor was a man on a mission for the last half hour of the game particularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Well, Longford lost again, so at least we're consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Nothing beats a last minute winner against your fierce rivals. Not necessarily undeserved either as we created enough chances tonight although Rovers did have their fair share too. Kenny got his subs right tonight, Turner isn't a left back but he's done fairly well out of position for most of the season but not tonight. Farrugia roasted him with his pace and Rovers goal came from his pull back. McClelland isn't really a left back either but he's much quicker and that helped get Farrugia under control. Keating actually scored a minute before his first but it was offside. Both were great finishes although Stacey's pass for the equaliser was woeful. The winner is great work from Forrester who was on it in the 2nd half tonight, an excellent cross from Sjoberg who made a huge difference at right back, if he only had functioning hamstrings, and an excellent run and header from Kavanagh who had just replaced Melia who did a fine job and was very unlucky not to get a penalty after Stacey brought him down in the 1st minute after a magnificent cross from Mulraney. Great win but we need to back it up next time out now.

Rovers are strange this season, at times they were unplayable, but also really ordinary for considerable chunks of the match. Their injury record is crazy both Grace and Holohan went off tonight. Byrne was poor when he came on and looked a shadow of his best. Stacey was at fault for the equaliser and that he is their 2nd choice keeper is baffling. Really looks like they need a big rejuvenation at season end regardless of where they finish in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Have seen the video replay that some people are using as irrefutable evidence but he looked very slightly off to me too

We haven't heard anything so presume that he is leaving.

For all his threat from a deadball, he is weak defensively. Conor Kane is a better defender.

In his post-match interview last night, Kev mentioned signings; he'll need to make several.

• Advertisement

Rumour at the game last night that ye are struggling getting Visas for some Yanks ye that your owners/investors want to bring over. Could be classic LOI waffle too.

Echoes of Peak 6 and Wild Bill if that's the case.

I haven't heard that rumour myself. We have signed a striker from Walsall for a year loan up to the end of the next english league season.

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/sport/drogheda-get-in-early-to-nab-saddlers-striker-on-loan/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

That's Rovers done you'd imagine, 11 points is a lot to make up, they're depending on us going into some sort of meltdown slump, won't happen. I think we'll make a couple of signings in this window to bolster the squad for the run-in and 2 European matches.

I don't see us going past the first round. Which is fine for our first season back in Europe. There will be lots of "Duff has been found out" style comments, but they'll be jealous haters. I think we are a season too early for Europe personally anyway.

Derry keep hanging on, and things could very easily change quickly of course, but we also keep grinding out results either matching or bettering Derry week to week.

Interesting run in anyway, it will be intense after the break.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Reynolds might not last the season.

Seems to be a lot of Bohs fans p*ssed about him being away with the 21s for the week. Was that not known at the time?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It wasn't mentioned at all at the time of hiring that he would retain his role. There was an article that wasn't really definitive but it mentioned he wouldn't be in Croatia as it clashed with the Rovers game. Now obviously that was subsequently called off so it seems he's joined up with the U21s. Didn't take training for the last week.

Now that's fine if you're playing well, but if you're turning in utterly abject performances like against Waterford and Derry and have 1 win in 8, the optics aren't great and that's the best thing you can say about it.

All this wouldn't be a major issue if one extra line was put in the statement announcing him as new manager "Alan will retain his role as U21s manager until the end of the season". But it seems a lot of people only found out he was in Croatia was when he appeared in a press photo.

The tide seems to have turned already and it's hard to turn it back. He is under major pressure from now.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd be binning Fenlon before Reynolds tbh

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

is the man Miller from Estonia a waste of space? He’s at no age to be phoning it in. Doesn’t seem like even their most talented players are doing anything? Connolly, Clarke?

I don't think he's been played in his strongest position at any point, I thought he was supposed to be a number 8 or number 10, he played right back last night and has been played on the wing in other games.

Clarke has had a poor season, Connolly has everything except a final ball and in both cases, neither of them have anyone to get the ball too anyway.

The crux of the matter is the defence though, so many simple errors and so poor from set pieces, it's basic stuff. Zero creativity means we're not winning games, but brutal defending is why we are losing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Gavin Molloy leaving Shels for Aberdeen. Huge loss for us

Big loss for sure. Hopefully club can pick up someone good until end of season at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hopefully it'll cause a collapse in your rather solid defence!

Think that’s more about Duffer and Joey tbh. I’d be more nervous if someone like Bohs sacked Reynolds and went after Joey O’Brien.

We were without Barrett last night and had to move Molloy from LCB to RCB and Ledwidge from LB to LCB and it didn’t create a noticeable difference.

Griffin coming back from injury to play beside Barrett and we’ll surely sign someone. Would still imagine that if we fall short it’ll be because of those games where the goals don’t come. 10 1 goal wins this season has meant we’ve relied on some really fine margins.

I doubt that is true given how many Americans (and other nationalities) Athlone's American investors have brought over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

We've weathered losing Jack Moylan and likewise I'm confident we will be very strong without Gav Molloy, a replacement to be signed in July is a given but it's a definite wound for Shels losing Molloy fantastic mature young defender who can still improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Rovers big issue is in goal, Mannus is a big loss. Last night was a replica of the previous game, get in front and give a stupid equaliser by passing around the back. Get defense sorted and Rovers have enough up front to win every game

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭I told ya

Shels being linked with Ali Coote. Always liked him as a player, and a lot more to his potential than we've seen.

He's the sort of player Shels are missing, a central playmaker. If he came and Duff got the best out of him, he could be a huge signing

He was a great old fashioned centre forward who had a great eye for goal.

RIP

Him and Sam Bone from Maidstone (ex Dundalk also) are being heavily talked about as joining us yeah.

I’d be pleased enough to add Coote, but if it means we’re not getting Harry Wood (I’d previously heard people say it was basically done) then I’m less enthusiastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Sam Bone was at Pats too. He’s ok, but noth8ng to get excited about.

Smart business from Duffer targeting lads who will improve the team and also already know the league. Not enough games left to do the former with newbies who need 10 games to get to grips with things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Boooourns

He played in Maidstones cup victory over Ipswich. He's a good player to be fair to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

plenty of Pats fans wouldn't fully agree with the last sentence. A very average player at both right and center back. Nice fellow apparently at least.

You would expect Bone won’t be a starter btw unless Griffin’s return from injury is not to plan (he came on at Waterford so hopefully can start next week)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Duff has seemed to get a lot out of players that didn't necessarily shine elsewhere though. It would be an interesting signing to see what he could do.

The only good thing with the Coote signing is that it’s a want rather than a need signing. Not completely sure whose spot he takes in the team immediately, so he will have to be on his game to get in.

If Wood gets signed too. It will be even harder for him to the point where I’d be very surprised that we’re signing both of them. Jarvis, Burt, Caffrey, Matty Smith all playing well in those attacking positions that are neither CM or CF.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Rovers got possibly the worst draw we could have gotten.

Vikingur Reykjavík

At least the second leg is at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I reckon Celje would have been the most difficult draw for Rovers and Vikingur would have been the 2nd worst though having 2nd leg at home is a small consolation for Rovers

Here's hoping Shels get drawn this afternoon with Tre Penne for a trip to San Marino, I wouldn't be happy we draw Breidablik or F91 Dudelange we could be up against it with those two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

St Josephs!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement